News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to Return to GV

Started by dial.tone, September 11, 2014, 05:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dial.tone

Back in April 2014, I changed my Obi202 from its GV/SimonTelephony configuration to a Callcentric-in/Circlenet-out configuration in preparation for Google's abandonment of GV.  Then in May 2014, when it was clear that GV would continue working past the 15th end-of-support date, I tried to undo all the changes I had had to make to my Obi settings (via the web portal) to make the Callcentric/Circlenet configuration work.  My intent was to return to my original GV/ST setup, but it didn't work.  I got the "Not Configured" status, and I haven't tried again since then.  However, with the latest news that GV is now officially supported by Obi, I'd like to try to recreate my old setup.  So here is the question: considering all the changes I had to make to my Obi's settings to make Callcentric/Circlenet setup work, is there some way for me to do a hard reset to return my Obi to its original factory settings so I can start fresh in setting up the GV/ST configuration?  Are there any pitfalls to be aware of in doing a factory hard reset?  Are there any other recommendations on how best to return to GV/ST -- IOW, is there a better way?

cluckercreek

I don't have it handy but if you still have your quick start guide the hard reset instructions are on there. I would think it would be like the Obi1xx's and you use a paper clip on the bottom of the unit. You unplug the unit, insert the paper clip in the proper hole, press the internal button, plug up the unit and hold for approximately 30 seconds.  Watch the power LED and it should go through a pattern till it turns red without flashing. Release the button and it should be reset to factory settings.

ism_can

From the manual.

Reset Configuration to Factory Default
The OBi device may be reset to factory default condition. Call history and various statistical information will be removed at
the same time. Resetting the device configuration should be used with extreme caution as the operation cannot be
undone. To do this you press the "Reset" button in the Reset Configuration section. A confirmation window will pop up. The
OBi device then proceeds to reset the configuration once you confirm that this is indeed what you want to do. The OBi
device will reboot automatically when factory reset is completed.
For the OBi202, there are three factory reset options: reset just the voice settings, reset just the router settings, and reset
all settings. There is a different IVR option for invoking each factory reset option. By default, the hardware reset button
located via an opening on the underside of the OBi202 will reset all settings. Via software configuration, it can be
configured to reset just the voice or just the router settings.

If you have access to Obi202 web interface there there is an option there to reset to factory settings. You can reset only voice setting or everything including the network configuration.

The same options can be accessed through the IVR from a phone connected to your Obi.
***8 will do a full reset.
***081# will reset your Voice Settings
***082# will reset your Network settings

You might want to try resetting the Voice Settings first and see if it works after before going the whole length of a hard reset.

If you still want to do a hard reset using the Reset button: with the power connected press and hold the button for at least a full 10 - 15 seconds. Once you press and hold the reset button long enough, the power LED will start to blink green when the restore process begins. Then, a few seconds later, the power LED will turn Red for about 5 seconds and begin to restart/reboot.

dial.tone

The setup processes for both CallCentric and CircleNet are pretty extensive (IMHO); has anybody else gone back to GV after having configured their Obi202 for CC and/or CN?  Did it require a full factory reset or were you able to successfully back-out of the changes you had to make for CC/CN to work? 

SteveInWA

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

You can delete just the Google Voice service provider slot(s) you have configured, and then let the portal set them up again, using the new authentication protocol.  If that won't work, you may have to do a factory reset (so far, the reset has only been necessary on some OBi 1xx units, not the 2xx).

dial.tone

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 15, 2014, 11:59:32 AM

You can delete just the Google Voice service provider slot(s) you have configured, and then let the portal set them up again, using the new authentication protocol.  If that won't work, you may have to do a factory reset (so far, the reset has only been necessary on some OBi 1xx units, not the 2xx).

Thanks, SteveInWA, that link to your other posting was invaluable.  I would never have thought to have my GV account/page open in another tab while going through the setup in the Obitalk portal.  Other than a couple of points which I'll identify below, I did exactly as your post said and the transition from CN/CC back to GV was fairly painless.  Here are the only points at which I departed from your instructions:  Since the CallCentric setup calls for disabling ITSP and OBITALK provisioning, I went back into the web portal (via 192.168.x.x) and reset those values to the default.  I don't know if that step was necessary, but it seemed reasonable to me.  Then I rebooted, also via the web portal.  Then, after deleting my device and attempting to re-add it back into the Obitalk portal (which initiated the authentication protocol you mentioned -- a procedure that requires you to dial a number starting with **), my device was not recognized until I unplugged the power cord, waited a minute, and plugged it back in, thus allowing it to reboot that way.  The rest of the process was like falling off a log.  Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: dial.tone on September 16, 2014, 02:37:11 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on September 15, 2014, 11:59:32 AM

Thanks, SteveInWA, that link to your other posting was invaluable.  I would never have thought to have my GV account/page open in another tab while going through the setup in the Obitalk portal.  Other than a couple of points which I'll identify below, I did exactly as your post said and the transition from CN/CC back to GV was fairly painless.  Here are the only points at which I departed from your instructions:  Since the CallCentric setup calls for disabling ITSP and OBITALK provisioning, I went back into the web portal (via 192.168.x.x) and reset those values to the default.  I don't know if that step was necessary, but it seemed reasonable to me.  Then I rebooted, also via the web portal.  Then, after deleting my device and attempting to re-add it back into the Obitalk portal (which initiated the authentication protocol you mentioned -- a procedure that requires you to dial a number starting with **), my device was not recognized until I unplugged the power cord, waited a minute, and plugged it back in, thus allowing it to reboot that way.  The rest of the process was like falling off a log.  Thanks.

My pleasure.

I'm not clear what you mean by the text I highlighted in red, though.  You can provision Callcentric via the OBiTALK web portal.  Click the SPx port you want to configure, then, on the page that pops up, promoting GV and the other "approved service providers", scroll down to the "OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers" section, and click the "Next" button.  Then, select Callcentric (or whatever other ITSP people use), from that list.  OBiTALK will set up the SP slot you have chosen, with the appropriate defaults for that ITSP.

See my screenshot.

dial.tone

Any words of wisdom out there on how to get a fax machine to work with the Obi202/GV combo?  I found some threads, mostly related to making Callentric work with a fax, and followed what I could, but no success.  I disabled T.38 and T.38 Redundancy and all the Codecs other than G711U and G711A.  One thread recommended reducing the baud rate to 9600 or less, but I couldn't find any way to do that.  I had the fax machine working with my Obi202/GV combo before the great May head-fake, but I have no idea how I did it.  Anybody?

SteveInWA

Quote from: dial.tone on September 16, 2014, 06:31:02 PM
Any words of wisdom out there on how to get a fax machine to work with the Obi202/GV combo?  I found some threads, mostly related to making Callentric work with a fax, and followed what I could, but no success.  I disabled T.38 and T.38 Redundancy and all the Codecs other than G711U and G711A.  One thread recommended reducing the baud rate to 9600 or less, but I couldn't find any way to do that.  I had the fax machine working with my Obi202/GV combo before the great May head-fake, but I have no idea how I did it.  Anybody?

The most likely solution is, as you mentioned, modifying the fax machine's settings.  You need to find the setting to reduce the maximum-allowed speed to 9600bps, and turn OFF error correction.  The fax modem protocol and compression used above 9600 just doesn't work well at all over VoIP.  The extra bits exchanged for EC mode tend to cause transmission failures (it's less forgiving than just ignoring the errors).