News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi100 toasted after failed firmware update? Power light flashing red and green

Started by amsguy, September 12, 2014, 12:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amsguy

Hi,

I was attempting to do a firmware update from obitalk portal because there's the yellow triangle suggesting that I do it. Well the firmware update failed, and now my obi100 is not working. There is no more dial tone, and the power light is flashing red and green. Pressing reset key does not seem to do any good (no matter how long I press it, I did read else where in this forum that I need to hold it for up to 60 seconds). Other forum posts also suggested that the power DC adapter has failed. Did my firmware update cause the power adapter to fail? Was the voltage required to re-write the firmware cause the adapter to burn?

Well, my device is out of warranty, but I feel I am cheated because Obi suggested I update the firmware if I want to make use of the new Google Voice feature.

Is there anything else I can try besides reset and buying a new power adapter?

Best regards,

Mango

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8531.0

This user reported that he was able to fix his device, but when he re-added it to OBiTALK it bricked permanently.  If I were you, I would follow the directions, but not add the device to OBiTALK and instead configure it manually.

amsguy

When I try to access ob100 from its IP address, I only get a firmware update page. I tried loading the latest firmware, I can see a status on the web browser that the file getting uploaded, but immediately after completing upload, it tells me "Firmware Update Failed", with further information saying "Please verify the firmware and try again".

Well I tried again and again, using different browsers to download in case the download was corrupting the file. I tried different firmware files I can find from dslreport and every single one gave an error.

I guess I have a "brick" now. I'm really angry because I merely did an upgrade because ObiTalk had the big yellow triangle telling to upgrade. I didn't care to do it in the first place. Is Obihai going to honor this product? I know it's out of warranty, but I didn't break it, they did!

Mango

Please try the following and let me know if it works.

Download the following firmwares:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-1-3-0-2853.fw

Disconnect your router from the internet so that you cannot browse to most websites, but you can access the OBi.

Disconnect power from the OBi.

Use a paper clip to press and hold the reset button on the bottom of the OBi.

Plug the OBi back in and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.

Attempt to load firmware build 2824.  If the firmware load is not successful, try again a couple more times. There have been reports of this requiring multiple tries.

If you are still not successful, try to load build 2853 a couple of times.

If at any point you are able to access the OBi's configuration, set the following:

System Management >> Auto Provisioning:
Auto Firmware Update >> Method: Disabled
ITSP Provisioning >> Method: Disabled
OBiTalk Provisioning >> Method: Disabled

Voice Services >> OBiTALK Service:
Enable: (Unchecked)

Reboot the OBi.  Then confirm that the settings are applied and the OBi still appears to function normallly.

Reconnect your router to the internet and reconfigure your OBi without OBiTALK.

Let me know how things go.

amsguy

Mango,

You've allowed me to make momentary progress, but now it's kinda back to where I was before I tried your technique.

I do regret not following the one step of disconnecting my router from WAN, and maybe that's why the rest of the process failed.

Here's what I did:

1. Used a different 12V DC adapter and I managed to reset obi100
2. Tried to apply 2824, failed to update instantly after upload
3. Tried to apply 2853, updated SUCCESSFULLY!
4. The System Management Screen actually showed up.
5. I made the changes to provisioning to disable the 2nd provisioning. I had to click "save" or something like that to save that page (maybe that's the problem too, I didn't try to switch to the other page for Voice setting.
6. Right after saving, obi100 is back to blinking red and green ...
7. I have not been successful in getting back the System Management screen any more. I do continue to be able to update the firmware to 2853, and I did that a few times ...

And now here I am again ...

You gave me some hope that the little gadget is still alive. What is 2853? Did you hex-edit the firmware file to trick the machine to take the update? I'm willing to update that to an even higher number to try!

By the way, I got the standard reply from ObiHai in response to my ticket. I fail to see why I need to fork out money to but a new device if their mandated update, using their power supply, failed and bricked my obi100.

Mango

Quote from: amsguy on September 15, 2014, 10:56:14 AMI do continue to be able to update the firmware to 2853, and I did that a few times ...

Ok.  If you factory reset (with the button) before installing it, and remain disconnected from the WAN, what happens after a successful install of 2853?

amsguy

Thank you for continuing to help Mango.

1. At this time, after each factory reset, the light basically still blinks red and green. That one time that was successful, the reset actually brought obi100 to a solid green power light. I donno what I did differently other than using another 12V adapter I found at home. I've been using that same adapter since that first success.

2. And after each successful install of 2853, the light will alternate red/green after the automatic reboot.

Best regards,

guyjarvis

Was there any solution to this problem. Similar sounding issue, came in Monday morning to find obi110 flashing red and in the firmware loop. Having tried the same steps and have the same result wondering what to try next?

Cheers

amsguy

Hi guyjarvis,

I gave up and bought another obi200 since it went on sale. I just figured my time is worth more than $30 trying to fix this. I don't like it since it's not my fault, but life goes on ..