News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink voicemail issues with GV forwarding

Started by nitster, May 28, 2014, 10:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitster

Hi All,
Due to the GV changes, I switched over to Vestalink as my provider. Relatively painless transition for the most part. Outgoing is flawless and incoming calls if picked up in time also sound good.

The problem is that when GV forwards the call to Vestalink (VL), I only get one ring and then the Vestalink Voicemail (VM) picks up and announces to the caller that the VL # is not available and to leave a message. So most of the family does not recognize the voice of the announcement or the announced number and so no messages are being left. :(

I have played with setting the ring time (no effect).
Turned VM off (now get a message: "Nobody is available to take your call. You cannot reply to this message because the sender does not have a mailbox")
Apparently I should be able to at least personalize the VM announcement using *123 but it looks for some password that apparently is not the password I set in my settings on the VL website.  Can't set this either.

Have been going back and forth with Andrew at Vestalink , but I could use some guidance from the gurus here!
Thanks!

ceg3

MikeHObi

if you call your vestalink number directly does it take a long time to ring?  If not, then the problem may be with google.  Google's voice has had a history of problems with taking too long to connect various calls it forwards.  Often randomly or for random source and destination pairs.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

aopisa

I had the same issue. Porting my number solved it.

I kind of wish I didn't port since GV is still working. I wish I had researched Google's vague language rather than blindly following everyone's misinterpretation and Obi's somewhat clouded wording about May 15th. I did not really dig into it until it was too late.

Still, the only way to deal with the latency issue between GV and Vestalink was to port.

If I were you, I would keeping using GV as your primary until or IF Google pulls the plug.