News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outbound OBiTALK Calls Stopped Working

Started by ricky, May 25, 2014, 12:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricky

A couple days ago, one of my OBi110 units became unable to make outbound calls over the OBiTALK network. Inbound OBiTALK calls still work, and outbound SIP calls still work. I did a factory-reset on the unit, and the problem remains. I have another OBi110 and an OBi100 at the same location that are still working just fine. I even rebooted my router, but the problem still remains on the one unit.

Outbound OBiTALK call attempts on the affected unit all get a busy signal about 8 seconds after dialing. The call state during this time shows "trying" for PHONE1 and "lookup" for OBiTALK1. The OBiTALK Service Status shows "Normal (User Mode)", just like the working units do.

What could be wrong?

giqcass

As a test create a speed dial with the following
PP(ob222222222)

See if that will connect.  If it does you may have a corrupted dial plan somewhere.

Long live our new ObiLords!

ricky

Thanks for the reply giqcass. I just tried your suggestion, and the result is the same, about 8 seconds of silence after dialing, then a fast busy. Note that the problem remained the same even right after a factory reset, before restoring any saved config. The digit map is factory default at that point.

One thing I didn't mention before is that the OBiTALK1 call state is briefly "turn-alloc", whatever that means, prior to ending on "lookup" for most of the time before the busy signal. This happens on dialing any OBiTALK number, including using your speed dial test. The call log always shows the outbound call, but never "Call Connected". So it is not that the OBi is refusing to attempt the call, it just doesn't work. I don't think there would be a call log entry if the call didn't pass digit map processing, would it?

Usetheforceobiwan

I would try disabling the Obitalk network connection, re-booting, re-enabling the Obitalk network and then re-booting.  I suggest this as you might have some garbage in one of the caches someplace and this might help clear it out.

ricky

Just tried your suggestion, Usetheforceobiwan, but it didn't work. I even tried leaving it unplugged for a couple hours, in hope that the OBiTALK server would forget about, but no luck. It's as if this OBi is cursed.

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: ricky on May 25, 2014, 07:54:57 PM
Just tried your suggestion, Usetheforceobiwan, but it didn't work. I even tried leaving it unplugged for a couple hours, in hope that the OBiTALK server would forget about, but no luck. It's as if this OBi is cursed.

Do you do your setup of the Obi via the Obitalk portal or do you do your setup via the webpage of your local LAN?  The reason I ask, if you do your setup via Obihai's Obitalk portal (not locally), some people have had luck by removing their Obi from the Obitalk portal and then adding it back to the portal.  Be sure to save your settings if you go this route. 

ricky

The problematic OBi110 has always been managed locally, it was never added to the portal. I have another OBi110 that is also managed only via its local web page, and an OBi100 managed via the portal. OBiTALK calling works fine on both of those.

I was thinking that maybe the firmware somehow got corrupted, so I attempted to re-flash it with the (same) latest version, but the firmware update page won't allow it.

I assume that there are multiple OBiTALK servers that these devices can register on, though if there were a problem with one of those, I would expect others to be experiencing the same issue, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

giqcass

You could try downgrading and then upgrading.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Usetheforceobiwan

The fact that you can get inbound OT calls suggests Obitalk is not the problem as a solid inbound route suggests full server recognition of your device.  

Couple questions:

1). No reason to suspect port forwarding issues with router?  (BTW OT uses different ports than the regular SPs)

2). Is SIP ALG turned OFF in your router?

3). What does the Obi call history show for these uncompleted calls?

ricky

Hi Everyone,

Last night, I think around 9:00 PM or later, I found that my problematic OBi110 suddenly was able to make outbound OBiTALK calls once more. I didn't do anything, it just started working as mysteriously as it had stopped several days ago. I tried to get on the forum to tell you guys, but then the OBiTALK portal itself appeared to be completely down, and was still down this morning. All I can imagine is that something was messed up on Obihai's servers that didn't effect everyone.

For the record, I never had SIP ALG enabled in my router, and there are no VoIP-related port forwards. The calls that didn't go through looked normal in the problem OBi's log, except they never got to "Connected" status. They looked like any unanswered call. The called OBi showed no trace of an incoming call, even in the live Call Status while a call was being attempted. Inbound calls worked normally.

Everything is now magically back to normal after several days of downtime.

Usetheforceobiwan

LOL, I had said to try clear out your Obi's cache, based on this development it looks like Obihai needed to clear out THEIR server's cache or something.  Some sort of corruption maybe that randomly impacted certain Obi's?  Who knows  ???

ricky

It's back! The same frustrating problem I had back in May has returned as of last night. One of my 3 OBi devices at home, the same one as before, can no longer make outbound calls over the OBiTALK network. Incoming OBiTALK calls work fine. SIP calls work both ways. No amount of rebooting/power cycling/factory resetting makes any difference. Last time the problem went away on its own, but only after several days of downtime. Dialing any OBiTALK number from the affected unit just gives a fast busy after a few seconds delay.

This is really frustrating, as the primary purpose of this unit it to access (via OBiTALK) a magicjack physically connected to another OBi110's LINE port for outbound calls.

Is anyone else having a problem with outbound OBiTALK calls? If anyone from Obihai is listening, I'd appreciate your checking out your servers.

Midshires

It will be of no consolation to you but I have the same problem.

This is the second day that ObiTALK has been 'off the air', at least at this location in England. Nothing has changed with my equipment and setup. But ObiTALK has stopped working outgoing (I have no means telling whether incoming calls would work).

I have tried repeatedly power cycling both the Obi100 terminal adapters and the BT Home Hub 4 (a residential gateway router modem), all to no avail. I know my broadband service is fine and a Vonage phone using its own Vonage terminal adapter and connected to the same router modem works as per normal.

But ObiTALK does nothing. The Obi100s are sitting there with a solid green light and the central green LED flickers occasionally.

Keying ***1 gives a readout of the local IP address.

Keying **9 222 222 222 returns busy tone.

Keying 222 222 222 without a prefix returns "There is no service to complete your call".

I'm at my wits' end. Although I am a great evangelist for the Obi product range, this level of unreliability is very disappointing. All help will be very welcome!

Andy Emmerson.

BigJim_McD

On my OBi devices, I get the following results calling the OBi ECHO Test.

1)  on OBi202  dialing  **9222222222 returns busy tone.
2)  on OBi110  dialing  **9222222222 connects to OBi Echo Test.
3)  on OBi100  dialing  **9222222222 connects to OBi Echo Test.

Note1: All other calls on all three devices (incoming and outgoing) 
          work correctly, including direct calls from OBi device to the OBi device.
Note2: The OBi202 has Vestalink, Google Voice and voip.ms as service
          providers and all calls to and from all Service Provider Ports are working correctly

The issue of being unable to call the **9222222222 OBi Echo Test number has
occurred before, then clear up for a while only to return again.
BigJimMcD

SteveInWA

It's an issue on their end.  I have the same problem...yesterday it went from both of my two devices working, to neither, to one working, and that's where it sits now.  There's a related thread with respect to devices showing as offline on the portal, and I found that the OBiTALK SP slot shows as "backing off" on the local web page for the failing device.

Open a ticket with them.  I did.  They need enough cage-rattling to recognize that it's not isolated to some user error.