News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

DTMF problems after firmware upgrade

Started by AndyJ, May 11, 2011, 08:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJ

After upgrading to 1.2.1(2283), I'm seeing issues with services using DTMF codes. I did not see this with the previous release. This is occurring both with Google Voice and with a standard SIP provider. The far end seems to have trouble recognizing the codes on many (but not all) calls. For instance, if I call a service that requires me to enter a PIN or password, it will tell me that the I entered the wrong value when, in fact, I have entered the correct value.

Interestingly, this doesn't seem to be consistent. For instance, I just called a number, and the first 2 times, the DTMF signaling didn't work right. The third time, it worked fine.

Edit: I see there's a previous thread with some suggestions for solving DTMF issues at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=577.15 ; however, it worked fine before the upgrade, so I'm not sure what changed. I'll have to try some of those suggestions.

XDRich

I see the same effects when sending DTMF to Google Voice.
I too have upgraded to this firmware.

Moderator ... Please submit bug report.

RonR

I'm seeing the same problem here.  With 2103, I never had a single issue with DTMF anywhere, but I've got a couple of services that are now totally broken with 2283.  One is DiscoverCard : (800) 347-2683  It also appears that incoming audio (prompts) is being echoed back which is interpreted as DTMF coming from the caller.  This is occurring on both Google Voice and SIP calls.  DiscoverCard worked perfectly prior to 2283.  A similar thing happens with the iNum echo test: 883510000000091

This is a serious problem.

There's another anomaly that may or may not be related.  When a call is first connected, there is an annoying 'thump' after dialing and the call is connected as the audio is enabled.  This wasn't present in previous releases.

XDRich

AndyJ

Quote from: XDRich on May 11, 2011, 09:39:41 AM
Found a fix in the forums.
Set the DTMF to InBand and all is well. ;D

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=577.15
... but that doesn't answer the question of why it worked perfectly with the previous firmware with the default settings, and is broken with the current firmware. (Did OBi change the defaults in the new firmware?). So, using InBand is really a workaround, not a fix :)

yhfung

AndyJ,

Why do not you do factory reset your OBi device before updating the firmware again?

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

RonR

Switching to InBand does fix DTMF problems with some destinations, but it causes problems with others.  For example, InBand will not work when connected to Asterisk systems.  Only RFC2833 works properly with Asterisk.  It appears the DTMF Auto detection in 2283 isn't working as it did in previous versions.

I still wonder if this is related to the annoying 'thump' that occurs when the audio (RTP?) is first enabled, which doesn't go away when InBand is selected.

Kaizer

DTMF does not work for obi to obi (2 stage calling) with inband enabled.

obi-support2

We are investigating this issue.

FYI, the previous f/w version is still available here if you would like to temporarily downgrade:

http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi-1-2-1-2103.fw

Thank you for reporting the issue.
OBIHAI Support Staff

Coach

I'm just wondering will a firmware upgrade be coming out once a solution is found... .sorry for such a newbie question, but I'm not sure how the process works.  I am having problems with the particular issue.  Thanks for all your help... I really enjoy the OBiTalk.

obi-support2

Fix is now available.
Please upgrade again to 1.2.1(2286).
You can dial  * * * 6 from your phone to get the upgrade.

Thank you.
OBIHAI Support Staff

mrtim

I'm still having issues with some systems while using Google Voice.  When I dialed into two conference calls today, everything went fine.  When I tried to call Best Buy, their system would not recognize the DTMF tones.

When I called Cox Communications to cancel my phone service to save $31 a month, their system would not recognize the tones sent from my OBi device... After that, I decided not to cancel my phone service..  ::)

Is anyone else still having DTMF issues with the latest firmware?

LeftRight

Umm ... Do you mind sharing the phone numbers (Cox & Best buy) that your GV has problem with?

mrtim

Cox was 602-277-1000  I just tried both again and Best Buy worked if I hold down the key for two seconds

Cox is still broken

LeftRight

Just calling into the number you provide, I can navigate their IVR system well (I own two OBi 110 units, both seem to be OK with DTMF) , and I have pretty much suggested setting from OBi (method: auto, fixed duration)... When you said Cox was broken, do you mean their system cannot recognize your digits at all? or account didn't get through?

Also, you might try to call the Cox through your Gmail, and see if that gives a better experience ...

mrtim

Cox prompted me to ender my ten-digit phone number since it does not know who I am when I call from the OBi device.  Cox would not recoginize any of the DTMF tones I entered.

*Correction* If I press the tones for more than one second, it seems to work...

johnnyk74

I don't know if this is also related to DTMF issues, but I was unable to make a new call through AA (2-step dialing) after recent firmware updates (including 2286). 

I downgraded my firmware back to 2103, and voila, it works again!