News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 Sound is excellent.

Started by Boykin, August 28, 2014, 06:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boykin

I have 2 1032s and another on the way.  I am using them over satellite internet and there is a small delay (to be expected on satellite internet), but the voice quality is excellent.  I was on a tech support call for about 45 minutes using Google voice on the OBi1032 and at one point I thought the call had disconnected because the rep was not talking and the phone was so quite. 

SteveInWA

Yah, isn't it amazing?  Comparing this IP phone to an ATA and analog telephone combination, the extra digital-to-analog and back again conversions needed with an ATA definitely degrades the audio quality.  Aside from that, Obihai seems to have put significant engineering expertise and testing into their digital amplifier, equalizer and speaker/earpiece/microphones, to support not only narrowband (classic telco) audio, but upcoming HD Voice wideband audio.

It's as good or better than the digital PBX phones I used to use at work, from Siemens/Rolm, AT&T/Lucent/Avaya or the IP phones from Cisco.

Boykin

I can't wait for OBi to get these phones working with OBiPlus.  OBiPlus is going to make these phones great for me.  I just hope I can use one as a master OBi. 

Marc

Quote from: Boykin on August 29, 2014, 06:58:33 AM
I can't wait for OBi to get these phones working with OBiPlus.  OBiPlus is going to make these phones great for me.  I just hope I can use one as a master OBi. 

I was able to get the 1032 to work as a "user" in OBiPlus.  I would be surprised if OBi doesn't add it soon as an IP Phone.  On the other hand, they may wait until they release the 1062.

The sound really is excellent.  OBi did a fantastic job.  I'd love to see them put that technology into a multi-line cordless phone either as an independent device or as an add-on to the 1032/1062.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

Boykin

Quote from: Marc on August 29, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
Quote from: Boykin on August 29, 2014, 06:58:33 AM

I was able to get the 1032 to work as a "user" in OBiPlus.  I would be surprised if OBi doesn't add it soon as an IP Phone.  On the other hand, they may wait until they release the 1062.

The sound really is excellent.  OBi did a fantastic job.  I'd love to see them put that technology into a multi-line cordless phone either as an independent device or as an add-on to the 1032/1062.

You have the working as clients off of a 202?  I would be willing to buy a 202 to get OBiPlus set up with my 3 1032s but I am not sure if I need to.  I emailed this email to Obi:

I see that I can now add an OBi1032 as a client in the OBiPlus setup but not as a master.  Will we be able to use and OBi1032 as a master at some point or do I need to go ahead and order an OBi202 so I can set up OBiPlus on my 1032s?

I got this response:

OBi1032 is not supported on OBiPLUS. You will need to use Cisco IP phones for OBiPLUS extensions. Note that you can also use OBi device as your extension.

Regards,
Obihai Technology

azrobert

Boykin,

What functions do you want with your OBi1032s?
You can do almost anything you want using a direct LAN connection like I helped you forward inbound calls.

Edit:

Expanding on the above, you can setup one 1032 as a master. Then you can route outbound calls from the other 1032s out any trunk on the master. Any 1032 can call the others, like extensions. You can even set them up as peers and any 1032 can route calls out any trunk on any other 1032.

The only thing you can't do is directly execute a Speed Dial on the master, but you can setup the equivalent of a Speed Dial.

Boykin

I would like to be able to see on each phone if a line is active and I would like to have 3 digit dialing between phones.  I would also like to be able to put a call on hold in one room and pick it up in another. 

I have not had a chance to try all of these to see if they work or not.  I know if I am on a call, the line buttons on the other phones do not light up to show a line is in use.

azrobert

Did you see the update to my last post?

QuoteI would like to be able to see on each phone if a line is active
I don't know how to do this.

QuoteI would like to have 3 digit dialing between phones.
This is an easy setup.

QuoteI would also like to be able to put a call on hold in one room and pick it up in another.
I don't own an OBi1032, so I don't know the functions.
An OBi ATA has a call transfer function.
Hit flash then dial a number to transfer the call.
Hit flash again for a 3-way or hang up.
You could transfer the call to another phone using the 3 digit extension number setup from your second question.
I know this is not the same as what you want.

azrobert

Setup 3 digit extension numbers for your 1032s.

IP Phone -> Phone Settings -> DigitMap
Add following AFTER the beginning parenthesis:
10[123]|

IP Phone -> Phone Settings -> OutboundCallRoute
Add to the beginning:
{(Mexten):sp3},

User Settings -> User Defined Digit Maps -> Map 2
Label: exten
DigitMap: (101<@192.168.0.101:5062>|102<@192.168.0.102:5062>|103<@192.168.0.103:5062>)

Dial 101, 102 or 103.
You only need the addresses of the other 2 1032s.

Boykin

Thanks.  I will have to try this when I get home.

azrobert

I just realized the following is not valid:
101<@192.168.0.101:5062>

A colon can't be used. Any before the colon is removed and anything after is added. I wanted to add the whole string including the colon.

This should work:

IP Phone -> Phone Settings -> DigitMap
Add following AFTER the beginning parenthesis:
10[123]|

IP Phone -> Phone Settings -> OutboundCallRoute
Add to the beginning:
{101:sp3(101@192.168.0.101:5062)},{102:sp3(102@192.168.0.102:5062)},{103:sp3(103@192.168.0.103:5062)}

MarkObihai

Or rather than use IP addresses (which may change if you use DHCP and can be annoying to manage if you go static) you can use the OBiTALK number of each device in IP Phone -> Phone Settings -> OutboundCallRoute

For example:

{101:PP(ob600123456)},{102:PP(ob600456789)},{103:PP(ob600789123)}

Make sure you use the OBi number of each phone - it's printed on the rear label  ;)

And of course make the digitmap change as per azrobert

An important note - if you have added your device to OBiTALK then the OBis would have been placed into a circle of trust.  This means that when they dial each other, they will be directed to the auto attendant.  So, we need to ensure the diversion to aa is removed.

Ensure the following:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute

reads as:  ph

Delete any other entries that may have populated this field.

Quote from: Boykin on August 30, 2014, 01:44:13 PM
I would like to be able to see on each phone if a line is active

This function is called Busy Lamp Field or BLF.  This is not supported by your voice service (you mention you use GV), but presence is - however presence doesn't show the state of the line, just what the user has set their status as.  For true BLF support, you'll need a VoIP service that supports this feature.  BLF shows the actual call state of the line, which is what I believe you are after.

If you want to go ahead and use presence anyway then first enable buddy list - you can enable buddy list under Voice Services -> SPx Service in the Network Provided Services section.  After the OBi restarts, scroll down the icon list on its screen and the buddy list will appear after scrolling below the Preferences icon.  

You can now map the user presence to a line key or programmable key by using the monitor dropdown of the setup wizard in OBiTALK.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

Boykin

Thanks for your help guys.  These phones are great.

I like going the IP route because I can only get satellite internet and having to go to the internet and back would put a lag on the call and use up my data.  I only get 15 GB of total data usage a month. 

azrobert

Quote from: MarkObihai on September 04, 2014, 02:25:29 AM
Or rather than use IP addresses (which may change if you use DHCP and can be annoying to manage if you go static) you can use the OBiTALK number of each device in IP Phone -> Phone Settings -> OutboundCallRoute

I helped the OP with another problem and knew he used a satellite connection. Obitalk would have too much delay.
See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8493.0

MarkObihai

I see your logic behind the IP dialling approach now  :)

The media in the OBiTALK protocol would still go peer to peer, but you would still have some signalling and so forth going back to the cloud so you definitely want to keep as much off the sat link as you can
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)