News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PSTN -> OBI110 : Does caller ID work for you?

Started by TonyCVG, June 28, 2014, 02:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyCVG

Hi, everyone.

I have an OBI 110 with its line port connected to my house's PSTN line and a plain old analog handset plugged in to the phone port. When I call my house from another number there's no caller id displayed in the OBI's call history - nothing for Peer Name, nothing for Peer Number. Well, actually it does work every once in a great while -- maybe one time out of 30. I haven't been able to isolate anything different about those times.

If I plug a phone with a caller id display directly in to the PSTN line, using the same cable the OBI used, the caller id displays fine, every time.

As recommended by numerous postings in this forum and elsewhere, I've changed various settings under Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port:
* changed AC Impedance to 900
* changed Ring Delay to 6000
* tried all the options under Caller ID Detect Method. (I even tried the settings for Denmark, Sweden, and Finland, even though I'm in the US!)
* made sure nothing else in the house was connected to the PSTN - no other extensions, no fax machine, nothing.

I re-set the OBI to factory default and then changed only the time zone and the admin password. No luck.

This is hardware version 3.4, by the way, and firmware 1.3.0 (build 2824).

Is there another setting I'm missing somewhere, or does this not work for anybody?

I have a ticket in with OBI support, by the way; while I'm waiting to hear back from them I was hoping someone on the forum had seen this and knew the solution.

Thanks,
Tony

drgeoff

It works for me, admittedly with appropriate settings for my UK PSTN telco.  If it didn't work at all for anyone in the US, I think the forum would have lots of posts about it.

I don't see any settings that you have missed out.  :(

TonyCVG

Thank you, drgeoff.

The problem may be fixed -- I had assumed that the phone wall jack I had been using was good, because the handset showed the caller ID info when it was plugged directly into that jack. But I finally tried the Obi in another jack, and now it works fine!

Hopefully, that will take care of it.