News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Localphone on VoiceGateway 3 not working

Started by atldiyer, August 20, 2014, 01:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atldiyer

New guy here.  Been using my Obi100 for over a year now and I love it.  Works awesome.  Trying to do something more advanced and I am stuck:

SP1 is set up for Callcentric inbound calls and e911 outbound calls only.  Works awesome

SP2 is set up for Localphone outbound calls.  Works great.

Since Localphone is outbound only, I am trying to use Voice Gateway 3 to route outbound calls to localphone to free up SP2 for something else.

When I disable SP2 (leaving SP1 enabled) and enable VG3 (set correctly for Localphone), outbound calls are dialed correctly and even ring on the other end.  However, when the other party picks up the phone, there is silence - then a click - then the call is dropped.  The call is obviously originated correctly from the Obi, but somehow Localphone or the Obi drops the call.  Again, when using SP2 to make a call using localphone, it works flawlessly.

The Obi's Call History shows the call was routed over VG3 correctly. 

Thanks in advance

drgeoff

I have LocalPhone on a VoiceGateway on my OBi110 working fine.  I'm in the UK but doubt that would make any difference.

I know this does not help you much other than letting you know that you are not trying to do something  which will never work.

azrobert

Did you resolve your problem with VG3?

There is another way to accomplish what you want.
I don't want to spend the time explaining if you already fixed the problem.

Edit:
If the problem is not resolved:
Which provider were you planning to use on SP2?

atldiyer

I never got it working and just went back to the way I had it.

Now, with GV being supported, it would be nice to have LocalPhone on VG3 if I could just get it working.

SP1- GoogleVoice for domestic US calls (incoming and outgoing)
SP2- CallCentric for e911 and inbound/outbound faxes
VG3- Localphone for a backup to GV domestic US outbound calls

Thats what I would like to do.  Sounds like I need to do a firmware update to get Google Voice back, so I'll play with Localphone on the VG once I do that.

Thanks,

Mike

azrobert

Are you getting any error messages when you route a call to localphone on VG3?

You said "I disabled SP2".
What did you do to disable it?
You can't point a VG at a SP trunk that has been disabled.
I don't think you did this because the call would fail and not show in the call history.
Did you define VG3 AccessNumber like this: sp2(localphone.com)
Please post what shows in the call history.

Try defining Callcentric on VG3 and see if an outbound call works.  I know Callcentric works on a VG. If it works you are defining the VG correctly.

If you determine Localphone must be defined on SP2, you can setup Callcentric on VG3 even if you receive inbound calls. Your setup would be:
SP1- GoogleVoice for domestic US calls (incoming and outgoing)
SP2- Localphone for a backup to GV domestic US outbound calls
VG3- CallCentric for e911 and outbound faxes
CallCentric inbound faxes direct to the OBi100.

See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8397.msg55159#msg55159

atldiyer

Same issue as before, but with new setup.

SP1- GoogleVoice
SP2- Callcentric
VG1- Localphone

Calls made via VG1 are routed correctly by the Obi, and RING THE OTHER END, but when the other end answers, there is no sound.. just a click, and the call disconnects.

CALL HISTORY
--------------
Call 1   09/15/2014    20:45:03   
Terminal ID   PHONE1   SP2
Peer Name      
Peer Number   **3XXXXXXXXXX   1XXXXXXXXXX@localphone.com
Direction   Outbound   Outbound
20:45:03   New Call   
20:45:13      Call Connected
20:45:17      End Call
XXXXXXXXXX represents the phone number I dialed from my PHONE PORT, and the number I was calling TO @localphone.com.  I have {(<**3:>(Mvg1)):vg1} set in the PHONE Port settings to direct **3 calls to VG1.

VoiceServices -> Gateways and Trunk Groups -> AccessNumber is set to SP2(localphone.com)

Would it matter that the calls I wish to make using VG1 do not fit SP2's digitmap?  Does that matter?  It seems to me that the call is actually getting through, but for some reason it terminates the moment the receiving end picks up the call.

I'm at a loss.  Thanks for the help!

Mike

azrobert

Your OBi setup looks correct to me.

If you have SIP-ALG enabled on your router, disable it. This setting is known to cause strange behavior. Not all routers have this option.

See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=33.0

If you define Callcentric on VG1 do you get the same result with an outbound call?

Edit:
You asked:
QuoteWould it matter that the calls I wish to make using VG1 do not fit SP2's digitmap?  Does that matter?
The SP2 DigitMap is irrelevant. All trunk DigitMaps are irrelevant unless they are referred to by the Phone Port DigitMap or OutboundCallRoute. The Phone Port DigitMap is the only one that matters and is used to validate the dialed number. Then the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute will route the call to the appropriate trunk.

An example would be {(xxxxx):vg1} in the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute.
Any 5 digit number would be routed out vg1. It wouldn't matter what was defined in the VG1 DigitMap.

The exception to the above is Trunk Groups. They are a different animal.

atldiyer

Thanks for the help.  I'll try your idea of moving Callcentric to VG1 and Localphone to SP2 to see what happens.

I believe you said if I put Callcentric on VG1, I could still receive inbound calls through CallCentric?  I'm not sure how that would work, I thought Voice Gateways were only for originating calls.  Are there any settings to restrict inbound call routes?

Mike

azrobert

Your understanding of VGs is correct that they are only for originating calls.

Callcentric has a unique feature allowing you to route calls to an IP address. You would setup routing in Callcentric directing inbound calls to your public IP address and the port number of SP2 on your OBi. There is one or two more steps for the setup, but first see if outbound Callcentric calls will work on a VG.

atldiyer

Cool, I didn't know that.

I am using Comcast for an ISP, and they have a nasty habit of changing my IP address whenever I depend on it!

I also disabled the router SIP-ALG as you suggested, to no gain.

Thanks again.

azrobert

Quote from: atldiyer on September 16, 2014, 07:07:55 AM
I am using Comcast for an ISP, and they have a nasty habit of changing my IP address whenever I depend on it!

You can setup Dynamic DNS at http://freedns.afraid.org/

To setup Dynamic DNS
On the left column click Subdomains
click Add
Add a Subdomain like "atldiyer"
Select a Domain like "chickenkiller.com"
Click Save

Now use atldiyer.chickenkiller.com instead of your public IP address.

Some routers have the ability to update your Dynamic DNS automatically.
Or you can use your OBi100.
See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4797.msg36667#msg36667

Also see Reply#11 in the same thread.

Even if you don't want to use Callcentric this way, it will  be interesting to see if CC will work on VG1.

atldiyer

Interesting.

Callcentric did work on VG1 (with Localphone used as SP2).   Localphone still does not work on VG1 (disconnects 4 seconds after receiving end answers the call).

I'm stumped!

azrobert

Try an outbound call using Localphone on SP2, but without registration.

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: Unchecked

Maybe LP requires registration, but if that is the case it seems like the call would fail without ringing the target phone.

I don't understand either.

Do you want to try the Callcentric inbound setup without registration?

hwittenb

atldiyer,

Audio problems and a quick disconnect are often a NAT problem where the sip signalling doesn't include the correct ip address.  Some voip providers are more sophisticated than others in dealing with these problems.  Obi added some parameters in a firmware release that are documented in Maintenance Release 1.2.1(2283).

I would try adding the NAT parameters to the Gateway Access Number to see if that makes any difference.  I have Localphone setup as a Gateway with access number SP2(localphone.com;op=sn) and it works.  That says it is a Nat Address and to use STUN.  I have a STUN server enabled on the ITSP Profile for SP2.  ICE would probably work also.

Enhancements & Fixes in Maintenance Release 1.2.1 (2283):
- Added options to support NAT traversal for SIP Gateway and URL calls on SP1/2.
 You may now append these URL parameters to speed dial and SIP Gateway VG1-8 access number, separated by ';',
  - ui=userid[:password]
  - ui=user-info, password is optional
  - op=[ i ][ m ][ n ][ s ]        ;option flags, i=ice,  -m=symmetic-rtp, n=natted-address, s=stun
   Examples:
    SpeedDial = sp2(1234@sip.inum.net;ui=1000:xyz;op=sm)
    VG1-8 AccessNumber = SP1(sip.inum.net;user=1000;op=imns)
    Note that if userid or password is specified in VG1-8 AccessNumber, it overwrites the settings in AuthUserID, and AuthPassword in the VG.

atldiyer

Thanks.  I'm too new at the moment to know what STUN is!  I've got some reading to do.

How do you set up a STUN server?  Is there a cost involved with that.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

azrobert

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN

I never needed to use a STUN Server, so I don't know if stun.3cx.com works.
There are other free STUN Servers.

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General
STUNEnable: Checked
STUNServer: stun.3cx.com

drgeoff

As I mentioned above, I have localphone on a VG.  sp2(localphone.com) Working for months with no problems at all.  My router (BTHomeHub3B) doesn't have any options for SIP ALG.  I do have port 5060 forwarded to the OBi though I'm not convinced that is necessary. I don't run a STUN server.

hwittenb

A STUN server is a standardized service that echoes back to the sender the external ip address and port number that the sender is using.  When activated it is used by the OBi  to determine its external public ip address.

Some public STUN servers are
stun.callwithus.com
stun.ekiga.net
stun.voipbuster.com

atldiyer

Thanks for the responses.  I'll give that a try when a have a few minutes free.

Mike