News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Happy with Vestalink

Started by fmj77, June 21, 2014, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmj77

This is my first post on the Obitalk forum and just wanted to say that I signed up for a year of service with Vestalink after trying it for a couple of weeks and couldn't be happier with the call quality. My Obi 100 works great with it and it felt so good to tell ATT goodbye after so many years of them screwing me with increasing prices and lousy service for an old copper landline. Porting my number took about a week and was hassle free. I live in a rural area and my only choice of broadband is with Exede satellite internet, but it works fine with my OBi 100. I hope Vestalink stays around for many years to come.

Smee

With all the Google XMPP demise talk, I switched as well.  I got the two year plan and I must say, I am happy as well.  I was previously paying Anveo for 911 service so with the switch to Vestalink, I get 911, full caller id info and a bunch of other options which I wasn't getting before.  I still haven't ported my number over to Vestalink and may just leave it with Google for now, but may eventually port it over.  Since Google Voice is getting so little attention from Google, there may come a day when it is no longer around.  Also, setting it up via the Obi portal wasn't hard at all.

Smee

TonyTib

@fmj -Vestalink supports the G.729 codec, which should help with wireless/satellite internet, but not all providers support (e.g. GV and Anveo are G.711 only). Vestalink defaults to G.711 now, but I went into my Obi advanced setup and forced it to use G.729 (since I'm on WiMax).

I wouldn't port to VL for another 2+ years to make sure they can handle the customer influx, but I've been happier with them than GV, and most importantly, the wife is happy.  If GV cuts off XMPP at an unexpected time, the money I might've saved won't be worth the hassles I'll get from my wife.

cluckercreek

I tried the G729 codec without success on Exede. Everyone said that we sounded like we were "gargling"! :(     Audio was also choppy both ways. YMMV.

fmj77

Well, so far I haven't messed with any settings on my Obi device and it's working fine with vestalink. Everyone I talk to says it actually sounds better that my old landline. Think I'll leave the settings as is for now.

rtalcott

I've had VERY good performance from Vestalink AND their Customer Service/Support has been EXCELLENT...I had a problem due to my error and they worked with me to avoid a problem...have 2 lines active and I am very impressed.
cheap hardware...lots of it!

fmj77

Can someone please tell me how to change the codec settings from G711 to G729? I am unable to figure it out and a Google search has revealed nothing on the subject.

ceg3

Go to your dashboard in OBiTALK and click on your device and then enter expert configurations (a 3 step process).  Once you arrive there look for Codecs in the left hand column.  Pick your profiile (A or B or an OBi100) and uncheck enable for the Codecs you don't want.  Scroll down and submit. 

fmj77

Thanks ceg3. The G729 codec is definitely a no go with Exede satellite. Audio is garbled and not too clear.

cluckercreek

I have Exede as well and you can only use u711.  :(

TonyTib

As always, what's best all depends.  I've found G.711 to be just OK on WiMax (G.729 is definitely better), and generally not OK on 3G (Ting/Sprint) and HSPDA (T-Mo MiFi) -- and that's across several ITSPs.