News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Clipping of the first 1-2 seconds of incoming audio on GV

Started by yankeguy, May 09, 2011, 09:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeguy

Hi everyone,

I've set up my Obi110 with Google Voice and for the most part it works great.  I haven't had any issues with sound cutting out or calls disconnecting or anything like that.  However, when I place an outgoing call, I sometimes don't get the first 1-2 seconds of incoming sound. 

It seems like the ringback tone is playing a bit too long - for example, if I call a Verizon Wireless cell phone number and the person doesn't call back, they have a message that says "Your call has been forwarded to an automated voice messaging system..." but I hear <ringbacktone> - "--ded to an automated voice messaging system...".  The incoming audio starts immediately after the ringback tone, which is why it seems like a timing issue.  This is a problem when a person does pick up, and I don't hear them say "Hello?" - then I can't tell whether we're connected or not.

I also tried disabling the feature to automatically enter the 1 digit on incoming calls to auto-accept calls from the Google Voice prompt, because I want to hear the prompt announcing the user name.  I also lose the first 1-2 seconds of audio on incoming calls - when I pick up, instead of hearing "Call from John Doe. To accept, press 1..." I just hear "To accept, press 1...".

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
Paul

jimates

using google voice on the obi doesn't have the same call screening as using google voice elsewhere. With the Obi you don't get the callers name, you only get "press 1 to accept.....". This is the call screening of google chat, not google talk.

You can not disable call screening in google chat. There is a setting in the Obi to turn off call screening but it doesn't really turn it off, it just presses 1 for you. Because the obi has to press 1 after you answer, there is a second or two of silence. When you answer you need to wait or you will be saying hello multiple times. Your caller will still be hearing ringing during this delay.

The disable in the Obi may be automatic now if you set google voice as the service.

yankeguy

Ah, okay, that clears up the question for incoming calls.  Thanks for the information.

Do you have any thoughts about the initial clipping on outgoing calls?

geobernd

I experience the same clipping on outgoing. Usually I just catch the end of 'hello' and have to guess who is on the other end...

tkc9789

Quote from: geobernd on May 10, 2011, 06:30:01 PM
I experience the same clipping on outgoing. Usually I just catch the end of 'hello' and have to guess who is on the other end...

I have similiar experience too.  People I called told me that they had to say "hello" two, three times before they can hear me.

eslop

I have the same issue too (I think I always had it, even when I used a different VOIP provider (with a different HW)). Anyone tried if the same cutoff happens on the outgoing calls from google chat?

guyinsb

I also experience clipping of audio at the start of a call placed with the Obi (110 and 100) using Google Chat as the service.  My wife is threatening to put the Obi down the garbage disposal.

bruss

I have the same problem no matter the provider. I hardley ever get the hello..... Any ideas?

earthtoobi

i used to have the same issue.
for other reasons, i changed my router and flashed it with tomato.
i don't have the issue now.
so,for me, it was the router. i would be hesitant to suggest to others since i cannot pinpoint root cause.
my only suggestion is:
a) check if you have the same issue when you directly connect obi to your ISP w/o router.
(if your ISP expects same MAC address and as a result will not provide a DHCP address, then reset your modem so that it will accept obi's MAC)

in general,it is a good idea to have routers that can be flashed with third party firmwares like DD-WRT/Tomato so that you are not stuck and have some wiggle room.

bruss

I have a voip.ms account on the same network that does not have this problem. It does not go to obi