December 13, 2017, 03:16:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Voice and Obihai Update - 11 Sept. 2014 -  (Read 1061912 times)
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 09:46:42 pm »

I think that statement in the press release was a misunderstanding or a poorly-worded statement about how calling via the Hangouts client works.

When you open the Hangouts client in Gmail, or on your mobile phone (with the brand new version of Hangouts), you can type in somebody's Gmail address.  IF (and only if) they have a Google Voice phone number, and you can find them via their Gmail address, then you can click the little telephone handset icon to place a call to their OBi.

This is not the same as the classic instant messenger/chat/Hangouts chat - it's just a way to locate the user.

If you try to "have a Hangout" with that user ID, it won't ring the OBi phone.  Just let it make a telephone call.

Do the firmware update and migrate to the new authentication protocol.  You aren't risking anything.

nlurker

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 06:13:52 am »

I think that statement in the press release was a misunderstanding or a poorly-worded statement about how calling via the Hangouts client works.

That is exactly what I was afraid of.  I was hoping someone would actually try it and confirm that the press release is in error or not, since it specifically describes a new capability that I desire.  Bonus points if "Marketing" clarifies the accuracy of their own statement.

Do the firmware update and migrate to the new authentication protocol.  You aren't risking anything.

Yes, I am risking changing my working Obi into a brick, as has happened (rarely) to a few unlucky people here.  I won't take that risk without a reason to.  Being able to answer/join a Hangout from my Obi would be a very compelling reason for me to take that (small) risk.
Rick

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2014, 06:41:31 am »

Interesting announcement.  Not wanting the risk of problems, I had reactivated my Callcentric account back  in May and forwarded GV to Callcentric, which then rang my OBi.  However, I was not making outbound calls, except for 911, on the phones, instead having GV ring the phone via my PC.

I'm thinking I will change SP1 back to GV, leaving Callcentric for E911.  

I do hate it when I go into the OBi to make changes every 6 months.  Takes me 1/2 hour to remember how to do what I want to do.  

Edit - Now that I've done more reading, I find two obstacles to doing this, at least for me.

1) Using the OBi portal.  Haven't in years.  Don't want to because a) I live using the direct interface and b) I don't want OBi updating my firmware without my knowledge.

2) It appears I have to update firmware, although 2774 does seem to be the latest even though it's quite old.  No, I see there were several updates but no changelogs were provided.   I would never update any device where the manufacturer is so lazy they don't provide a reasonable changelog for the firmware version.  Rule is if it's not broke, don't update.

I wonder if I can use the portal, get GV to work, then stop using the portal?

Based on OBi updating my firmware without any explanation of changes to re-add GV, I'm not doing this.  Very poor business practices.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:10:13 am by Rick » Logged
Crow550

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »

Interesting announcement.  Not wanting the risk of problems, I had reactivated my Callcentric account back  in May and forwarded GV to Callcentric, which then rang my OBi.  However, I was not making outbound calls, except for 911, on the phones, instead having GV ring the phone via my PC.

I'm thinking I will change SP1 back to GV, leaving Callcentric for E911.  

I do hate it when I go into the OBi to make changes every 6 months.  Takes me 1/2 hour to remember how to do what I want to do.  

Edit - Now that I've done more reading, I find two obstacles to doing this, at least for me.

1) Using the OBi portal.  Haven't in years.  Don't want to because a) I live using the direct interface and b) I don't want OBi updating my firmware without my knowledge.

2) It appears I have to update firmware, although 2774 does seem to be the latest even though it's quite old.  No, I see there were several updates but no changelogs were provided.   I would never update any device where the manufacturer is so lazy they don't provide a reasonable changelog for the firmware version.  Rule is if it's not broke, don't update.

I wonder if I can use the portal, get GV to work, then stop using the portal?

Based on OBi updating my firmware without any explanation of changes to re-add GV, I'm not doing this.  Very poor business practices.

The update has been working fantastic.

It's needed to keep things secure as it uses a new Security method. No one should be using the old login.

The old login was not approved by Google, a hack and was deemed insecure.

You should be happy that Obihai is keeping these updates coming. Wink

Google made a way for people to continue enjoying Landline like calls and keeping people secure while doing so.

So either enjoy it or go with another provider.... Yes I agree update notifications and changelogs would be nice.

I wouldn't mind if the Obi auto updated or had an auto update option. Most things do these days....

Anyways be glad Google is officially supporting G-Voice calling with the Obihai devices now.
Rick

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 04:56:41 am »

Yes I agree update notifications and changelogs would be nice.

I wouldn't mind if the Obi auto updated or had an auto update option. Most things do these days....

Anyways be glad Google is officially supporting G-Voice calling with the Obihai devices now.

I'm not disagreeing that a secure way to use GV with the OBi isn't good.  I don't know of anything I own that auto updates.

Assuming OBi applies an auto update, and the power goes out 1/2 way through and the device bricks, and your warranty is over - do they replace the OBi device?

There is no valid excuse for not providing an update changelog.
Crow550

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 12:37:58 am »

Yes I agree update notifications and changelogs would be nice.

I'm not disagreeing that a secure way to use GV with the OBi isn't good.  I don't know of anything I own that auto updates.

Assuming OBi applies an auto update, and the power goes out 1/2 way through and the device bricks, and your warranty is over - do they replace the OBi device?

There is no valid excuse for not providing an update changelog.

Take responsibility and try to prevent that from happening. Plug it into a UPS Battery Backup. Even if you manually update the power "could" always go out at any time....

Most devices have a firmware backup built in if something does interrupt it. Not all though.

Like I said.... Worried about the power going out.... Plug it into a Battery backup. Simple....

We live in times where pretty much everything auto updates.

I do agree there should be a setting to have a prompt for updating.

Heck an E-mail would be nice too....With a changelog. Or have the Obi alert you an update is ready....

However nothing is perfect.... Still a neat product just with some annoying kinks. Wink
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:43:15 am by Crow550 » Logged
Rick

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 05:42:25 am »

Take responsibility and try to prevent that from happening. Plug it into a UPS Battery Backup. Even if you manually update the power "could" always go out at any time....

Most devices have a firmware backup built in if something does interrupt it. Not all though.

Like I said.... Worried about the power going out.... Plug it into a Battery backup. Simple....

We live in times where pretty much everything auto updates.

I do agree there should be a setting to have a prompt for updating.

Heck an E-mail would be nice too....With a changelog. Or have the Obi alert you an update is ready....

However nothing is perfect.... Still a neat product just with some annoying kinks. Wink

Whether I supply a battery backup or not has nothing to do with the point that I don't want my devices auto updated.  I am not worried about the power going out.  If it does, most of the time Comcast's cable service goes down too.  But my cell also rings when the number is called, so I have no need of a battery backup.

You keep saying pretty much everything auto updates.  I'm of the belief that NOTHING I own auto updates.  Not my cell phone, not the apps on my cell phone, none of my tech products, etc.  I want to choose what to update.
Crow550

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 04:02:51 pm »

Well for devices in my House.

TV, Roku & Chromecast, Windows will auto update.

Phone & PS3 (unless upgrade to PS+) will notify when update is available.

alexusXXI

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2014, 06:36:40 pm »

As of today, 09/20 google voice does not work with Obi when added from scratch with firmware update. More details are at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8663.0
But apparently older setup with google voice will continue to work. Just don't try to add google voice if you already got rid of it.
SteveInWA

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2014, 06:57:42 pm »

alexusXXI:

That is not correct at all; Google Voice works fine with OBi devices; set up "from scratch" or otherwise.

Don't cross-post in the forum with the same question in multiple threads.

Discuss your issue in your original thread.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:01:01 pm by SteveInWA » Logged

Crow550

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2014, 07:09:12 pm »

As of today, 09/20 google voice does not work with Obi when added from scratch with firmware update. More details are at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8663.0
But apparently older setup with google voice will continue to work. Just don't try to add google voice if you already got rid of it.

Please don't Spam. All you had to do is ask the community for help in the thread you made and wait for solutions. Wink
JustinFC

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2014, 08:36:56 pm »

After the news that GV is officially supported on OBI, I reset GV in my OBI account, and set up GV as my primary outgoing call line, but my other service, PhonePower, still takes my outgoing calls.

It does not matter for domestic calls.  But for int'l calls, PhonePower is a little more expensive.

Any solutions?
alexusXXI

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2014, 08:41:01 pm »

Yes after getting some help it was possible to make it work. The missing piece was old gtalk chat. Sorry about the confusion.
nlurker

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2014, 01:13:28 pm »

The OBi phone will ring if the userís Google Voice number is called or if the userís Google ID is called via Hangouts or Gmail.

How do I ask an official Obihai representative to clarify this statement in the press release?  Will calls to the user's Google ID ring the OBi phone?  This definitely does not work for me with firmware 1.3.0 (Build: 2824).
SteveInWA

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2014, 10:38:45 pm »

The OBi phone will ring if the userís Google Voice number is called or if the userís Google ID is called via Hangouts or Gmail.

How do I ask an official Obihai representative to clarify this statement in the press release?  Will calls to the user's Google ID ring the OBi phone?  This definitely does not work for me with firmware 1.3.0 (Build: 2824).

Why are you pushing this issue, other than making a point?  Google Voice doesn't support telephone calls to a user ID, such as in the SIP world, where one can call a user's SIP-ID@sipserver?

Google Hangouts, which can operate as a peer-to-peer internet chat system, can be used to contact someone via their Google ID.  The OBi devices are not Hangouts peers.

nlurker

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24:09 am »

Why are you pushing this issue, other than making a point?  Google Voice doesn't support telephone calls to a user ID, such as in the SIP world, where one can call a user's SIP-ID@sipserver?

Google Hangouts, which can operate as a peer-to-peer internet chat system, can be used to contact someone via their Google ID.  The OBi devices are not Hangouts peers.

Steve, I am not pushing the issue, just asking for clarification from Obihai.  I agree with you that "the OBi devices are not Hangouts peers", so I am confused why Obihai would release an official announcement stating that "the OBi phone will ring ... if the userís Google ID is called via Hangouts".

Obihai, what do you mean by this?
AJor

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:25 pm »

Google Voice is now Officially Supported on OBi VoIP devices.

Obihai is excited to announce official support for Google Voice........

This reminds me of a scene from a 60's movie about apes where Chuck Heston says:

"I'm back. I'm home! All the time it was....." (but with a happier ending)
AJor

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2014, 09:04:55 pm »

This is good news, but it would have been better news if Google Voice wasn't officially unsupported earlier this year, prompting many to go buy annual plans with other providers.

Exactly my comment. I did end up buying annual plans.

I rode it out for 5 months, being a thrifty type, and never had a service interruption.
SteveInWA

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:49 am »

Google Voice is now Officially Supported on OBi VoIP devices.

Obihai is excited to announce official support for Google Voice........

This reminds me of a scene from a 60's movie about apes where Chuck Heston says:

"I'm back. I'm home! All the time it was....." (but with a happier ending)

Pointless cross-posting.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8149.msg58971#msg58971

Zesty

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2014, 08:26:49 pm »

Quote from: SteveInWA link=topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460
  • If you do not see Google Chat, then open another browser tab, log into Gmail, not GV, and use Google Chat, not Google Hangouts to make one outbound phone call.  This will restore Chat to your list of forwarding targets.
Can someone explain this in more detail?  When I log into gmail.com, there is no "Google Chat" option.  "Hangouts Contacts" or "Hangout Conversations" are my only two choices.

* nochatchoice.jpg (52.18 KB, 582x480 - viewed 1125 times.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: