News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 IP Phone

Started by N7AS, August 06, 2014, 09:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N7AS

I searched on Google for the new OBi1032 IP phone from Obihai and came up with this
http://www.obihai.com/uidemos/obiphone/i

If you go to Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General >SignalingProtocol you can still select Google Voice

So it looks like GV will still be available to configure on the OBi1032. Interesting...
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

jjtricket

Mango

Looks like a lot of great features, particularly G722 and programmable buttons.

Ostracus

Heh. That link freaked me out. At first I thought I was at my Obi202.

N7AS

Quote from: Ostracus on August 07, 2014, 10:17:46 PM
Heh. That link freaked me out. At first I thought I was at my Obi202.

It did the same to me. I thought I as logged into my OBi202 as well until I looked over the main page in detail.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

dircom

Usetheforceobiwan

I am afraid the $200 price point is not going to be competitive with contemporary offerings from the likes of Yealink and Grandstream.  I realize the GV functionality is a plus but if GV yanks the cord, well then it's just another suped up IP phone with a proprietary (i.e. non Android) operating system. 

With my perception of the market (and I am no market guru that is for sure), I am noticing a trend here with this and the 500vs series.  Nice enough features but not really competitively priced for the capabilities.  Of course I am not a corporate buyer so what the heck do I know.  But I still think they could be a little bit cheaper............

carl

Impressive phone. Bit pricey though.

RFC3261

Quote from: carl on August 16, 2014, 08:58:22 PM

For the targeted market (small business) it's price is probably lower than the equivalent functionality for other office solutions (a few IP phones, combined with an OBi202/alternative likely costs more, depending on the specifics, and the fewer parts the better).

I expect that the small business telephony consultants/implementers will add this to their list of offered solutions.  And while (some) individuals will purchase this for their residence, I would not expect that it is going to sell in large numbers (home phones is a shrinking market).

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: RFC3261 on August 17, 2014, 09:45:53 AM
Quote from: carl on August 16, 2014, 08:58:22 PM

I expect that the small business telephony consultants/implementers will add this to their list of offered solutions.  And while (some) individuals will purchase this for their residence, I would not expect that it is going to sell in large numbers (home phones is a shrinking market).

So you see the added value in the quasi-PBX functions that an Obi device provides?  That's a dynamic I hadn't really considered but now that you mention it, well the price seems reasonable.

Felix

My typical small-office (and even larger-office) implementation includes Cisco and Grandstream models that are $40-80 range. I am struggling to come up with a use case where this $200 model would be competitive.

I took note, however, of Google Voice support. Does it mean that Google original semi-private "cease and desist" notice is no longer relevant? Does it therefore means that OBi will continue to support GV for the foreseeable future?

While the business success of OBi1032 is very a interesting question for OBihai, I assume that the questions in the second paragraph are much more interesting for the rest of us

Usetheforceobiwan

If I had one of these phones, I'de add a Obi-line to it for an FXO and strap a Beaglebone Black running FreePBX to the back of the stand.  Then it would be a genuine PBX  ;D

Too bad it doesn't appear to have video capabilities.

Ostracus

Video would be nice. I believe ASUS has one. Also an analog jack would be nice.

RFC3261

Quote from: Felix on August 17, 2014, 04:47:52 PM
I took note, however, of Google Voice support. Does it mean that Google original semi-private "cease and desist" notice is no longer relevant? Does it therefore means that OBi will continue to support GV for the foreseeable future?

While the business success of OBi1032 is very a interesting question for OBihai, I assume that the questions in the second paragraph are much more interesting for the rest of us

The ways of the Google are mysterious to any outside of the greater 1600 Ampitheatre Parkway complex.

My guess is no better than your guess, but I expect OBi to continue to allow Google Voice to be configured until Google pulls the plug on clients such as pidgin and OBi (Google has reportedly already ended server-to-server (federation) XMPP communications).  Until/unless there is a (semi-public) rescinding of the end of support notice, Google is under no obligation to not end service whenever they have a reason to do so.  That could be years, or hours, away, and is probably driven more by Hangouts features/schedules than anything else.  With the recent change in leadership in that group priorities/features/schedules may have gotten adjusted.  But see the first sentence.

RFC3261

Quote from: Ostracus on August 17, 2014, 10:16:24 PM
Video would be nice.

Video for business has a different target than video for consumers.  Using the Cisco term, TelePresence is where it is at for businesses.  And that requires a (much) more expensive solution (much bigger screens, better cameras), making the price point somewhat higher.  I would expect that if this device takes off, OBiHai might expand to the TelePresence market, but starting smaller/cheaper is not an unreasonable choice.

giqcass

We always did telepresence in the conference room on a big screen or used our computer screens at our desks.  I'm not sure if the feature is a big selling point on small screens.  Obi could easily roll out an Obitalk Video app that would allow video on the PC and audio routed through the PC, the IP phone, or both simultaneously.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: giqcass on August 18, 2014, 05:25:19 PM
We always did telepresence in the conference room on a big screen or used our computer screens at our desks.  I'm not sure if the feature is a big selling point on small screens.  Obi could easily roll out an Obitalk Video app that would allow video on the PC and audio routed through the PC, the IP phone, or both simultaneously.

The reason I mentioned it, whether you like Android IP phones or not, well they have that capability (camera and screen) at a price $50 less.  The Grandstream GXV3240 is an example.   No direct Google Voice support but they work with Skype, GrooveIP and all the other Android apps you can get at the Playstore and use on a phone.  In fact, you could load ObiApp on one and connect to the Obi you have now.  You can even load CSIPSimple on them which is kind of redundant but if you like the flexibility of CSIPSimple like I do, it's nice to have as an option.   

The one downside (and this could be a big one/deal breaker) of Android based desk phones is the inherent security risk Android devices present within the corporate network.   Plus they are a maintenance and update headache that most IT staff don't have to deal with now.   

FreeWillie

Trev

Quote from: FreeWillie on August 19, 2014, 10:34:49 AM
Only available in US Eh !

In Canada too; check the link below :)
In Canada and looking for an OBi?
https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/