News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Features (with OBi device)

Started by aragno, September 16, 2014, 09:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aragno

What features while I retain and which features of Google Voice will I lose if I setup an OBi device with my Google Voice account? I can't seem to find a list of this nature, which will let users make educated decisions about moving ahead or not with Google Voice.

Some items to get the ball rolling:
1) Voicemail indicator light(s) on OBi device
2) Incoming call logs in Google Voice
3) Outgoing call logs in Google Voice
4) All the Google Voice call forwarding features, such as those based on groups, etc.
5) ...... other features that may be of interest to users.

aragno

This is disappointing... :(

Nobody is willing to post a single thing? I will summarize in my original post and update it as I get info.

This is preventing me from purchasing....

cluckercreek

The only thing with the new GV approved setup is that you will lose MWI. Also this forum is run by customers. They will answer.

SteveInWA

Quote from: aragno on September 16, 2014, 09:46:14 AM
What features while I retain and which features of Google Voice will I lose if I setup an OBi device with my Google Voice account? I can't seem to find a list of this nature, which will let users make educated decisions about moving ahead or not with Google Voice.

Some items to get the ball rolling:
1) Voicemail indicator light(s) on OBi device
2) Incoming call logs in Google Voice
3) Outgoing call logs in Google Voice
4) All the Google Voice call forwarding features, such as those based on groups, etc.
5) ...... other features that may be of interest to users.

Perhaps nobody replied, because it's already been discussed throughout the forum, and some time spent reading would have been educational.

Your original question is also vague.  If you're asking "Does adding an OBi device to my Google Voice configuration cause any changes to the features and functions of Google Voice itself?" then the answer is no.  If you are asking "What features and functions of Google Voice can be utilized via an OBi device?" then that's an entirely different question.  The answer is:  You can perform the same functions as you could by calling into your Google Voice number over a conventional telephone, plus you can directly make and receive outbound and inbound calls.  Google Voice is not a SIP ITSP, so you can't make a direct comparison to the typical features of an ITSP.  Message Waiting indication doesn't work with GV, but the other telephone-based features all work.

zorlac

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 11, 2014, 06:07:59 PM
Message Waiting indication doesn't work with GV,
I have an old GE cordless phone with a MWI in its base that still works with GV on my obi100 running Software Version 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) that I re-setup around May 15th and then disabled auto updates from the obihai portal (out of mild paranoia  ;D).
Man I love that little green flashing led in the kitchen and I sure hope it keeps working!