December 11, 2017, 11:12:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Voice and Obihai Update - 11 Sept. 2014 -  (Read 1060013 times)
rousseau1

oldskool Geek

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 10:49:37 pm »

Could I get the steps involved in setting this up correctly?

This has been posted several other places already, but admittedly, the forum is hard to search or to navigate to the posts.  So, here is a more-complete set of directions:

• If you don't have any other service providers already configured on your OBi box, the cleanest thing to do is to log onto the OBiTALK portal, and delete your OBi device off of your account.  Then, factory reset the device, and add it back again.
  • Otherwise, if you already have some other (SIP) SPs you wish to keep, and/or some custom settings, then log onto the OBiTALK portal and just delete the Google Voice SP(s) you had previously configured.
  • Open another tab in the same browser (CTRL-T).  Log onto your Google Voice account here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones
  • Verify that you see the exact two words "Your number" on the left side of the page, not "Access Number" or "Get a number", which would indicate that you don't have your own GV number.
  • Verify that you have a legitimate, working forwarding phone number on the list, that can receive calls forwarded to your GV number.  This is required by the Google Voice Terms of Service, even if you seldom use it.  Accounts without such a number are subject to having their GV numbers reclaimed by Google.
  • Remain logged into your GV account on its tab.  Go back to your OBiTALK portal page in the other browser tab.
  • Add GV as a service provider.  If necessary, your device will perform a firmware update to pick up the GV code.  Let it go through the process of popping up the OAUTH authentication window, where it will ask you if it's ok for Obihai to have offline access to your account.  Click through the process and wait while the spinner shows that it is configuring your device.
  • Set up 911 service as appropriate.
  • Enjoy!
Steve, could I configure my OBI and GV using the IE browser, I ask this because I have multiple Google profiles and want to keep this account separated (for security and simplistic sake). your thoughts would be most appreciative, thanks Jason.

OBI 110
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:39 pm »

It doesn't matter which browser you use - Firefox, Safari, IE or Chrome.  What matters is that you follow the steps outlined, and that you are sure that you are logged into the correct Google/GV/Gmail account that holds your GV number.  That's why I added the step to actually look at your GV account while logged in, to verify that it's the right one with "Your number" displayed.

Wilbour

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 05:53:34 am »

I will wait a few days till the dust settles.  I have continued to use my Obihai but with Voip.ms.  looks like I am out a couple of bucks but that's it.   Never give out my new number just had GV forward to Voip.ms.  Now I'm going back to GV only and no one will notice except me.
Sorry to hear thst so many people abandoned the obihai completely. Normally that would be me and I would be ranting right now
Were people able to use their obihai after May as it was up until now anyways?
nlurker

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 10:20:57 am »

The OBi phone will ring if the userís Google Voice number is called or if the userís Google ID is called via Hangouts or Gmail.

OK, let me ask this again.  Can anyone who has upgraded to the new firmware confirm that calls to your Google ID do or do not ring the OBi now?  This has never worked before.
MarkObihai

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 10:49:41 am »

Note: Off topic comments in this thread have been moved here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8575.0

Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)
tonycpsu

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 01:08:15 pm »

I don't see any explicit mention of older devices in the press release.  Can someone confirm that OBI is supporting older Obi1xx series devices with GV from now on?  I switched to PhonePower (and prepaid for a year, sadly) but would rather switch back to the simplicity of GV if I have some assurance that it will work for a while.
K.C.L

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 01:42:31 pm »

Were people able to use their obihai after May as it was up until now anyways?

I don't see any explicit mention of older devices in the press release.  Can someone confirm that OBI is supporting older Obi1xx series devices with GV from now on?  I switched to PhonePower (and prepaid for a year, sadly) but would rather switch back to the simplicity of GV if I have some assurance that it will work for a while.

As I mentioned in the previous post that I have been continuing to use Obi100+GV since the supposed expriration date of 5/15.  I never have to make any change.  So I don't see why it cannot be switched back.
When I received email, I was too thinking it might be some real old email accidentally sent out again.

When I found the GV was still working after 5/15, I basically just adopted wait-and-see approach instead of jumping ship right away. But I always thought eventually it will end.  I am so glad that I can now feel free to continue the combo of Obi100 + GV.
tonycpsu

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 01:45:50 pm »

As I mentioned in the previous post that I have been continuing to use Obi100+GV since the supposed expriration date of 5/15.  I never have to make any change.  So I don't see why it cannot be switched back.

Yeah, I know it didn't stop working, I just wanted to know if it's reasonably safe to drop my SIP provider when it's time to renew it -- i.e. if Obihai is saying "yes we'll continue to support it on older devices."  The lack of anything about them in the press release concerns me greatly.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:54:03 pm by tonycpsu » Logged
RFC3261

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 05:38:05 pm »

Yeah, I know it didn't stop working, I just wanted to know if it's reasonably safe to drop my SIP provider when it's time to renew it -- i.e. if Obihai is saying "yes we'll continue to support it on older devices."  The lack of anything about them in the press release concerns me greatly.

There are no guarantees in life (well, other than death, and taxes).  At some point Google could change direction (again), or Obihai could go out of business, or .....  And then again, those things could happen to your current provider too.  But if GV does what you want, the way you want it, I think you can be reasonably comfortable staying with them.
SteveInWA

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 07:11:43 pm »

There are no guarantees in life (well, other than death, and taxes).  At some point Google could change direction (again), or Obihai could go out of business, or .....  And then again, those things could happen to your current provider too.  But if GV does what you want, the way you want it, I think you can be reasonably comfortable staying with them.

+1

ceg3

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 09:36:40 pm »

Jeeeez.  If Obihai and Google gave you a gigantic 24-carat gold plated toilet, would you instead shit on their doorsteps?  Read the posts in the rest of the forum today.  This is a GOOD THING, you whiners.

I agree.  I ported my GV number to Vestalink in January and got a new GV number for a backup SP and yet I was still thrilled that Google graciously worked this out with Obihai.  On top of the good news I was very happy to upgrade my three year old OBi100 to a 200 for only 29.99.  Stuff happens and in this case alls well that ends well.  I couldn't believe my eyes on the 11th when I opened my daily email from Newegg to find the 200 at a can't turn it down price.
Crow550

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 03:14:16 am »

As I mentioned in the previous post that I have been continuing to use Obi100+GV since the supposed expriration date of 5/15.  I never have to make any change.  So I don't see why it cannot be switched back.

People need to remember that the old way was never supported by Google. This was a hack.

Obihai, GrooveIP and Talkatone all used this hack. The way in which this was being done was proven to be insecure and dangerous so Google told these companies to cease this.

Now Google knew many who love Google Voice and depend on it for VOIP. So now Google has officially supported 3rd Party programs and devices like the Obihai devices and made the connection with these services more secure. Also adding in VOIP for iOS and Android devices too.

So now Google is supporting this. Just enjoy it without worry. Sure this and that could happen but until something does happen then don't worry about the possibility.

However if you are too worked up over this then use another provider and live life not thinking of the negatives all the time.
rocketben

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 07:52:10 pm »

• Verify that you have a legitimate, working forwarding phone number on the list, that can receive calls forwarded to your GV number.  This is required by the Google Voice Terms of Service, even if you seldom use it.  Accounts without such a number are subject to having their GV numbers reclaimed by Google.

I was a little worried, as I have a forwarding number, but don't have it enabled (checked), and your statement wasn't clear about if it needed to be. I tried looking for that requirement in the terms of service, but this is all I could find:

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/program-policies.html
"Google may reclaim your Google Voice number (if you have one) if you have not placed or received calls, sent or received text messages for a period of 9 months. We will not reclaim numbers that have been ported in to Google Voice or made permanent. "
SteveInWA

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 08:03:14 pm »

• Verify that you have a legitimate, working forwarding phone number on the list, that can receive calls forwarded to your GV number.  This is required by the Google Voice Terms of Service, even if you seldom use it.  Accounts without such a number are subject to having their GV numbers reclaimed by Google.

I was a little worried, as I have a forwarding number, but don't have it enabled (checked), and your statement wasn't clear about if it needed to be. I tried looking for that requirement in the terms of service, but this is all I could find:

"Google may reclaim your Google Voice number (if you have one) if you have not placed or received calls, sent or received text messages for a period of 9 months. We will not reclaim numbers that have been ported in to Google Voice or made permanent. "

Yes, that's the relevant paragraph.  At least periodically, enable the forwarding phone and answer a call on it from time to time to avoid the reclamation issue.

It's theoretically possible to get your GV number back after it has been reclaimed by Google, but in practice, the procedure is flaky and often fails.  So, don't risk losing your number.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:05:03 pm by SteveInWA » Logged

Ernestine

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 02:27:28 am »

Cheesy

I had a problem with Anveo going straight to voicemail. Now I may be able to ignore it.

I went into Google Voice and stopped it from forwarding to Anveo. Now there is only one voicemail service.

I can still call out and caller id still shows the GV number (so far).

Final question: Does the E911 service still work?
rocketben

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 04:40:22 am »

Yes, that's the relevant paragraph.  At least periodically, enable the forwarding phone and answer a call on it from time to time to avoid the reclamation issue.

It's theoretically possible to get your GV number back after it has been reclaimed by Google, but in practice, the procedure is flaky and often fails.  So, don't risk losing your number.

Except the paragraph says nothing about forwarding. It's only saying that you have to use google voice to make or receive calls, not a forwarding phone. In any case, I ported my number in, so I'm doubly safe according to their statement.
aopisa

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 06:24:16 am »

Cheesy

I had a problem with Anveo going straight to voicemail. Now I may be able to ignore it.

I went into Google Voice and stopped it from forwarding to Anveo. Now there is only one voicemail service.

I can still call out and caller id still shows the GV number (so far).

Final question: Does the E911 service still work?

I believe if you dial 933 the system will tell you you if E911 is active and it will read back the number that the emergency service operator sees on their screen. Just make sure you have the correct home address registered.
fastoy

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 07:42:14 pm »

The OBi phone will ring if the userís Google Voice number is called or if the userís Google ID is called via Hangouts or Gmail.

OK, let me ask this again.  Can anyone who has upgraded to the new firmware confirm that calls to your Google ID do or do not ring the OBi now?  This has never worked before.
I had deleted the information from SP1 on my OBi100 where I had had Google Voice. When I went back to OBiTALK to reactivate Google Voice on SP1 I was prompted to update my firmware. I concurred and it took a minute or two and went fine.

Then I just clicked on the big Google Voice button and presto it was active. I made SP1 the default outbound line and left the Vestalink SIP on SP2 for the time being. I have the $40 annual plan from Vestalink and will reexamine that when my annual contract is up.

It works just like it did before the big scare, that is perfectly.
SteveInWA

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 08:05:50 pm »

I had deleted the information from SP1 on my OBi100 where I had had Google Voice. When I went back to OBiTALK to reactivate Google Voice on SP1 I was prompted to update my firmware. I concurred and it took a minute or two and went fine.

Then I just clicked on the big Google Voice button and presto it was active. I made SP1 the default outbound line and left the Vestalink SIP on SP2 for the time being. I have the $40 annual plan from Vestalink and will reexamine that when my annual contract is up.

It works just like it did before the big scare, that is perfectly.

I am not sure who asked this question in that nested set of quotes ("OK, let me ask this again.  Can anyone who has upgraded to the new firmware confirm that calls to your Google ID do or do not ring the OBi now?  This has never worked before.")

The answer is:  yes.  Follow the directions to update your device's firmware and replace your GV service provider credentials.  Then, when someone calls your GV telephone number (regardless of whether they do it on a telephone or by using the Hangouts client on a computer or mobile phone/tablet), your OBi-attached phone (or OBi 1032 IP phone) will ring, AND any Hangouts clients you are logged into will ring, too.  This does still need the old Google Chat forwarding pseudo-phone present in GV settings on the Phones tab, and there needs to be a check in the box.

nlurker

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »

I am not sure who asked this question in that nested set of quotes ("OK, let me ask this again.  Can anyone who has upgraded to the new firmware confirm that calls to your Google ID do or do not ring the OBi now?  This has never worked before.")

The answer is:  yes.  Follow the directions to update your device's firmware and replace your GV service provider credentials.  Then, when someone calls your GV telephone number (regardless of whether they do it on a telephone or by using the Hangouts client on a computer or mobile phone/tablet), your OBi-attached phone (or OBi 1032 IP phone) will ring, AND any Hangouts clients you are logged into will ring, too.  This does still need the old Google Chat forwarding pseudo-phone present in GV settings on the Phones tab, and there needs to be a check in the box.

It was I who asked the question, and I think you misunderstood it.  I am not asking about calling my GV telephone number.  That has always worked.  I am asking about calling my GOOGLE ID.  This has never worked before, and the press release claims that it now will work.  I may go ahead and risk the firmware upgrade if someone can confirm that this does indeed work now, I have always wished it would work.  Calls to my Google ID ring in Hangouts but do not ring my Obi.  Calls to my GV number ring both Hangouts and Obi.  I want to know if calls to my Google ID will ring both with the new firmware.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: