News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple ATAs (Obi110) in different locations with same provider #?

Started by ddrg, July 23, 2014, 11:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddrg

Hi,

I'm a new Obi110 user who is also successfully using GV.  Is it possible to have ATAs at multiple locations (2 in my case) all associated with the same GV account such that an inbound call causes all ATA-attached phones to ring until the first phone picks up?  If not GV, can you recommend a service provider who would offer such a service?

The background behind my question is my desire to move our second home PSTN line to VoIP in our home town and to be able to take an additional ATA to another location / country when on vacation and have it behave ringing-wise like the phone in our home. (I don't expect that you can pick up the phone that didn't answer and hear the conversation on the phone that did answer.)  I realize I could do this myself with a home PBX but hope / assume that this isn't a unique problem.

Thanks...  Duncan

azrobert

If you have 2 OBi1xx's registered to one GV account you can make outbound calls from either.
The last OBi to register to GV will receive inbound calls, so you could reboot the OBi at your current location to receive calls.
You could setup each OBi to ring the phone port on both OBi's, so you don't have to do the reboot.
Change Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
To: {ph,pp(123456789)}

SPx is the SP where GV is defined.
123456789 is the OBi number of the other OBi.

The above uses the OBitalk network to route the call to the other OBi.
Now it doesn't matter which OBi receives the call, both will ring.

The OBi2xx has an option where both OBi's will receive the inbound call.

Lavarock7

Somewhat off topic: If you were using a service such as Voip.Ms instead of GoogleVoice, this becomes simple. You create two extensions (one per obi) and your two extensions are put into a ring group. Inbound calls are sent to the ring group and the first extension to answer gets the call. Outbound calls from either extension can use the same caller-id and can, if desired, have different or the same voice mailboxes.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

ddrg

Thanks very much for your help!  Both solutions have merit, and Lavarock7 - your reply wasn't off topic.  If GV really removes XMPP support, then I'll go down the call group path.

Thanks again...  Duncan

azrobert

Callcentric is another option.
It works similar as Lavarock7 described Voip.ms.
Setup 2 extensions then define a call treatment to route inbound calls to both.
You can get a free IP Freedom account and configure it.
You can test with a free DID that will cost you $1.50 (I think) a month for E911 or just use a softphone to call your Callcentric account.

MurrayB

Lavarock7 I currently fork calls between two Obis via Obitalk. I tried your suggestion with Voip.ms, which I have had great success with, to set up a ring group with my main SIP and a forwarding (cell Phone). The cell phone does not ring any ideas. Thanks!

Edit:
Missed the next step! Routing has to be changed from SIP to ring group.

Works!