News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Alternate uses for the Line Port for people who don't need it for POTS line

Started by QBZappy, January 30, 2011, 02:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

I am not using the line port and was thinking about how I could put it to use. Over at MichiganTelephone's Blog I noticed in one of his posts he was wondering out loud about the same thing.

I can think of two uses.
1) Door phones: which can open doors attached to an electric door strike. Found an example here (http://www.homephone.com/index.html)

2) Skype adapter gateway. There are very few ways we can use Skype without having a computer on. I did find this phone which doesn't need a computer. However it is pricey. Philips VOIP841 PC-Free DECT 6.0 Wireless IP Phone

If you don't mind having a computer on there are more choices of adapters out there in the market place. I found these:
SkyLink Pro - USB Personal VoIP Gateway for Skype (http://sewelldirect.com/SkyLink-Pro---USB-Personal-VoIP-Gateway-for-Skype.asp)
D-Link Skype USB Phone Adapter (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=466)

Not an adapter solution, but requiring a dedicated computer or a virtual machine to run it. Consider an Asterisk PBX. PBX in a Flash Asterisk FreePBX (http://pbxinaflash.net/)  This version has a prebuilt Skype gateway which can be used as an extension connected to the Obi. We can use the Obi bridging features to connect to SIP accounts. PBX in a Flash version of Asterisk is very easy to setup by the average person.

Anyone else can think of an alternate use for that Line Port?

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

DaveSin

Well, you can also plug another (locked) ATA into that port; e.g, VOIPo, T-Mobile@home,  etc.

azrobert

If you're like me and have a spare ATA after purchasing the OBi, you can connect the line port to the spare ATA for another SIP connection without using a 2nd physical phone.

I believe the Asterisk implementation of Skype uses the SIPTOSIS gateway, but you don't need Asterisk to run the gateway.   The SIPTOSIS gateway will run on a Windows machine.

Expanding on the above, you can have the SIPTOSIS gateway talking to your spare ATA which is connected to the OBi giving you Skype on the OBi line port.

You can download the SIPTOSIS gateway for free here:
http://download.cnet.com/SipToSis/3000-2349_4-10969407.html

rwbuckn

I have mine plugged into a Xlink Bluetooth to cell phone gateway. Now I can choose SP1 or SP2 or Cell.

QBZappy

If/when the OBi units integrate Skype, there is an interesting product that can be connected to each other which would give us Skype service without much technical knowledge and not requiring a computer to be on.

OBi+FREETALK ConnectMe = POTS+Google Voice+SIP+OBiTalk Network+Skype

This would be the missing link that could make the already unique OBi an ATA killer.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tome

Quote from: rwbuckn on February 08, 2011, 04:17:16 PM
I have mine plugged into a Xlink Bluetooth to cell phone gateway. Now I can choose SP1 or SP2 or Cell.

I like that idea.  How do you like the Xlink?
Tom

quanttrom

Quote from: tome on August 31, 2011, 05:11:39 PM

I like that idea.  How do you like the Xlink?
Tom

I happen to have one of those Xlink BT gateways too and I like it so far. I included it in a trunk group and it will call out through my cell phone or through SIP if cell is not available.

I am looking into adding a PC and using the Xlink BT gateway as a Skype gateway. I will tell you how that goes.

The sound quality is OK. It's not as good as a real SIP or POTS landline but it does the job.

iBOBi

Quote from: azrobert on February 04, 2011, 06:16:28 PM
If you're like me and have a spare ATA after purchasing the OBi, you can connect the line port to the spare ATA for another SIP connection without using a 2nd physical phone.

Expanding on the above, you can have the SIPTOSIS gateway talking to your spare ATA which is connected to the OBi giving you Skype on the OBi line port.

I have SIPTOSIS gateway running on a windows XP laptop and successfuly configured to have skype users ring my phone on a innomedia 6328-2Re ATA, but I am not able to configure the ATA to call skype users with skype speed dial through SIPTOSIS, now I have this OBI110 and have the innomedia ATA connected to the OBI's LINE port, how do I setup the OBI to bypass the innomedia ATA and call skype user through SIPTOSIS ? thanks ~

iBOBi

please disregard my first post, just after I posted I've successfuly dial skype user with speed dial from obi by configuring SP2 with the SIPTOSIS's IP address and user register/password info and I can dial **2XX (XX is the speed dial setting in my skype . everything works now ^_^

iBOBi

Since SIPTOSIS forum is kind of idle, I'd like to ask here that how can I mute the registration update in the SipToSis.log, the registration update from my OBI110 appears around every 30 seconds that would waste my disk space and bloated the log file quickly. Thanks in advance ~~

RonR

Quote from: iBOBi on February 27, 2012, 10:20:21 AM
Since SIPTOSIS forum is kind of idle, I'd like to ask here that how can I mute the registration update in the SipToSis.log, the registration update from my OBI110 appears around every 30 seconds that would waste my disk space and bloated the log file quickly.

You should not have SipToSis trying to register with the OBi as the OBi is not a SIP server and will not accept SIP registrations.  You should have the following entry in siptosis.cfg:

do_register=no

iBOBi

You should not have SipToSis trying to register with the OBi as the OBi is not a SIP server and will not accept SIP registrations.  You should have the following entry in siptosis.cfg:

do_register=no

I've tried do_register=no, but it doesn't work, when I press **2xx got response: "There is no service to complete your call", but when I register OBI's SP2 to the SIP2SIS server it works, I know OBi is not a SIP server, in my case I am registering skype userID/password to the SIP2SIS server with these in siptosis.cfg:

host_port=5060
contact_url=sip:skypests@192.168.10.195:5060
username=mySkypeId
password=mySkypePw
realm=192.168.10.195

RonR

rsriram22

Thanks for suggesting this one.. I got a 110 few days ago and now a BT adapter is released for obi202. I guess xlink does exactly the same thing with 110.. thanks again!
have two 100s and one 110