News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Phone Setup Tutorial

Started by MarkObihai, September 12, 2014, 06:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkObihai

This tutorial will help you get setup with your OBi Phone and customise it to your preference.  It is recommended for people of intermediate technical capability and above.

This configuration tutorial is not supported via Obihai support - please post any questions you may have within this thread.  This tutorial will be updated as needed to reflect changes in the firmware or on the OBiTALK portal.

This tutorial requires a "fresh" IP Phone - if your phone is already configured you will need to factory reset it and delete it from the OBiTALK portal.

This tutorial uses a hybrid configuration approach - that is some elements will be configured via the local UI and others via the OBiTALK portal.

1. Firmware update and factory reset

Dial *** then 6 to check if a firmware update is available.  If a firmware update is available press 1 to download it and hang up.  The firmware file will then download (a downloading icon will show on the top status bar) and the phone will update and restart.

After the phone has restarted, select the "Settings" app and press the "Factory Reset" soft key. This ensures we are dealing with a 100% fresh device.
Note, on phones with the language set to English-UK, the "Settings" app is called the "Configuration" app.  

Please ensure you have also deleted the device from OBiTALK - click on the device name in the OBi Dashboard and look for the blue Delete Device button.

2. Initial configuration via XML (If required)

By default, the OBi Phone ships pre-configured for North America.  To implement country-specific tone sounds, ringing profiles and digitmaps, we can upload an xml profile to the OBi. The xml profiles attached below this post also allow dialling of numbers using the + sign then country code - for example +44 20 7890 1234.  It also adds the ob prefix consistently across OBiTALK calls, so when you redial an OBiTALK number from the call history it will direct itself rather than you having to direct it via the OBiTALK call key.  
Note: Your service provider needs to support dialling in the international (+xxxxx) format for this to work.

• If you are in North America and want to be able to dial numbers in the + format plus support ob prefixing, download the NA digit extension file below.
  • If you are outside North America, you will need to apply the appropriate localisation file for your country. Localisation files for Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom are attached to this post. (Ireland, France, Netherlands, Germany and Norway to follow next).

Extract the xml file from the attached zip file and save it on your computer.

Now we need to update the phone with the saved XML file.  Find your phone's local IP address by going to the Settings/Configuration app.  The first item listed is network and it will show the current IP.  Enter this IP address into your web browser and enter the default username and password - admin - for both.

Navigate to System Management -> Device Update then under Restore Configuration click Choose File and choose your saved xml file, then Restore to apply the localisation profile.

Your OBi will now restart and the profile will be applied.

3. Add your device to OBiTALK

If you haven't already done so, create an OBiTALK account at www.obitalk.com.  Login to your account and select "Add Device" from the left hand menu.

If you do not have/use Google Voice or wish to setup another voice service first, make sure you uncheck the "I want to configure Google Voice on this device" option

Click add device and dial the star code presented in the portal.  Your device should now add itself to the OBiTALK portal.  
Note, if the portal didn't respond to the star code when you dialled it the first time, then try it again.  This may happen if congestion between your location and the OBiTALK servers causes the request to time out.

4. Add Your Voice Service

Your device is now in the OBiTALK portal:

• If you left "I want to configure Google Voice on this device" selected then you will be prompted to add your GV account to the OBi
  • If you unselected this option you will see the Service Provider options page

If you are at the Service Provider options page, you can setup SIP voice services - either add a brand new account or an existing account.  

If you wish to add a new account select one of the Approved Service providers and follow the instructions to get setup.  If you have previously subscribed to an approved service provider via OBiTALK, then click on the SP you use and re-add the account to your OBi.  This is more relevant for North American users.

If you have an existing SIP account you want to put onto the OBi, scroll down the screen to "OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers" and click next.  On the next page you can either select your service provider (if they are listed) and enter your account credentials, or click "Generic Service Provider" and enter your SIP credentials and service providers SIP server settings.

Now you have added a voice service to the device it will restart and the service will appear beside the first line key on the screen.

5. Pair your Bluetooth Cell Phone and Synchronise Contacts
Optional on the OBi1032 with an OBiBT dongle installed, standard on OBi1062

Open the Settings/Configuration app and select "Bluetooth".
Scroll down to "Discoverable" and select this

On your Cell Phone/Mobile/Handy/Keitai Denwa/GSM/Móvil go to your Bluetooth settings, find your OBi and pair with it.  Your OBi will appear as "OBiPhone xxx" where "xxx" are the last 3 digits of your device's OBi number (printed on the back sticker)

On the Bluetooth Setup screen on your OBi you will now see under the status item that it will be connected to your cell phone.

Now go to the contacts app and press the "More" soft key and use the joystick key to highlight "Import" and press the check/tick button.  You will now see the "Importing Contacts" dialog.  At this point, your cell phone might pop up a notification asking for access permissions - accept these permissions.  

If your phonebook import continually fails, please log a support ticket including your cell phone type, software version and language settings.

Your contacts will have now imported or if your numbers contain the + symbol you will see an alert and some soft key options to either ignore or add the entries.  Add all the entries as we have already uploaded the xml to allow dialling with the + symbol at step 1.

Go to your contacts app and check the numbers are all displaying and you can make a test call to one of your contacts.

6. Add call keys for OBiTALK, Bluetooth and other services

We are not going to use the Wizard in the OBiTALK portal for setting up the call keys in this tutorial.  At this point you need to make a decision on how you want to manage the call keys:

• If you do not wish to create a call key to allow your OBi to make and receive calls via your cell phone's Bluetooth then use OBiExpert
  • If you want to allow your OBi to make and receive calls via your cell phone's Bluetooth then use the Local UI
  • If you use the Local UI do not use OBiExpert to change Line Key settings as it will overwrite the Local UI settings.

Note, the reason for using the Local UI to add a Bluetooth call key is that you can't currently assign this via OBiExpert.  This will be added shortly and I will update this tutorial when it is fixed.

To enter OBiExpert, follow my instructions at the end of this post: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=458.20

Now, from either OBiExpert or the Local UI, Navigate to IP Phone -> Line Keys and assign your line keys.  Line keys are broken into tabs, so as the OBi1032 has 3 keys and 4 tabs there are 12 configurable keys.  You will need to assign a key to "Next Tab" so you can move between the tabs and access the keys you setup.

Some notes on Call Appearance Keys:

• A call appearance key can support a single call, so if you wish to have more than one call at a time on your voice service you'll need to add extra call keys to hold the calls.  This will change in an upcoming software release to support 4 calls per key
  • You can setup an "Unbound" call key to handle calls from any service - just don't select an SP service from the drop down

7. Setup Programmable Keys and Assign Next Tab Key

Enter OBiExpert and navigate to IP Phone -> Programmable Keys.  You can now configure all the programmable keys as you like.  I recommend you make the first programmable key "Next Tab" and assign the rest to other functions you require, like do not disturb, speed dials and so on.

You can create a printed insert for your labels by clicking on your device in the device dashboard and going to the Programable Key Wizard.  Label the keys as you like but Don't Press Save!  Press "Generate Labels" (without saving) and then print your insert that way.  If you hit save you will overwrite your settings.

8. You're ready to go

Your OBi Phone is now ready to use to your liking.  From here you can start to customise the device further, for example find a nice wallpaper that you like and add it to the phone.  There are great wallpapers at http://wallpaperswide.com - make sure you download in 480x272 resolution.  The User Guide explains how to copy wallpapers onto the OBi.

Notes:

• You can now manage your device via the portal, however if you make changes to things that have been configured via the xml file or on the local UI then the portal will always overwrite the setting.
  • If you are adding multiple IP Phones to the same OBiTALK account and want to be able to dial between them without hitting the auto attendant, you will need to go into OBiExpert on each device and change Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service, inbound call route to ph or {(<:ob>xxxxxxxxx):ph},ph to add "ob" to the start of inbound OBiTALK numbers

Optional steps for anyone with a Google account

Even if you don't live in the US, you can still integrate a few of your Google account's features on your OBi phone.  And if you are already a Google Voice user, there are a couple of extra features you can switch on.

If you live outside the US you can setup Google Voice in your Google account for outbound calling and assign a call key to make an outbound call via the OBi.

All Google users can also enable the "Buddy List" app on the OBi's home screen. The Buddy List reflects the presence status of people who are in your Google Chat list.  Buddy List can be enabled within OBiExpert: At Voice Services -> SPx Service* under Network Provided Services enable "Buddy List".  When the device restarts the Buddy List app will show on the home screen below the other apps - use the down arrow to scroll to it.
*SPx Service is the SP service you added Google Voice to

You can also assign a presence monitor key to monitor an individual on your buddy list.  To do this select the "Key" function as "Presence Monitor", the "Service" function as the "SPx service" GV is setup on and in the "number" field enter the email address of the Buddy you wish to monitor.  

You now have the Buddy List app enabled and can assign a dedicated key to monitor an individual's presence.

Note - UK Profile updated 9 October 2014
Note - UK Profile updated 17 November 2014
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

JCCarre

Hey Mark
Thank you for this tutorial.
Do you have the "France" xml already available ?

Thank you

MarkObihai

I've prepared a localisation profile for France, attached to this post. Upload the xml file that is contained within this zip file using the instructions above.

This file is specific to the IP Phone and contains a digit map (ARCEP standard) and French tones.  Note this is a beta xml profile and a final version will be posted once it's been fully tested and support for other OBi devices added.

MarkObihai

While I'm adding regional support - attached is the localisation profile for Ireland

drgeoff

Quote from: Shiblee on January 21, 2015, 06:13:04 AM
OBi 200, SP1 & SP2 are connecting but same configuration not connecting at SP3 & SP4 (Showing>Service Not Configured).

I have reset the device to factory default and reconfigured, still the same. Firmware 3.0.1 (Build: 4477)
1.  You are posting in the wrong place.  This one is for the OBi1032 and 1062 phones, not the Obi ATAs.
Please start a new thread.

2.  When you do start that new thread, please state which providers you are using and which of the three methods (basic Obitalk portal, Expert mode on portal or local web GUI) you are using to configure.

bobbathome

Hello,

I am unable to remove and add my new  device in my Dashboard.  Can someone please let me how to ?  The one that shows is 290 379 197.  I need to replace that with 300 048 598.

Thank you !

bobbathome

Hello,

I am unable to remove and add my new  device in my Dashboard.  Can someone please let me how to ?  The one that shows is 290 379 197.  I need to replace that with 300 048 598.

Thank you !

drgeoff

1.  290 devices are softphones.  300 devices are Obi100 ATAs.  So why are you posting here in a thread about the OBi10xx series IP phones?

2.  It isn't a good idea to post your OBi numbers for all the world to see.

3.  You've posted the same thing twice.

4.  When on your Dashboard, you click on the device a new page opens with several blue buttons containing white text.  One of those is "Delete Device".  Are you doing that?

wolfv

Thanks for posting this tutorial.

What is the "Settings" app?

drgeoff

Quote from: wolfv on April 05, 2015, 02:27:15 PM
What is the "Settings" app?
It is one of the apps on the Home screen of the phone. The name shown onthe screen varies according to whatever language is set on the phone.  For US English it is "Settings".  For UK English it is "Configuration".

hiatus

Can anyone provide a XML for Hong Kong? It should be similar to UK, just we have a 852 area code.

Newbie for OBi and things are a bit confusing, thanks

FlutingFool

I can't get my device to be added to the dashboard or recognized. 

My device cannot make the required phone calls.  I get the error message on the telephone that the IP address is not available, error 00. 

Online, all I see is some instruction to add the device to the router DMZ.  I don't understand what this is, or how to do it.  The configuration screen for my ATT Arris router doesn't mention DMZ.  I have the OBi 202 device connected directed to an ethernet port on the back of the router, the green light is solid, the phone attached has dial tone. 

bukzin

Quote from: bobbathome on February 16, 2015, 11:01:10 AM

Hello,

Thank you !

Is the dashboard found on the ObiTalk page?

Thx

SteveInWA

"Dashboard" and "Portal" are just two more words for the same web page, which is used to configure your OBi products via Obihai's "OBiTALK" network.

This:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev

It's a "Dashboard", because it shows a summary of information of all the OBi devices you may have added.

jeannnnee

N00b here, not sure I'm posting in the right place. Here's a question about what to buy/how to configure.

My current setup:

wi-fi through Cablevision with Cablevision modem and Dlink Router.

Cablevision delivers both broadband and VOiP to my home. All is relatively problem-free.

What I want to do:

i want to keep the current home number and -- for my home office, on the same wireless connection --- add  four, separate lines to call out on obihai.

I want to keep my current Google Voice number forwarded to my mobile, separate from the Obihai.

Four panasonic cordless would be ideal.

I would like the four cordless phones to be useable at the same time.

I would like the outgoing calls to identify the caller as "mybusiness.com" the name of the business -- not the number of the home VoIp number or the number of the Obihai device.

My fallback would be two lines, but ideally I want four.

Primary calling will be from this US home office to other US numbers.

Questions:

1. Which Obihai device? The 1022? or do I need two 202's to each support two phones?

2. Can I use this Vtech setup? or the Panasonic one here?

http://www.amazon.com/VTech-CS6719-2-Waiting-Cordless-Handsets/dp/B00FRSYS12/ref=pd_sim_229_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51OtOirGUlL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1P1CTEDMR5XM0182MD8Z

Panasonic cordless four handsets:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG454SK-Link2Cell-Expandable-Refurbished/dp/B017UY2V4G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450982108&sr=8-5&keywords=panasonic+cordless

3. As mentioned, I already have a Google Voice number for the business, which has been ported to my cellular. I would rather not use that one, but instead  a second number, do i just get one from Google Voice and attach it to the Obihai?

4. For outgoing calls, how do I get mybusiness.com to show up on recipients' caller ID?

5. for Incoming calls, is there a message function on Obihai?

Thank you so much!

drgeoff

Why are noobs so keen so inclined to tag on to (usually inappropriate) existing threads instead of starting a new one?

The 1022 is a self-contained IP phone with corded handset.  It does not support multiple additional handsets.

The Obi 1x0, 20x, and 50x models are designed to add Voip facilities to ordinary analogue phones.  The 100, 110 and 200 have a single phone jack for a phone or cordless base station.  The 202 has two phone jacks.

You say you want all four cordless phones usable at the same time. The Panasonic and Vtech models you link to support one and only one external call.  It may be possible to have 2 or more handsets taking part in that one call.  And it may be possible to have internal calls between all the handsets or between some of the handsets while others are on an external call.  However all that functionality is determined solely by the phones.  The Obi plays no part.

You also need to understand that for calls to POTS endpoints only your Caller ID is sent to the callee's telco.  It is the callee's telco who may perform a lookup on that number to ascertain a Caller Name to forward to the callee.  With calls that are VoIP from end to end there is more possibility that you can have your Caller Name appear at the other end.

Obis do have an auto attendant facility but not voicemail.

jeannnnee

Thanks, very helpful. I thought OP asked us to weigh in in this fashion. Will move to a new thread!

Soulcommander

Hey guys I have a 202 model and when I am adding the device and I dial the number shown and then hang up it shows my device number the mac serial number etc but then its asking for the admin password.  What the heck is that and where do I find it. Should it be asking for this?

anthonyk

i HAVE OBI1022. I LOVE IT. I HAVE ONE PROBLEM, I DONT LIKE USING GV VOICE MAIL I WOULD LIKE TO SET IT UP ON THE PHONE SO IT WILL RING DIRECTLY INTO VM ON MY OBI AND KEEP IT THERE. IS IT POSSIBLE? I SEEM NOT BE BALE TO FIND ANYTHING ON THIS TOPIC.

anm8tr

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 1062 model phone and have Google voice setup just fine. My problem now is with setting
up SP2 with Anveo. I have 7 phone numbers with Anveo and if I configure automatically it does not give me an option of which number to use and just pulls the main number from the account with no option of choosing a sub account. I have gone in numerous times into expert config by typing the IP address of phone, logging in and manually changing the account settings and everything works and looks good on the phone until I reboot and then all the edited settings are overwritten.

So I have a $25.00 Polycom IP phone that can configure any SIP account in 5 minutes but I can't get a $200 OBI phone to do the same.

What am I missing here? This is driving me crazy!

Thx for any suggestions