News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

A wild goose chase?

Started by TodWulff, June 23, 2014, 01:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TodWulff

Good day.

I've been told this is not possible.  However, my experiences lead me to believe that the person asserting this may have been mistaken.  I've seen some pretty trick things done by user's herein and I am thinking this might actually be a pretty vanilla setup that I am considering.  I am looking to this audience for confirmation, and any lessons learned, when considering this approach.

I have an OBi100 that I use (primarily to access my OBi110's PSTN here at the home office).

I just got an OBi202.  I can, of course, access any of the 4 OBi202's ITSPs from either handset plugged into the OBi202's local handset ports.

Can SIP-ITSPs on an OBi202 be used for SIP-Orig/SIP-Term via other devices on the network?

Using my OBi100, I'd like to also make use of the SIP-ITSPs on the OBi202, in addition to the OBi110's POTS line.  If possible, I'd like to do so programmatically (i.e. via a dial-plan) vs. using an AA's IVR.

I am hoping that the OBi202 can act as a pseudo proxy/gateway, enabling access to its ITSPs from other authorized devices.

Please advise if this is practical.  Thank you, in advance.

azrobert

An OBi can access another OBi's trunks. The easiest way is to use the OBiTalk network. You need to setup a dialing scheme using a prefix to tell the OBi where you want to route the call.
I don't use the standard prefixes. This is how I do it:
2*24805551212

2* = Route the call to the 2nd OBi.
2 =  Route the call to SP2
4805551212 = Outbound number

You can set it up anyway you want. Each OBi/Trunk must have a unique dialing sequence.

QuoteCan SIP-ITSPs on an OBi202 be used for SIP-Orig/SIP-Term via other devices on the network?

What kind of devices? Are they on the same LAN? You cannot register a device to an OBi. I never used OBIPlus, but I think you can register a device that way. If the device can dial out without registration then you can probably get it to work.

TodWulff

Thank you, azrobert.  Your taking the time is very much appreciated.

An OBi can access another OBi's trunks. The easiest way is to use the OBiTalk network.

You need to setup a dialing scheme using a prefix to tell the OBi where you want to route the call.
I don't use the standard prefixes. This is how I do it:

2*24805551212

2* = Route the call to the 2nd OBi.
2 =  Route the call to SP2
4805551212 = Outbound number

You can set it up anyway you want. Each OBi/Trunk must have a unique dialing sequence.

I am not opposed to using OBiTalk.  It is how my devices are configured currently (plus a bit of tweaking via Expert Mode (Syslog, PW, etc.)).  Thank you for the suggestions regarding this inter-device functionality.

QuoteCan SIP-ITSPs on an OBi202 be used for SIP-Orig/SIP-Term via other devices on the network?

What kind of devices? Are they on the same LAN? You cannot register a device to an OBi. I never used OBIPlus, but I think you can register a device that way. If the device can dial out without registration then you can probably get it to work.

I have instantiated an Asterisk PBX here at the house on my router - both the Bride and I now work from home and getting into VoIP has revealed that this is likely the most robust solution for our personal and professional telecommunication needs.

All equipment is on the same LAN (and subnet).

I suspect that Asterisk is robust enough to be able to spawn & instantiate an outbound session sans registration.  <-- a guess, but it presents to be pretty darn configurable.

The SIP providers on my OBi202 have remote provisioned the device and I don't have the credentials (they (Avneo & Ring.To) have a policy about not giving them out to prevent unauthorized devices from being on their network).  I don't like the business model, but I get it.  I've packet-sniffed and otherwise snooped at the authentication implementation that Obihai engineered into these little gems.  It is pretty secure and strongly encrypted - so the likelihood of my successfully getting Asterisk to mimic the OBi202 programmatically is extremely low.  This is what is driving my desire to have the OBi202 be a pseudo-proxy.

I'd certainly like to be able to have the home-PBX users (myself, the Bride, our Daughter, and the Bride's Mother) be able to make use of these ITSP accounts on the OBi202 via Asterisk in a transparent manner (i.e. sans AA IVR) - especially for E911 and also for the Ring.To account (given that they provide free domestic US termination).

-t

azrobert

It's very easy to use Asterisk with an OBi. Setup a trunk in Asterisk that points to the OBi202's IP address and port. The below example is pointing to the OBi202's ITSP A, so the call will come in on SP1. The OBi202's SP1 X_InbpoundCallRoute will bridge the call out SP1 trunk if there is a match on the SP1 DigitMap. Dialing a prefix of **2 will route the call out SP2. Inbound calls on SP1 will be forked to the OBi202 Phone Port#1 and Asterisk extension 100.

Asterisk

Setup a trunk for the OBi202:
type=peer
username=todwulff
host=192.168.1.101 (OBi202 IP addr)
port=5060

OBi202

SP1 service X_InboundCallRoute:
{todwulff>(Msp1):sp1},{todwulff>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{ph,100@192.168.1.110:5060}

TodWulff

Nice.  Asterisk with OBi devices seems to be a good way to mix it up a bit, sans proper IP phones.

I'll advise an update herein, for others to possibly benefit from, when I get things configured as needed.

Thank you, once again.

Take care.

-t

drgeoff

TodWulff

Outstanding, drgeoff.  I've added it to my electronic library.

Right now I am all up in dialplan's grill - w/ getting smarter about it via assimilation of the Device Admin Guide.

Thanks again.  It is appreciated.  Take care.

-t

TodWulff