News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBi 110 in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

Started by jcwhitey, August 11, 2014, 02:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcwhitey

Can I use my OBi 110 and google voice while stationed at the Naval Station in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba? 

RFC3261

Quote from: jcwhitey on August 11, 2014, 02:31:51 PM
Can I use my OBi 110 and google voice while stationed at the Naval Station in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba? 

"Maybe".  I seem to recall that it used to be the case that gtmo used satellite for communications services.  So, high latency, and likely high jitter, not the best for voip calling.  I had heard there was to be a fibre installed direct to the mainland (funded by DoD), but afaik, it has not yet been finished.  Internet service is (or was) available via a contract service, and was reported to be "Ok" for things like Skype, so I expect that an Obi would work too, but that is just conjecture on my part.

To be honest, the best place to ask is likely to be others stationed (or have been stationed) there.

Sam_from_CircleNet

I've been there on base at GTMO and the answer is yes and no. The ISP there SCSI is pretty much as terrible as they come. They do block SIP ports on purpose, however it will work at the coffee shop and on the MWR network if you take it with you and tether it. The wife and I used teamspeak to talk with each other :-).

Sam

Update, I talked to a buddy still on island and he *THINKS* that it will work on the Phoenix cable internet which is also available but not on the SCSI DSL. Also he confirmed SIP does work on MWR networks. The fiber isn't in place yet but is coming eventually for now it's still all via satellite.

RFC3261

Quote from: Sam_from_CircleNet on August 16, 2014, 10:05:34 AM
The fiber isn't in place yet but is coming eventually for now it's still all via satellite.

Found a reference that the contract to lay the fibre (Texas firm called Xtera) has been awarded, with a targeted completion date of Dec 2015 (I believe that may be only the fibre completion date, not the network operational date).  From competing press releases, it appears that there is some "discussion" (inside DoD) as to whether any of the excess fibre capacity in the bundle will be available to commercial endeavors.