News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi For Credit Card Terminal

Started by TekNets, June 03, 2014, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TekNets

I have a client who wishes to use an existing analog (RJ-11) credit card terminal with an Obi device. Does anyone have experience with this to tell me if its possible or not?

I waited on hold for over an hr and a half with their sales department before handing up and sending an email. Their response was to post the question here. Their customer service so far is not confidence inspiring. Can I count on them for support when needed?

Joel

ricky

Any device that uses a modem will, at best, give hit-or-miss results when used with any VoIP device and service. I send a few 1 or 2 page faxes a month over my OBi110, and it probably works roughly 80% of the time on the first try. But there have been days I've had to try at least a half dozen times before it succeeded. It's not important enough or frequent enough to warrant me getting a POTS line for this purpose, but for POS, it would be very frustrating for both the merchant and the customer to retry every transaction that doesn't go through. It could be pretty embarrassing for the merchant.

drgeoff

The choice of ITSP might also have some bearing on the results.

Mango

Obihai's support will answer general how-to questions, but they will likely not be able to troubleshoot arbitrary untested hardware such as your credit card terminal.

If you want to try it, I suggest the following:
1) Use strict QoS rules on your router so that adequate bandwidth is allocated to your OBi.
2) Disable the jitter buffer and echo cancellation.  (See the admin guide - these features are only available for the OBi2/OBi3 series.)
3) Use the G.711 codec.

Here's another thread with more detail: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6625.msg41922#msg41922

Let us know how it works!