News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI-200 - Voip and GV # Questions

Started by FrankOnline, September 12, 2014, 04:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankOnline

I have a OBI-200 with my main # on VOIP.MS Their rates are decent $1. per line $1.50 911 and for a few buck you get unlimited inbound calls.

I noticed Google is now talking with OBI officially again. So I added my Google voice line to my OBI. I set it as the default to dial out (cause its free). I have 911 enabled on Voip line so I believe if that is dialed it will use that line. I have not tested it. I wish there was a way to test it.

My question is this. Caller ID. It will show my GV number to people I call. If they call back it will go to GV's voice mail. I can't change the caller id. Can I have GV forward incomming calls to my VOIP line?

So what Ideal setup would be.

Incomming - GV > VOIP > ANSWER OR VM
Outgoing - would be GV

SteveInWA

Of course.  That is exactly how Google Voice works.

Log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from a mobile browser, and go here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Add your VoIP number as a forwarding phone number, and go through the verification process.  Change any settings you wish for the number while you are here.  Also, take a look at that list of forwarding phones, and remove the check mark from, and delete any numbers you no longer control.  Otherwise, when those numbers are reissued, the new owner will get your calls and texts.   :o

Go back to the OBiTALK portal.  Adjust your settings so that you do receive inbound calls on your voip.ms number, and do not receive them on your GV service provider slot.  If you configure GV as SP1, and GV as SP2, then by default, outbound calls will use GV.  There are "fancier" ways to control this behavior, but I'll leave that discussion to guys like azrobert, if necessary.

FrankOnline

I Currently have SP1 set as VOIP.ms and 911 Access
SP2 set as Google Voice and Default for outgoing calls

I get calls in ok and I can call out.

The only thing I would like is if you call the google voice # it would forward to the VOIP.ms #
That way they both use the same voicemail.

I have gone online google voice and I have the VOIP # added and set to forward. But it ignores it. I think because the Obi is logged in and overides it.

This is where I need an expert.

SteveInWA

Frank:  I described exactly how this should work.

The "big picture" concept is:  you never give out your voip.ms number.  All your callers use your GV number to call you.  You set up your Google Voice account to forward those calls to your voip.ms phone number, and you remove the check mark next to "Google Chat".  You make outbound calls on your OBi using your Google Voice service, but inbound calls are forwarded to your voip.ms number.

If it doesn't work, start over, from scratch.  Delete your OBi off of the OBiTALK dashboard portal, and then factory reset the OBi box, and then add it back to the portal.  Let the portal set up Google Voice as SP1, and get it working.  Then, go back and add voip.ms as SP2.

FrankOnline

Ok I can try the reset and start from scratch. Thanks