December 17, 2017, 11:26:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Voice and Obihai Update - 11 Sept. 2014 -  (Read 1067394 times)
ipse

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2015, 08:09:54 pm »

In case someone didn't follow the other threads...the issue is fixed now...tested and working.

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain
vtsnaab

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2015, 12:14:26 pm »

Indeed this was great news & very appreciated.

I too stood with it using my Obi110 on SP1, but also worthy of mention:
Fantastic news!  Cheesy Being patient paid off... I never abandoned GV and now we can just keep using it
While being a time of great learning about VOIP & SIP & other such things - it also brought many folks like myself to spend $$ they could not afford upon services they ultimately did not need.
In the process I also wasted countless hours carefully examining ITSPs to no good end because there are just so many of them that are fly-by-night, no-goodniks, or simply incapable of delivering what they promise.
I also did find one that is excellent in the process and have stuck with that one, but all that wasted time & $$ did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I am still just as delighted to have & use the Obi110 & GV today as ever - and have gotten a bunch of others into Obi boxes as well (after things settled a bit).

Ultimately my lesson learned above all is:
Wait a spell & see if it is really broken before getting too busy trying to fix it.
ChrisDad

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2015, 09:39:35 am »

Does anyone know if you can use AT&T prepaid to transfer a home phone number to Google Voice?
According to AT&T it can be done,  but not sure if Google Voice will transfer from AT&T.

The tutorial is set up for T-Mobile, but I don't want to have to pay for a month of service just to transfer our home number to Google Voice:
http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2015, 12:46:56 pm »

Yes.  I don't know why Obihai picked T-Mobile for their tutorial, but AT&T GoPhone actually works fine, and it's my first choice when recommending the landline-->mobile phone workaround.

One thing that trips people up with GoPhone:  when you submit the porting request via Google Voice, you need to know your GoPhone account number and PIN.  The account number needed for porting is not displayed to the customer on the GoPhone web site.  You must contact GoPhone support and specifically ask them, "I need to port my GoPhone number out to another carrier.  What is the account number I should use?"   Also, confirm which PIN to use -- it should be the PIN you would enter on the website to view your remaining airtime/minutes, etc.

ChrisDad

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2015, 06:48:22 pm »

How much does it end up costing with AT&T or T-Mobile? Do you have to prepay for a month?
SteveInWA

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2015, 05:13:39 pm »

Do your own research.  Yes, you have to put some money on the prepaid phone account, to be able to receive at least one verification phone call.  T-Mobile used to include some token amount with their SIM; GoPhone doesn't.  No telephone number can be ported unless it has working service, so you do need to activate the cell phone with the SIM in it.

jumbovideo

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2015, 07:41:35 pm »

So I have followed every step in the post from SteveInWA in regards to setting up GV in Obi. Unfortunately for this one step that I'm stuck on because when I revert back to the old chat in gmail to make one call, it wouldn't let me and would prompt this message saying "To make or receive phone calls in this browser, please enable Hangouts."

I do have my own GV number and I want to be able to make outbound calls and receive inbound calls via Obi200. Is there a way around this step or would I just have to make the call in Hangouts instead?
SteveInWA

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2015, 07:47:05 pm »

Using a computer's web browser, not on a mobile phone or tablet, look here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

In the column labeled "Forwards calls to:", do you already have Google Chat listed, or not?

jumbovideo

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2015, 07:56:43 pm »

Using a computer's web browser, not on a mobile phone or tablet, look here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

In the column labeled "Forwards calls to:", do you already have Google Chat listed, or not?

Yup, I have google chat checked.

I also just noticed that there's a red x mark on the telephone icon from the old google chat. Could it be that something else is preventing me from making a call from the old chat?
SteveInWA

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2015, 08:50:08 pm »

Sorry, but I don't follow you.  So that we don't clog up this already-long discussion thread with your unique problem, would you please start your own new thread?  If you can attach some screenshots, blacking out your private info (email and phone numbers), that would be helpful.  Thanks.

shastastan

« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2016, 12:08:35 pm »

Thanks.  I got it up easier than I thought after reading that post. After deleting the old device,  I just clicked on the button that said configure Google Voice and all seems to be working fine including incoming and outgoing calls.  I did sign up for the Anveo E911 since it was so handy on the screen.  I need to find the firmware update though.
BobTeatow

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2016, 09:22:40 am »

My wife and  I've been happily using our OBI100 and OB110 with google voice for several years.
Yesterday they stopped working....
Signed in to Obitalk and re-did the Google authentication and all seemed well....

TODAY... NADA!  Google Authentication doesn't work.
I get this message:

Please Note:
This OBi device's annual support entitlement has expired. An important software update with enhanced security and ease of use features is required to maintain Google Voice service on this OBi device. To automatically upgrade this device using the OBiTALK portal as well as get access to Obihaiís Premium Support help desk, a paid support plan is required. To purchase 1-year of Obihai Premium Support, use the button found in the Support and Warranty tab. When device's support status is Active, the software update can continue by selecting the update triangle adjacent to the device, in the OBiTALK dashboard.

When I go to load the "latest" firmware, I see it is 1.3.0-2872 and my device was already at that level.

Am I now being "held up" for $10? Is that going to be every year? OR WHAT?

HELP!!  Please...
BobTeatow

« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2016, 10:26:17 am »

OKAY.  I bought the $10 service for my wife's OBI and updated.
Then I peeked into the configuration information and found it had been updated to #2886....

Even though both devices are on the same OBITALK account and signin, my OBI was not eligible...
Another $10.... ? !! WTF...

Searching OBIHAI 2886 via google.... AHA ... A free download to my PC and upload to my OBI and voila back in business.  Thanks OBI....  Please update your firmware page on this forum!
SteveInWA

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2016, 05:18:32 pm »

OKAY.  I bought the $10 service for my wife's OBI and updated.
Then I peeked into the configuration information and found it had been updated to #2886....

Even though both devices are on the same OBITALK account and signin, my OBI was not eligible...
Another $10.... ? !! WTF...

Searching OBIHAI 2886 via google.... AHA ... A free download to my PC and upload to my OBI and voila back in business.  Thanks OBI....  Please update your firmware page on this forum!

For the love of all things tech, stop spamming the forum with this incessant whining.  All you had to do was to read one of the dozens of discussions on this topic yesterday to find the answer.

Here, I've called you an Uber...

* Wambulance.jpg (138.61 KB, 385x402 - viewed 571 times.)

BobTeatow

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2016, 08:34:25 pm »

Yes, I did a bit of whining.  But why didn't Obihai update the "here's the latest firmware" page?

Why didn't they email me and everyone else a warning weeks ago?

Why didn't they mention the free download alternative in the popup instead of seemingly extorting $10, as if there was no alternative?

When a (phone) system you've come to depend on stops working without warning, it's human nature to whine a bit...

How'd you like it if you put the key in your car one morning, you're already a few minutes behind schedule, your wife and kids need a ride and you have to get to work ...
and you got a popup on the dashboard, asking you for your credit card number -- It will be $XX to start that car that you thought you already paid for?
Stue

« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2016, 05:12:12 pm »

A gentle reply to a mean post by Steve. I'm sure many others fell to the $10 "trick" Obi used to get their phone working again. That there is ever a need for a security update is not clearly stated by Obi and that you can do that manually (with or without support) is not clearly stated, either. The whole business of where to find the update is another unfortunate matter. It is only common sense to have the latest update clearly an obviously posted. It is not.
SteveInWA

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2016, 05:20:57 pm »

A gentle reply to a mean post by Steve. I'm sure many others fell to the $10 "trick" Obi used to get their phone working again. That there is ever a need for a security update is not clearly stated by Obi and that you can do that manually (with or without support) is not clearly stated, either. The whole business of where to find the update is another unfortunate matter. It is only common sense to have the latest update clearly an obviously posted. It is not.

Well, I don't work for Obihai,  But, simply searching the forum for a couple of minutes will find the answer, which has now been posted countless times:

• Go to the Obihai firmware download page:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0
  • Select the firmware for OBi100 and OBi110 devices, which will download and save it to your computer.  Note the folder or directory you used for the download.
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.
  • Watch the OBi's LEDs and wait for the device to successfully reboot, before continuing.
  • You may need to re-authorize your device to use your Google account after this procedure.  To do that, first, be sure that you are logged into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number.  Then, open another web browser tab, and log into to the OBiTALK dashboard, click on your device, then click on the Service Provider (SP1 or SP2) that is using Google Voice.  Click "Accept" at the prompt.  On the window that will open, click the link to "Replace Google account credentials" and follow the instructions.

If your device still doesn't work after this procedure, I recommend following my complete set of instructions, on the first page of this discussion topic:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:47:32 pm by SteveInWA » Logged

SteveInWA

« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2016, 01:37:19 pm »

Note that, effective today, 6/21/2016, the default firmware download link for OBi 1xx devices will download the correct firmware version to resolve this problem.  The wording on that page will be updated shortly to reflect the new version number and date.

Mango

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »

It's unfortunate that they have chosen to do this after most people have already solved their problem.  Better late than never I suppose.

I see that OBi-latest.fw has indeed been updated.  However, OBi2-latest.fw is still Build 5110.  Perhaps you could ask your sources to fix that one too.

SteveInWA

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2016, 02:19:36 pm »

I see that OBi-latest.fw has indeed been updated.  However, OBi2-latest.fw is still Build 5110.  Perhaps you could ask your sources to fix that one too.

Done, just now.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: