News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Manual Config

Started by revengineer, August 19, 2014, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapattack

RE:
"once in a while the network light start flashing like crazy"

My resolution of this problem was not intuitive, in as much as the problem would repeat in spite of
numerous reboots, then magically disappear for weeks at a time.

I accidentally  noticed both SP1 and SP2 used the same Stun server and port.
Changed one server, and port, just to be certain, and problem disappeared.

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 20, 2014, 05:15:02 PM
The "I hate the portal and how dare Obihai update my firmware" attitude is really no longer realistic.  The firmware is solid.

Firmware solid, maybe. Dashboard, I don't think so!

See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8476.msg55659#msg55659

SteveInWA

Like you said...that's not a firmware bug.

It looks like some temporary f-up by Obihai with the dashboard.  Perhaps it's related to the recent implementation of the nifty new E cog to short-cut into expert mode.  I assume they'll fix it shortly.

azrobert

Here is another thread of users unable to update their OBI because the dashboard is down.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8477.msg55677#new

Based on posts, the dashboard has been down at least 12 1/2 hours.
Why is OBihai forcing me to use the dashboard?

I added a feature request to add GV OAUTH 2.0 to the Web interface.
Please add your comments here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8462.0

Thanks

RFC3261

Quote from: azrobert on August 23, 2014, 06:30:38 AM
Based on posts, the dashboard has been down at least 12 1/2 hours.

I presume you are trying to make a point to make?  While I am not pleased to know the dashboard is down, and I believe OBiHai probably should have better tested their new dashboard functionality, I am not paying for someone to provide 24/7 support either.  If I purchased a 24/7 support contract (and I have, when wearing a business hat), I might feel differently.  But I purchased a cheap DIY device with the expectation of a user forum where the company has no formal committed presence of support, and the only formal support mechanism (their ticketing system) is limited to "working" hours.  There is the old adage, you get what you pay for.  And I can still manage my OBiHai device just fine from the direct web interface.  Sure, I would have to be able to recall what I did so I could reproduce it on the dashboard later if that is where I am keeping my official changes, but what fool would not document their changes for future use in the case that they need to reproduce it?  So there is very little extra work should I be making any changes at all.

Why is OBihai forcing me to use the dashboard?

Pretty sure OBiHai is not forcing you to do anything.  There is no rule you must purchase and use an OBiHai product.  You can chose to do things differently.  If OBiHai is not performing as you wish, I strongly recommend you vote with your wallet, and go elsewhere.

azrobert

I suppose you are mostly correct and I'm being a little melodramatic about this. Anybody using the Web interface already knows how to turn provisioning on/off, so they can make temporary changes locally. You are SOL if you need to make GV changes. OBihai gave use 2 options to configure our devices. They should continue to support both options. Hopefully in the future they will add GV OAUTH 2.0 to the Web interface.

I stand by my statement that OBihai is forcing me to use the dashboard. Maybe I should have added a qualifier "If I want to continue using my OBI", but I think that is implied.

Mango

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 20, 2014, 05:15:02 PMThe "I hate the portal and how dare Obihai update my firmware" attitude is really no longer realistic.  The firmware is solid.

I believe the opposite is true.  Have you already forgotten the incident not yet six months ago in which an update broke units using the Oleg Method?  While I understand that mistakes happen and sometimes software bugs aren't detected until they're released to the public, if anything the above incident indicates that it is even more important to disable OBiTALK and auto firmware updating, at least for mission-critical devices.

As for me, it looks as if 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) will be the last update I'll make.  Upgrading disables a feature I like, which is the ability to configure Google Voice without OBiTALK.  If I upgrade, I'll not only lose that ability, but also the ability to downgrade to firmware that works the way I want it to.

Quote from: RFC3261 on August 23, 2014, 07:58:12 AMThere is no rule you must purchase and use an OBiHai product.

That's not a realistic attitude.  I've already purchased an Obihai product - four of them in fact.  I do not consider it unreasonable that I want them to continue perform as they did when I bought them.

jimates

Do this:

Open your web browser.  Log into the Google account you want to use with GV and your OBi (by "log in", I mean sign into any Google app, such as Gmail or Google Voice or Hangouts, so that your browser's session cookies are showing Google that you are logged into the account).....................................

A word of caution when updating and allowing the new GV settings; if you manage multiple devices.

My sister tells me she got a email from Obihai because she recently reset her google password. I told her "you can't do that without telling me, I will take care of it" (Obi110).

I logged in to her Obitalk and of course it prompted for the upgrade and new settings which I agreed to. Changed her PW and everything works great. While at Obitalk I logged into my account (Obi202) and upgraded the firmware. Later noticed my Obi says "no service available". I rebooted with no change. I logged into Obitalk and it immediately ask for permissions pertaining to the new GV settings. I agreed, the device rebooted and everything worked great; I thought.

Because I was previously logged into my sister's google account, and evidently didn't log out prior to returning and logging into my Obitalk account, Obitalk used the credentials form the google account I was signed into to configure my Obi. Now all my outgoing calls are used with her GV account and all call logs are in her account also.

My incoming calls were not affected because they come in through Callcentric via sip configuration. Her Obi continues to work fine. Her incoming calls also come from Callcentric or I guess I would also be receiving her incoming google calls.

I cannot attempt to fix it because the Obitalk portal is down. I can make the changes directly on the device but we know now that after the upgrade those settings are not effective.

revengineer

Quote from: Mango on August 21, 2014, 04:21:20 PM
Quote from: revengineer on August 21, 2014, 03:55:03 PMI do confirm that after configuring google voice, I can now turn off auto-provisioning and the Obi keeps running.

Can you also disable OBiTALK Service?

I have another question, just based on my curiosity: if you look at the SPx Service for your Google Voice account, do you see anything relevant there?  In other words, once OBiTALK generates the OAuth credentials, could you copy/paste them to another device?
Yes, you can disable auto-provisioning and Obitalk, which I have done. Looking at the local web configuration, there is nothing you can grab and copy. But I think the password line has always been empty. The password is stored internally, just not displayed in the configuration. However, in the past your google credentials could be entered and were sufficient for the connection to succeed.

revengineer

Quote from: zapattack on August 21, 2014, 11:41:39 PM
RE:
"once in a while the network light start flashing like crazy"

My resolution of this problem was not intuitive, in as much as the problem would repeat in spite of
numerous reboots, then magically disappear for weeks at a time.

I accidentally  noticed both SP1 and SP2 used the same Stun server and port.
Changed one server, and port, just to be certain, and problem disappeared.

Thanks for the tip. I checked and STUN is disabled on SP1 and SP2. While the port number is set and identical, no STUN server is configured. I do not think this is the issue.

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: Mango on August 23, 2014, 09:52:22 AM
That's not a realistic attitude.  I've already purchased an Obihai product - four of them in fact.  I do not consider it unreasonable that I want them to continue perform as they did when I bought them.
This!!

I have only $75 invested in Obis and I feel like I got my money's worth.

However, there is no point in sugar coating and incessant cheer-leading while overlooking the fact that since the original device was bought, it has become more and more crippled.

Case in point:

• firmware cannot be downgraded any more (so if Obi messes up the firmware, there is no recourse but to wait till Obi fixes it)
  • while recognizing that GV situation is out of Obi's control, it was one of their main selling points (at the time of my purchase)

Given the above, it will certainly affect my future purchasing decisions (by voting with my wallet).

SteveInWA

This really is a bunch of melodrama.  It's friggin' Saturday.   Go out and enjoy the weekend.  Get some perspective on life.  It's not a defibrillator or other life-support system.  It isn't Ferguson, MO, nobody has Ebola, nobody is getting massacred by ISIS because of they don't follow some religious sect, we're not in Syria or the Ukraine...it's just an ATA. 

You, the posters on this forum, are are the tiny minority of users who, for some reason, want to endlessly tweak your devices, 7x24.  As RFC3261 pointed out, this is a low-cost device, and it has a corresponding level of "commercially reasonable" support.  The vast majority of customers are going to buy the product, set it up, and forget about it.

Obihai somehow borked up the portal.  They'll fix it.  This isn't the end of civilization.

I am not a cheerleader, nor an apologist, but unlike many of you, I look at this as business, not a hobby.

Mango

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 23, 2014, 06:38:01 PMThis really is a bunch of melodrama.

I hope you don't take our comments personally.  I didn't intend to offend you.  When it comes to discussing phone service, you're likely to be met with some strong opinions.

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 23, 2014, 06:38:01 PMYou, the posters on this forum, are are the tiny minority of users who, for some reason, want to endlessly tweak your devices, 7x24.  [...]  The vast majority of customers are going to buy the product, set it up, and forget about it.

Speaking for myself, I'm part of the second group who like to set it and forget it.  I have a device that has been up for 232 days.  In part, that's because I've disabled OBiTALK.

RSendele

I Have tried to setup my Obi100 using the method through the Obihai website.  It is simple and straight forward.  Got my Google account, had that page opened, started another tab for my Obihai account, clicked the button that says "Google Voice Setup" and it goes through the process eventually appearing as connected.

However It will not receive or make calls.  How might I troubleshoot it from here?  I have deleted the account and tried setting it up again, where each time it says connected, but no joy.   :(

Any ideas?

Guys:  if you want to use Google Voice with an OBi device, "don't fight the power":  use the OBiTALK portal to update to the latest firmware and manage the service provider slots.  This method is required to use Google Voice with OBi devices.  Trying to hack this on the local web interface is just going to cause a mess, and a potential security exposure, and there is no good reason to use a downlevel release of firmware at this time.  The "I hate the portal and how dare Obihai update my firmware" attitude is really no longer realistic.  The firmware is solid.

Do this:

Open your web browser.  Log into the Google account you want to use with GV and your OBi (by "log in", I mean sign into any Google app, such as Gmail or Google Voice or Hangouts, so that your browser's session cookies are showing Google that you are logged into the account).

Open a separate browser tab (Ctrl-T), and on that tab, log into your OBiTALK portal page.  If you have an existing GV service provider slot defined on your OBi device, delete it, and wait for the OBi device to be remotely rebooted.  Then, add the GV service provider again.  When you go through the procedure, it will use OAUTH 2.0 to authenticate to your GV account.  This will pop up a window, from your Google account, and it will ask you to approve giving OBiTALK permission for offline access to your account.  Once you do that, the OBiTALK provisioning system will go through the authentication process with Google, and it will automatically download the necessary firmware to your device, if it's not already installed.  You will see a spinner icon while this is happening.  You can't make this work properly without using the portal.

Seriously:  don't try to hack this.   Just follow the procedure if you want to use GV.  If you are intent on using the local portal, you can disable updates AFTER you complete this procedure, but you will need to enable it again the next time you need to change your Google Voice configuration, so don't forget that the portal will over-write any futzing you did on the local web page.

cluckercreek

[quote author=
However It will not receive or make calls.  How might I troubleshoot it from here?  I have deleted the account and tried setting it up again, where each time it says connected, but no joy.   :(
"
Any ideas?[/quote]

It may be as simple as unplugging your Obi, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. If that doesn't solve the issue it may be your router. Check to see if your router has a "sip ALG" and uncheck it.

You didn't say BUT you must make a call first from inside your Gmail account or Hangouts+

RSendele

I have since made a calls using hangouts within my web browser, works just fine.  But still get a busy signal when using the Obi100 for calls out.  And calling the Google Voice number go to voicemail.

Wondering if I need to update the firmware.  I looked but don't see good instruction for my device on how to do the firmware update.  I bought the Obi100 about a year ago but just getting around to trying it out.

gderf

Quote from: RSendele on August 28, 2014, 07:24:35 AMI looked but don't see good instruction for my device on how to do the firmware update.

Dial ***6
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Boykin

I am having the same problem with a new Google voice number.  The instructions on the OBi website say that I need to check the box for forward to Google chat under settings on the Google voice web page.  This option is there on my old Google voice number but it is not there on the new Google number.  

Taoman

Quote from: Boykin on August 28, 2014, 07:37:13 AM
I am having the same problem with a new Google voice number.  The instructions on the OBi website say that I need to check the box for forward to Google chat under settings on the Google voice web page.  This option is there on my old Google voice number but it is not there on the new Google number.  

Have you made an outgoing call from your new Google Voice number yet?

Boykin

Quote from: Taoman on August 28, 2014, 07:49:52 AM
Quote from: Boykin on August 28, 2014, 07:37:13 AM

Have you made an outgoing call from your new Google Voice number yet?

Yes, but I still don't have the option for Google Chat.