News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV911 still working on GV?

Started by Zain, July 13, 2014, 10:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zain

As with many others, GV is still working on my Obi202. My GV911 expiry date from last year's subscription is nearby. Does anyone know if GV911 is going to continue to work? How can I test this since officially GV XMPP is not supposed to be working anymore?

InetUser

Quote from: Zain on July 13, 2014, 10:51:22 AM
How can I test this since officially GV XMPP is not supposed to be working anymore?

Google never said XMPP was going to stop working - Obihai made that prediction, and it obviously didn't come true.

Google has never publicly stated any plans or a date to change the existing Google Voice service.

RFC3261

Quote from: InetUser on July 13, 2014, 01:18:02 PM
Google never said XMPP was going to stop working - Obihai made that prediction, and it obviously didn't come true.

Google has never publicly stated any plans or a date to change the existing Google Voice service.

Google did explicitly state that XMPP would no longer be *supported* as of May 2014.  They never gave an explicit date when it would be removed from service.  For some, that is a distinction without a difference (as long as it works, who cares?), for others, those words mean something.  Obihai could not (as a business entity) suggest/recommend to use something that could disappear whenever a 3rd party (Google) decided to kill it.  Otherwise Obihai's customers would be (rightly) unhappy as having been misled.  And while some are willing to take their chances (and continue to use Google Voice via XMPP), and take their lumps (if/when XMPP is shutdown without warning), for many of the Obihai customers (i.e. the non-hobbyists), that expect the unit to "just work", the warning was appropriate, and necessary.

InetUser

Quote from: RFC3261 on July 14, 2014, 10:50:49 AM
Google did explicitly state that XMPP would no longer be *supported* as of May 2014.

Please post a link to that Google statement (don't waste your time looking for it -- it doesn't exist).

Taoman

Quote from: RFC3261 on July 14, 2014, 10:50:49 AM

Google did explicitly state that XMPP would no longer be *supported* as of May 2014. 

No, actually they didn't. I also would ask that you back up your statement but since I know you can't, don't bother.

Taoman

Google never said XMPP was going to stop working

Well actually, they kind of did do that:

Quote from: Google Talk Developer pageNote: We announced a new communications product, Hangouts, in May 2013. Hangouts will replace Google Talk and does not support XMPP.

developers.google.com/talk/

Zain

Hey all didn't mean for this to turn into a GV XMPP support etc thread.. wondering if any GV911.com users are renewing their subscriptions for that or know if it will continue to be offered...let me know if you know

RFC3261

Quote from: Taoman on July 14, 2014, 02:28:26 PM

Google never said XMPP was going to stop working

Well actually, they kind of did do that:

Quote from: Google Talk Developer pageNote: We announced a new communications product, Hangouts, in May 2013. Hangouts will replace Google Talk and does not support XMPP.

developers.google.com/talk/

It is true that Google, themselves, have never been quite so explicit on their web site regarding support or end dates (for that matter, support and Google services has always been a bit imprecise unless you have a paid contract with them with SLAs).  But official Google spokespeople talked to both EFF and ZDnet (and others) "on the record".  Now, perhaps, I should start ignoring everything EFF says, but I am choosing to trust they posted what they were told regarding the end of support.  Note that with various changes in the Google+ management, I am not surprised that specific offerings and priorities and schedules are getting adjusted.

I guess some people are still in the first stage of grief (denial) when they are told their loved ones (Free Google Talk calling) has a limited life expectancy.  Fortunately, under ACA coverage, one should be able to get counselling if it becomes excessively debilitating.  :)