News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

cant get distinctive rings to work again

Started by Dale, May 28, 2014, 02:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale

We used to have GV accounts on Sp1 and Sp2 of an Obi100.
We had different ring patterns (cadence) on each so we could tell which number was ringing.

We have now switched over to PhonePower, and with all the reconfiguring I have somehow lost the different ring patterns.

Both SP1 and SP2 are using Ring profile A
SP1 uses ring 1
SP2 uses ring 7

Both sound the same when they ring.

Any suggestions? What did I forget to do?
All we need are two distinctive rings, we don't really care what they sound like.

Taoman

Dale

Initially SP2 was set to use Profile B and I tried various rings within profile B. Nada. I read in the Obi docs that profile B defaults to Australian ring patterns so that I why I tried to see if profile A would give better results.

Taoman

Default is Ring Profile A for SP1 and Ring Profile B for SP2 and and they do indeed produce distinctive rings. But if you start choosing some of the varied ring patterns both can sound exactly the same. Choose DefaultRing 1 for both Ring Profile A and Ring Profile B and assign to appropriate SP trunks.

Jackson

I guess you got i solved. I had switched my ring patterns as by default SP1 had a single ring and SP2 a double.

Under Ring profile:

Produces a single (normal ring)

RingName: Bellcore-dr1
RingPattern: 60;(2+4)

This value will produce a double ring.

RingPattern: 60;(.4+.2,.4+2)

vtsnaab

Great topic !!
It brings to mind some problems which I've been wondering how to solve as I do use 2 different incoming numbers with my Obi.

There are 2 problems with the whole Obi ring settings thing as I see it=>

1. Using the default ring settings with a modern phone (as opposed to a phone with a real bell...) can become utterly useless without a bell-type, normal, mechanical response=> so as a result the default ring settings DO NOT make my phone sound any different for SP1 vs. SP2, and;

2. There is no way to know what all those different ring patterns will sound like except to edit the settings over & over with each test making the Obi reset.

My Obi110 has totally unaltered, default ring settings.
The 'ringer' in my phone is a sort of electronic gurgle sound...no even close to a ring sound.

The settings my Obi has currently look exactly the same as the ones cited here:
Quote from: Jackson on May 30, 2014, 05:16:21 PM
Produces a single (normal ring)
RingPattern: 60;(2+4)

This value will produce a double ring.
RingPattern: 60;(.4+.2,.4+2)

Query:
Can anyone here propose a better way to deal with getting distinctive rings tested & working better than what I've tried to describe, please ??
(Perhaps a really simple explanation of how to interpret all the numbers and such in the ring pattern settings ??)

Thanks for any helpful replies.

azrobert

The pattern is:
(Ring Seconds+Silence Seconds)

60;(2+4)
Ring 2.0 seconds, Silence 4.0 seconds Repeat

60;(.4+.2,.4+2)
Ring 0.4, Silence 0.2, Ring 0.4, Silence 2.0 Repeat

See page 163:
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

I have an electronic ringer on my phones and the ring patterns work for them.

Try something like:
60;(3+4)
and
60;(1+2)

vtsnaab

Thanks Azrobert !!!
I did find info at pages 169-170 in the manual - I did look for it - but it is not very helpful the way it is written and did not make as much sense to me as your nice, simple explanation does.

Now I feel better about messing around with those settings and will try making some changes.

Thanks, and Best Wishes.