News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problems with OBiWiFi and 1032s

Started by Boykin, September 04, 2014, 08:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boykin

Is anyone else having problems with the OBi1032 and OBiWiFi adapters.  If the phone looses power, I have to reset up the Wi-Fi connection again to get the adapters to connect.  I have 3 1032s with the OBiWifi and they all have this problem. They can find the network, but they cannot authenticate to it.  I have given them 30 minutes or longer and they do not connect to the network.  I am connecting them to a wireless network that does not broadcast the SS ID.  I am not sure if that makes a difference.  I have also had problems adding the phones to OBiTalk using the Wi-Fi adapters. After you enter the **5 xxxx code, the phones crash and reboot.  By the time the phone comes back up and connects to the network, to much time has passed to connect to OBiTalk.  I had to use a lan cable to connect the phones to OBiTalk.  The phones did not crash or reboot when using the lan cable. 

WelshPaul

Yep I have had the same issues as yourself.

The OBi1032 will not register against an OBiTALK account over WiFi. It has been raised as a fault and will get fixed soon I'm sure.

How are the phones powered? POE or via mains adaptor?
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Boykin

I am using the power adapter.  I do not have any POE switches. 

WelshPaul

Was it supplied with the phone? or taken from another OBi device?

What's it's output rating? 12v 1A for example?
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Boykin

I am using the power adapters that came with the phones.  I don't know what the power rating is.  I am not at home.

WelshPaul

When your home take a look at let me know.

In the meantime, reset the phone... Proceed to setup WiFi again, when done press connect and then exit back to the default home screen and wait. Eventually it should connect! Took mine 20 minutes once yesterday. ;)

Hidden SSID is not the issue BTW... Mine is visible and I had the same issue. I changed something that I don't want to post and it has worked flawlessly today apart from registering my device with OBiTALK over WiFi that is. I intend swapping back tomorrow and see what results I get.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Boykin

I have been using my laptop to set up the wifi.  It is easer to enter my lengthy password using a keyboard than using the pone to set up wifi.  When I set up wifi using my laptop, it usually connects to the network in under a minute.  It will stay connected unless you have to unplug it.  Once it looses power though, you have to re do the wifi setup. 

WelshPaul

Mine also initially kept forgetting the WiFi settings upon rebooting the device; one thing I did notice at the time was that it never actually really connected properly in the first place. It appeared to show as connected on the display then 30-60 seconds later zero bars. When you looked at the WiFi status in the menu you had authentication failure or something along those words. Pull the plug and kill the power then reconnecting it to mains power would result in having to re-setup WiFi again.

Now that the phone is 100% connected and working OK, if I pull the mains plug and kill power to the device wait 30 seconds and power it back up it re-connects after a few seconds although when it does lock on it goes through some sort of soft reboot process then it's good.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Boykin

Here is what the data sheet says about the power supply.

Power Supply – Optional – Not Included with Telephone – Required if Phone will Be Operated Using WiFi

Type  Universal Switching with Region Dependent Plug
Input Power  AC Input: 100 to 240 Volts 1.5A 50-60Hz (26-34 VA)
Output Power  DC: +12V  1.0 Amp Max

WelshPaul

Quote from: Boykin on September 04, 2014, 09:51:18 AM
Here is what the data sheet says about the power supply.

Power Supply – Optional – Not Included with Telephone – Required if Phone will Be Operated Using WiFi

Type  Universal Switching with Region Dependent Plug
Input Power  AC Input: 100 to 240 Volts 1.5A 50-60Hz (26-34 VA)
Output Power  DC: +12V  1.0 Amp Max

Yea I know all that, I suspect that is the rating of yours in use at present. ;)

I will know more tomorrow upon further testing and comparing results. Maybe nothing, maybe something.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Boykin

If I connect the phones via a wired connection and power supply, I don't have any problems.  
When I am connected via wifi, I have 3 or 4 bars of signal strength and it stays there.

I had to take the phones to my office so I could plug in a LAN cable to add them to my OBitalk account.  When I disconnected them and plugged them back in where I wanted them to be used, they would not reconnect to the network.  

WelshPaul

I wonder if connecting to an Ethernet cable, booting the phone, then disconnecting the power and the Ethernet cable followed by booting the phone back up causes the settings to be lost?

Give me a moment I will try.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

WelshPaul

OK so upon connecting the 1032 to an Ethernet cable and booting the phone, the results are... It still connects over WiFi ignoring the Ethernet connection.

So I kill power and remove OBiWIFI from the USB port and boot the phone and it connects just fine via Ethernet...

Kill power again, remove Ethernet cable and connect OBiWIFI and the result...

It connected to WiFi first time.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Boykin

Did you change something on the phone or on your network that fixed your problem?

Boykin

Power supply - Input 100-240V ~ .5A 50-60 Hz
Output - 12V-1.0A  27-37VA

WelshPaul

Ok it appears the change I made was not the result of fixing things for me.

I had all these issues when I setup the phone for the first time, however not sure why mine works just fine now... What's changed? I don't know, I did reset the phone via the phone's on screen display a few times when I had WiFi issues initially and I'm only running the UK settings config along with sp1 configured for voicehost. tried killing the mains supply many times and it just works for me now after testing for 48 hours!

Did you factory reset the phone after doing a firmware upgrade? if not, maybe that's the key?
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Boykin

I have factory reset the device but it was a few days after the firmware upgrade. 

WelshPaul

What I did was replace the 12v 1a adaptor with a 12v 2a adaptor. Now the adaptor does not push 2a to the phone, it only supplies what the phone asks for up to a maximum of 2a. (centre positive)

However I strongly recommend users only use the supplied or recommend adaptor as per OBIHAI's spec sheet. If you don't know what your doing you could destroy your phone and void your warranty!
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Boykin

Update:  I am no longer having to set up the Wi-Fi settings every time I disconnect the power.  I replaced my Cisco RV120W router with an Asus RT-AC87R router and the problem went away. 

giqcass

Quote from: Boykin on February 06, 2015, 02:12:09 PM
Update:  I am no longer having to set up the Wi-Fi settings every time I disconnect the power.  I replaced my Cisco RV120W router with an Asus RT-AC87R router and the problem went away. 
Out of curiosity is the new router set to broadcast SSID? 
Long live our new ObiLords!