News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Missing calls

Started by Fizz, May 06, 2011, 09:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizz

Hey guys, I'm a new OBi110 user. I have completed my setup with Google Voice and I can make and receive calls fine. However, I'm also randomly missing a lot of calls. They just go into Google's voicemail.

I searched through the forums and someone had suggested deleting the device and re-registering it. I did that too but hasn't helped.

I am not sure what else to try. If you need more info about my setup please let me know. It's a pretty standard setup (done through ObiTalk portal) with just Google Voice and nothing else. I also have the latest firmware.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fizz

I just placed a test call from my cell phone to OBi (GV) and it did not ring my phone. A few test calls earlier came through fine. This one went to google voicemail (after hearing about 4 rings from the calling device). The call history on my OBi shows the following for the call that did not ring...

Direction   Inbound   Inbound
11:29:33   Ringing   
11:29:33   End Call   

See how the Ringing start time and End Call time are the same...if that offers any clues.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------

Placed another test call that did not ring the phone connected to OBi. But this time it did not even show in the call history.

I've been trying to figure this out by trying out different things....but nothing seems to be working. I'm lost. Any pointers or help is greatly appreciated.

jimates

Do you have your gmail that is used on the Obi open in a browser?

with your test calls, do they go straight to google voicemail, or do you hear 4 rings before the VM picks up?

ruel

@fizz
i have an OBi100 where i had this problem. (i don't have the OBi110 since i don't have a landline to plug into it.) and similar to your problem with randomly missing calls that go straight to voicemail, the calls for me would not ring on each and every incoming GV call on the phone connected to my OBi100 although the caller would hear the rings. my solution is to have GV forward to a Sipgate number, and uncheck Google Chat in GV settings, and have GV as SP1 on my OBi100 for only outgoing calls, and have Sipgate on SP2 for only taking incoming calls from GV. it's a google problem as far as i can tell because this "ring, no-ring" problem also happens in Gmail for me. i've tried it with Gmail open in a browser and with no Gmail open in a browser. i've also tried it with Google Chat not logged in while in Gmail to see if that would make the call ring on the phone connected to my OBi100. but the same random "ring, no-ring" problem was still occurring. and this was even happening when using the same phones (at&t, tmobile) to make numerous test calls with Gmail open, not open, Google Chat logged in, not logged in, and other different combinations in GV settings that i've tried, etc. etc. etc. many many times. so my solution is to not forward to Google Chat and just have Sipgate handle the incoming GV calls on my OBi100. of course, i can't answer calls in Gmail anymore, but that wasn't really working all the time for me anyways (so if i want to take incoming calls on my computer, i could always turn on the sipgate software). i have a review on the amazon page for the OBi100 where i talk about how i've set up GV with Sipgate on my OBi100. you can use any sip as a substitute for google-chat on the incoming calls, but i got a free sipgate since you can get a free account for just the incoming calls.

M105

Quote from: Fizz on May 06, 2011, 10:41:48 AM
11:29:33   Ringing   
11:29:33   End Call   

See how the Ringing start time and End Call time are the same...if that offers any clues.

Check your power supply connection and also try lowering the number of ringing phones (the REN) you have connected to the Obi.  I had another ATA device once that would sometimes go bonkers when it should have rang the line.  Generating the ring voltage pulls more current and was causing the voltage to drop.  I wound up replacing the power supply with a unit of the same voltage higher current capacity.

I have not had this problem with my Obi110 nor heard of any PS problems, but still it is something simple you can check.

Fizz

Thanks for your responses.

Quote from: jimates on May 06, 2011, 04:22:08 PM
Do you have your gmail that is used on the Obi open in a browser?

with your test calls, do they go straight to google voicemail, or do you hear 4 rings before the VM picks up?

I do not keep gmail used with the Obi open in a browser nor am I using that account for chat or anything else.

The caller can hear 4 rings before VM kicks in.

Quote from: M105 on May 07, 2011, 08:15:03 AM
Check your power supply connection and also try lowering the number of ringing phones (the REN) you have connected to the Obi.  I had another ATA device once that would sometimes go bonkers when it should have rang the line.  Generating the ring voltage pulls more current and was causing the voltage to drop.  I wound up replacing the power supply with a unit of the same voltage higher current capacity.

The power supply connection seems to be ok. I don't have another PS adapter to try that will fit the Obi if that's what you mean. I can check with Obi support to see if they will send me another PS.

I have only one phone connected to the Obi. Is REN some setting within Obi admin that I can change? I tried to find it but didn't see it.

@ruel
Thanks for posting your solution. I'll keep this as a backup solution if nothing else works. I am hoping to have a simple/straight setup with GV that is reliable.

Does anyone think I might have a faulty OBi110 device which I should get replaced?

Once again, thank you all for your input.

ruel

@fizz
one other comment: i would tell you to hear if you get any rings at all in gmail when you call your GV number.  open Gmail in a browser, log into Google Chat. and call your GV number. if your situation is like mine, even if you are using the same phones to call into your GV number, you will sometimes get the call to ring in Gmail and other times the call will not ring in Gmail. if that happens, then IMHO that should tell you that the OBi hardware is not the problem. that's my conclusion for my situation -- meaning it's a problem on the Google side and not with the Obi.

M105

Quote from: Fizz on May 08, 2011, 11:28:19 PM
I have only one phone connected to the Obi. Is REN some setting within Obi admin that I can change? I tried to find it but didn't see it.

No, REN is Ringer Equivalency Number.  One REN is one old fashioned bell telephone ringer attached as a load on the line.  If you only have one modern phone on the line then you are good.

It is unlikely you have a PS problem.  It was just something worth checking considering your symptoms...

Fizz

I had contacted Obi Support about this issue and they were very prompt and helpful about it. After a couple of email exchanges they pushed out a firmware update for my Obi110 (note: I was already on the latest version at the time I had reported the problem). This update seems to have fixed my "missing calls" issue.

My current firmware version is 1.2.1 (Build: 2276).

QBZappy

Fizz,

I think you mean 1.2.1 (Build: 2286)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.