News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 & PhonePower. Good, but no message waiting indicator.

Started by JeffCo01, May 28, 2014, 05:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffCo01

Hello,

I was hoping someone might have an answer, or a fix, for this? Since my changeover to PhonePower our service has worked really well. The problem is that we have no way of knowing if we get a voicemail. We have completely switched to PP, so no Google Voice VM. Just the Voicemail provided by PP.

I have talked with PP's (  :D ) support several times and the final answer was they know it's a problem, but "maybe" not their problem. So they suggested I talk with OBihai. I sent OBi support an email explaining what was said, but never got a response. I found a few posts here on the forums that sounded promising, but nothing corrected the problem. Any help would sure be appreciated.

This is what I've tried so far...

I've checked  X_MWISubscribe
I've set X_MWISuscribeExpires to 3600
I've tried setting X_MWISubscribeURI to xxxxxxxxxx@sip.phonepower.com
I've tried setting X_CallWaitingIndication to Alert-Info
(all setting I found while searching this forum... Thank you, by the way!)

Taoman

What kind of phone(s) do you have? I assume you know that they support this functionality?

Have you checked both of these settings under Voice Service>SPx service and they are enabled?

MWIEnable
X_VMWIEnable

ekeby

I have the opposite problem. All my calls are going directly to Google Voicemail, without ringing my phones. I know the calls are going through PhonePower, but I don't know why they are going to google voicemail directly instead of ringing.

kittyworld

I have the same problem as Jeff: my panasonic phone's VM indicator won't lit up when I have PP VM. I later decided to stick w/ GV's VM because out going calls are still working and GV's VM will lit up the indicator as always. However, I would like to know a solution to the PP VM indictor problem too because sooner or later GV will stop working.

JeffCo01

Quote from: Taoman on May 28, 2014, 08:16:30 AM
What kind of phone(s) do you have? I assume you know that they support this functionality?

Have you checked both of these settings under Voice Service>SPx service and they are enabled?

MWIEnable
X_VMWIEnable

Hi Taoman,
  And thank you for replying. My phones voicemail indicator worked perfectly when I was using Google Voice. It's only been since moving completely away from GV, using just PhonePower, that it has stopped.
  Both MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable have a red exclamation point beside them (and a sort of greyed-out checkmark), and Have an asterisk beside the "OBiTalk settings" checkmark.
  Short of just buying and answering machine and bypassing PP's ( :D) voicemail altogether, I don't know what else to try. I really don't like that they (PP) just laid it off on OBi as being their fault. But, then again, I'm not too happy with OBi for not at least giving some sort of reply to my email either.

Thanks, again.
Jeffrey

HDFLucky

I placed a voice support call with pp, which was handled by their tier-2. He tried a couple of things, but said it just confirmed his suspicion that this was an ongoing issue with the latest f/w (which I have installed). In fact, he said that there is an open ticket between the two companies, seeking a solution from OBi, and suggested I contact Obihai directly. After trying some things on my own (including a full factory reset and the settings that have been mentioned in this thread), I did so on Sunday. When I got home from work today, I saw that it was fixed. I checked all my settings, and they were unchanged. About 15mins later, I received an email from Obihai support. Here is the text of it:
QuoteDo this:
1. Login to www.obitalk.com
2. Click your OBi
3. Click "OBi Expert Configuration"
example below is for SP1 setting

-> Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A SIP
Check/Enable X_MWISubscribe
You have already done the above, so no need to do anything for "X_MWISubscribe"

X_MWISubscribeURL = AuthUsername@sip.phonepower.com

AuthUsername is what you put for PhonePower SIP Username that is usually a 10 digit number

Click Submit
wait for 2 minutes until your OBi got this new configuration.

-Obihai Support Team
As they stated, I already had X_MWISubscribe set. However, X_MWISubscribeURL is not set, and it still works! I have a feeling they downgraded my f/w and this is just a face-saving measure to make the customer think it's their (or phonepower's) fault. I wish I had noted my f/w version before, but it is now 3.0.1 (Build: 4350). THis is on an OBi202, but I'm sure it's a similar situation with the OBi100.

Any 202 users with this problem that have a higher f/w version than 4350?

Taoman

Quote from: JeffCo01 on May 28, 2014, 04:19:36 PM

Both MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable have a red exclamation point beside them (and a sort of greyed-out checkmark), and Have an asterisk beside the "OBiTalk settings" checkmark.

Thanks, again.
Jeffrey

Since you had been working with PhonePower tech support I assumed this would have been filled in properly but it is a great question to ask. What do you have for the followng:

Service Providers>ITSP Profile X>X_MWISubscribeURI

As HDFLucky states, it should be your PP SIP username@sip.phonepower.com where username should be your 10-digit PP phone number.

Sparks

I also have had the same issue with my Obi202 and Phonepower--ie, no message waiting indication.  I have firmware 3.0.1 (Build: 4350).

My first step was to contact PP, and the PP tech support emailed me saying:  "This is a follow up email regarding the ticket you recently opened with us about your service. There was a defect with the obi devices which was causing a large amount of load on our servers and we currently disabled the MWI for obi devices at this time. We are working on a resolution with obihai on this defect. For the time being we are leaving this function on, we do apologize for the inconvenience."

Also, a few days ago I received an email from PP saying: "Our engineers have been working with Obihai to resolve an issue that was causing inconsistencies with the message waiting status of Obihai devices with a model of 2xx.  The solution involves a firmware update which can be processed through the Obitalk portal."  But I already have the latest firmware.

I was able to get the MWI to work again by simply checking the X_MWISubscribe box as noted above.  I did not need to enter anything into the X_MWISubscribeURI field.

JeffCo01

QuoteSince you had been working with PhonePower tech support I assumed this would have been filled in properly but it is a great question to ask. What do you have for the followng:

Service Providers>ITSP Profile X>X_MWISubscribeURI

As HDFLucky states, it should be your PP SIP username@sip.phonepower.com where username should be your 10-digit PP phone number.

In "Service Providers>ITSP Profile X>X_MWISubscribeURI" I entered xxxxxxxxxx@sip.phonepower.com ... xxxxxxxxxx being my 10 digit phone number. But it didn't help. I did finally receive the exact same email as HDFLucky did. I wrote them back, letting them know it had no effect.

I found what seems to be an inconsistency between the Obi Expert Configuration, and the setup page locally in my OBi100. And this, so far anyway, seems to have corrected the problem. Here it is...

In the local configuration page (inside the OBi from my local network), going to...
Voice Services> SP1> Call Features> there are the following...
MWIEnable - checked
X_VMWIEnable - checked
Message Waiting - this one was not only NOT checked, but it doesn't even exist in the OBi Dashboards Expert Configuration.

I checked it, rebooted the OBi and the message waiting indicator on my phone came on (I have had several messages waiting while I tested everything).

Now, since this "Message Waiting" doesn't exist in the online Expert Configuration, I don't know what will happen when the OBi reboots/resets/etc.  I also have no idea why it isn't there in the first place. But, for this minute anyway, the MWI seems to be working.

If anyone has knowledge of this, why it's not in the Expert Conf., or how to make it "stick", i would really appreciate the info.

Thanks again, everyone!
Jeffrey

Sparks

JeffCo01, I can confirm what you have observed.  The MessageWaiting checkbox does show up when I log into my Obi202 directly, but MessageWaiting line is not there when I go through the Obi Expert portal.

I do not have the MessageWaiting checkbox checked, but I do have my message indicator working just by checking MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable.

JeffCo01

Quote from: Sparks on May 29, 2014, 07:17:33 AM
JeffCo01, I can confirm what you have observed.  The MessageWaiting checkbox does show up when I log into my Obi202 directly, but MessageWaiting line is not there when I go through the Obi Expert portal.

I do not have the MessageWaiting checkbox checked, but I do have my message indicator working just by checking MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable.

Sparks,
  Probably a good thing you didn't check "MessageWaiting", haha! It turned on my message waiting indicator, but would never turn it off!

But while I was snooping around locally in my OBi100 I found 3 things... X_MWISubscribe was NOT selected, X_MWISubscribeURL had the word "FALSE" entered, and X_MWISubscribeExpires had the word "FALSE" entered.

In my OBi Expert Configuration I have all of the correct info entered. So it seems that the OBiTalk network and my OBi100 aren't completely keeping in sync. Which seems really strange to me, since I do have my device set to sync with the network.

Anyway, I changed the settings locally (removing "FALSE", entering correct settings, and selecting X_MWISubscribe) and now everything is working just right!

PhonePower had said they "turned off" messaging for OBi devices while they tried to correct a problem. I'm wondering if the "turned off" they spoke of is how I ended up with "FALSE" entered into my settings? I am also wondering if, somehow, they fixed it so that those settings wouldn't change whenever my OBi and the OBiTalk network were to sync up?

Jeffrey