News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call history: From '100' SP1(100)

Started by andrea, July 29, 2014, 05:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrea

I've been using an OBi202 for over a year without any problems (so far). My provider is voip.ms. I use two phone numbers, SP1 and SP2, each using its own physical interface, Phone1 and Phone2.

Everything was working fine until a few days ago when I had to replace my router. I now use a Netgear R6250 router.

Now, several times a day, Phone1 rings for no reason. In call history, the description is always the same: From '100' SP1(100) - To PH1.

What is going on and how can I fix it?

Thank you for your help.

andrea

I may have found the answer in another post: change the X_UserAgentPort to 5070 for SP1. Will report back...

andrea

So far, so good. Not a single call from "100" since I changed the X_UserAgentPort to 5070.

Mango

You should also navigate to your router's configuration, and select Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup.  Look for NAT Filtering, and if it set to Open, change it to Secured.  Let us know if you're able to do this, or if my guess was wrong and it is already set to Secured.

There have been reports of the SIP scanners finding devices, even on alternate ports.

andrea

NAT Filtering is already set to Secure on the router.

Still not a single call from "100" since I changed the port.

Looks like the issue is solved.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Quote from: Mango on July 30, 2014, 06:54:42 AM
You should also navigate to your router's configuration, and select Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup.  Look for NAT Filtering, and if it set to Open, change it to Secured.  Let us know if you're able to do this, or if my guess was wrong and it is already set to Secured.

There have been reports of the SIP scanners finding devices, even on alternate ports.
I've configure quite a few home routers but have never seen an option called "NAT Filtering" in any of them.  Nor anything with a different name which is obviously (to me) the same thing.  What is it supposed to do when enabled?

andrea

Re: NAT Filtering. This is quoted from the router manual:

QuoteNAT Filtering. Network Address Translation (NAT) determines how the router
processes inbound traffic. Secured NAT provides a secured firewall to protect the
computers on the LAN from attacks from the Internet, but might prevent some Internet
games, point-to-point applications, or multimedia applications from functioning. Open
NAT provides a much less secured firewall, but allows almost all Internet applications
to function.

Mango

The manual is pretty vague and doesn't describe technically what the option does.

Some routers allow you to switch between full cone NAT (allow incoming VoIP calls from any source) and restricted cone NAT (allow incoming VoIP calls only from the VoIP service provider).  I was hoping that would be the case for this option but I was wrong as it's already set to Secured and the problem exists anyway.  Apparently "Secured" is not actually very secure.

andrea

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that the router lets all calls through, including SIP scanning, and the OBi202 listens on the ports that are set for each number. If port 5060 is not set as a valid port on the OBi202, then calls to this port are simply dropped.

Mango

Yes, you understand it correctly.  (Your last router behaved differently and was more secure.)

andrea

Actually, I was running DD-WRT on my last router. I can't remember exactly how it was set up or if it had a way of blocking SIP scanning. On the new router, I'm still running the standard Netgear firmware. For the moment, simply changing the port number for SP1 works fine with the standard firmware.