News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What VOIP provider will most people use after GV is finally turned off?

Started by onepolarbear, May 28, 2014, 09:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onepolarbear

What VOIP provider will most people use after GV is finally turned
off?

I've been playing around with CallCentric....I don't even care that
the free phone number has a New York state area code.

Just wondering if there are other ones that people like better?   
I don't make many incoming or outgoing calls on my home phone. 
Currently my Obi110 with Google Voice is hooked up to my home
cordless phone.   I make and receive 90% of my calls on my cell
phone. 

Thanks!

gderf

There are far too many providers in this business to be able to any particular one will be the choice of most users.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

onepolarbear

Quote from: gderf on May 28, 2014, 09:51:12 AM
There are far too many providers in this business to be able to any particular one will be the choice of most users.

which are the top 3 providers in terms of number of customers or annual revenue?

riptcity00

There are many good options discussed on the forums.  I'm using Callcentric as a backup and like their  service, but have been using Vestalink since it was announced and haven't looked back.   All the added features are a perk, but the appeal to me was simple and easy phone service at a low price as an infrequent landline user with cell as the primary phone.  For a fraction of what I was paying Comcast, I've experienced  better service and call quality.  Others have had varying experiences, but I had similar need to what you describe.

gderf

Quote from: onepolarbear on May 28, 2014, 10:00:48 AM

which are the top 3 providers in terms of number of customers or annual revenue?

I don't think providers themselves would be willing to reveal any details about their revenue streams. It may be possible to discern number of customers rankings from reliable surveys, but I have no idea where to find that information. Maybe the NSA knows?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

onepolarbear

Quote from: gderf on May 28, 2014, 11:47:39 AM
Quote from: onepolarbear on May 28, 2014, 10:00:48 AM

I don't think providers themselves would be willing to reveal any details about their revenue streams. It may be possible to discern number of customers rankings from reliable surveys, but I have no idea where to find that information. Maybe the NSA knows?

sure hope none of the VOIP providers is a front for the NSA.... :D

mykmayk

localphone for outgoing with ipkall for incoming calls being forwarded to the localphone sip address. their per-minute calls to the US is only half a cent (not even a full penny). and your credit load does not expire for a year without any outgoing calls made.  just make a 1-minute call every year and your credit load will just carry-over to another year.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

vtsnaab

I cannot speak for 'most people' - I can speak for myself though...

My ISP is comcast - but I don't use their phone service.

For VOIP I'm using all the providers thus far mentioned in the replies above and I have the Future Five plan and Circlenet besides.

Of all of them, Localphone has been the least useful or useable for me (not even their Android app has worked thus far for me...) and their tech support has been about as helpful as....having none a'tall.

Callcentric really gives good stuff for free - and their free DID & incoming is quite useful & works very well.
Circlenet's outgoing call quality & pricing are also top shelf IMO.
(Being able to use SIP via Wifi only on a cheap Android phone really impresses me very much too.)

Taoman

Quote from: mykmayk on May 28, 2014, 12:01:04 PM
localphone for outgoing with ipkall for incoming calls being forwarded to the localphone sip address.

This is an important point and advantage that Localphone has over CircleNet (and some others) especially for those that have an Obi 100/110 and also want E911 support. By forwarding your free DID to Localphone you end up only using one SP trunk on your Obi leaving SP2 open for an E911 provider like Anveo.