News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Another wall jack question

Started by MJINNY, September 02, 2014, 06:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 04, 2014, 05:17:31 PM
Note that telephone wire is never (legally) run in the same conduit as electric power.  A building inspector's head would explode if he saw that. 

Trust me, building inspectors have seen worse.  And their heads are still there.  Their citation writing fingers on the other hand, not so much.

MJINNY

Thanks! I noticed that too.  Where I think it's grounded is perhaps on the plastic conduit going down the telephone pole into the ground (where the main electricity goes).  The building inspector inspected the whole thing however and was fine with it.  I was able to solve my problem by unplugging the power from the Obi unit, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back in.  Once I did that, the second light lit green and it was connected to GV again.  Maybe an auto-firmware update that required a manual restart?  Although I don't know the exact cause of the problem, if it happens in the future I will unplug it and plug it back in. 

MurrayB

Removing power and waiting about a minute for things to discharge and returning the power is the first thing to do when things appear to hang up.

Glad to hear that you are up and running.

MJINNY

Thanks!  I'm sure it will happen again but unplugging and powering back up only takes a minute.  I just hope it doesn't happen when I need to make a call. 

MJINNY

Update...happened again a couple of times.  The last time it happened during the middle of a conversation.  As usual, I unplugged the power, plugged it back in and everything was fine.  I sent a message to Obi support and they told me that they checked by unit and everything was fine...which of course it was at that point because I had restarted the unit.  They told me to contact them again when it goes offline...which I will and they will surely tell me to restart the unit, which I have been doing.  

MJINNY

Quote from: MJINNY on September 25, 2014, 05:15:08 AM
Update...happened again a couple of times.  The last time it happened during the middle of a conversation.  As usual, I unplugged the power, plugged it back in and everything was fine.  I sent a message to Obi support and they told me that they checked by unit and everything was fine...which of course it was at that point because I had restarted the unit.  They told me to contact them again when it goes offline...which I will and they will surely tell me to restart the unit, which I have been doing.  

It's been happening a lot lately.  I even plugged the phone directly into the Obi unit (as opposed to the wall).  Unplugging the power and resetting the device always fixes the the issue but it will disconnect again in a few days.  I logged into the device's admin page and confirmed that I was indeed using the latest firmware.  Obi tech support recommended that I put the Obi in the router's DMZ but I have some reservations about this.  What does everyone else think about putting the device in the DMZ?

drgeoff

IMHO putting any device in the DMZ can be useful as a temporary situation for diagnostic purposes but leaving it there permanently should be a last resort when there is absolutely no alternative.