News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

UPDATE FAILED/INTERUPTED now obi support says i need to buy a new one.

Started by rreider2, September 11, 2014, 11:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rreider2

got a dreaded auto update today and i am now screwed.  flashing red/green light.
tried all suggestions to no avail
emailed support and they told me i broke it and i should buy a newer model anyway.  they asked no questions about what happened, no info about the problems with the upgrade just a quick its out of warranty, drop dead. CURIOUS THEY CAN TELL ITS BROKEN WHEN IT'S OFFLINE.

obviously a bot as i see this reply was received by everyone else that had a failed firmware upgrade.  we should band together and not take this bs. 

THE FACT IS OBI IF YOU ARE LISTENING, THAT THIS DEVICE WAS FUNCTIONING PERFECTLY BEFORE THE FIRMWARE UPDATE.  THE UPDATE STALLED. MY DEVICE NEEDS TO BE FLASHED WITH PROPER FIRMWARE AND IT WILL FUNCTION.
HOW THE HECK WOULD FLASHING FIRMWARE DAMAGE THE INTERNAL COMPONENTS OF THE DEVICE?
pretty sub par product if it cant handle router signals.

I will be sharing any replies/explanations and update product reviews on the major sites.  oh, and wikki

ProfTech

Try a paper clip reset. If that works then delete your device from the portal and re-add it. You will need your password info.

Boykin

If you can get into the onboard webserver, after a reset, I would manually download the firmware and try to manually update the device. 

rreider2

Thanks folks, I tried manually flashing firmware, in every version I could find. Tried 3 routers and pc direct to no avail.
Also, I would love to try to reset the unit with a paper clip, however this unit does not have a reset slot, anywhere. I've looked and tried every possibility.   Is it hiding under the mac address label?   I think mine is sans slot.  And I sol.

Any suggestions on where else the reset button could be?  I thinking there is packet loss through the router hence failure.
I can access the web portal to flash firmware only.  I deleted my device on obitalk already.

Thanks for all the help.

gderf

Are you sure you are looking at the device closely enough? On mine, the reset hole is unlabeled, but is obviously distinct from the other 30+ holes on the bottom - it's surrounded by a raised circular shaped area.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

rreider2

Yeah, all the holes appear to be just vent holes. No raised edges. Im gonna poke each of these just in case.  Were all the 110's built with a reset?  I hate to be so useless but a photo or a vivid description is needed.

Thanks for taking the time.

rreider2

Found reset.  Im old.  Didn't help though.   Didn't seem to do anything. No light response. Held reset down 1 min unplugged then 1. In unplugged, then reversed order etc

Mango

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8531.0

This user reported that he was able to fix his device, but when he re-added it to OBiTALK it bricked permanently.  If I were you, I would follow the directions, but not add the device to OBiTALK and instead configure it manually.

mykmayk

with all these horror stories about firmware upgrades/updates gone bad, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that i never need an update.  my 3 obi's are fine as they are and hopefully, a firmware would not be pushed to any of them.  i have to admit that i have upgraded my obi100 to the latest firmware for google voice.  i'm leaving my 2 obi110 alone.
əʞɪɯ mɪke