News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Questions for Obi

Started by Kage, September 16, 2014, 04:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kage

With the latest firmware to make Google Voice compatible with the new OAuth 2.0 protocol the ability to configure GV locally is lost. In addition, when making calls through GV does the authentication go through Obitalk first? This opens up the possibility that you could potentially monitor usage or even the numbers we call.

If your site or network goes down, something that has happened several times in the past few years would we lose GV? What if you suddenly go out of business or sell, what happens to the data? Do you promise not to sell our data to third parties? What if you decide someone is using GV too much, are you able to cut that party off or limit access?

Instead of tinfoil accusations I think these are real issues because by the way it appears, and if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me, Obi will be a middleman to all GV calls.

The answer is to allow again local configuring and authentication to avoid privacy complaints and other concerns noted above. And from my end I plan to have a backup VOIP, most likely Localphone or VoIP.ms.  

Mango

My unofficial guess at the answer to your question:

I suspect that calls would not be routed via OBiTALK.  There would be no benefit to doing this, and it would add more points of failure, add latency, and increase cost.  If you wish, you could confirm my guess with Wireshark, or inspect connections tracked by your router (if your router allows you to do this).

If you have OBiTALK Service enabled, Obihai could in theory monitor the numbers you call, whether or not you use Google Voice.  I'm not aware of any significant historical privacy issues, however, if you like to be particularly cautious you can disable OBiTALK Service.

It seems that OBiTALK would need to be operable in order to configure Google Voice on a device.  With the new authentication method, your Google credentials are no longer stored in OBiTALK (they were before).

Kage

This is what I've been trying to find an answer to, there are many sites that will let you sign in to Google for example using Google's credentials so that site has no record of your username or password but you're doing it through their site just the same and there's a record of the transaction. So if the website goes down the ability to do that is lost.

And that's the question: when we make a call is it going directly to Google or to Obitalk first where you then get signed into Google Chat? At the very least if it's the latter then we run the risk of losing GV if obitalk goes down, even if they're not particularly monitoring usage. Although it would be obvious to them that a call was being made and they could keep a record of it if they so chose to.

Shale

Quote from: Kage on September 16, 2014, 06:16:16 PM

And that's the question: when we make a call is it going directly to Google or to Obitalk first where you then get signed into Google Chat?
I am pretty sure that your OBi box goes right to Google. OBiTalk is usually involved in the setup. It is not involved in a call via Google.

giqcass

One way to test this would be to temporarily block the OBI servers after authentication.  A lot of routers support this.  Then make a call.  Don't forget to remove the block afterward.
Long live our new ObiLords!

MarkObihai

Quote from: Kage on September 16, 2014, 04:32:04 PM
With the latest firmware to make Google Voice compatible with the new OAuth 2.0 protocol the ability to configure GV locally is lost. In addition, when making calls through GV does the authentication go through Obitalk first? This opens up the possibility that you could potentially monitor usage or even the numbers we call.
I posted this yesterday:

• For our consumer customers with a Google account, Obihai supports Google Voice when it is setup via the OBiTALK portal.  Google only supports OBi devices authenticating with their platform using the new secure authentication method via the OBiTALK portal.

The device is authenticated with Google via the portal. All service traffic is between your device and their platform - this is how all voice terminals behave on OBi devices.  There is no "data trombone" of your conversations to OBiTALK.

If your site or network goes down, something that has happened several times in the past few years would we lose GV?
The status of the OBiTALK portal has no impact on your ability to use GV from your OBi once it's set up.  By design, all devices can operate independently of the OBiTALK portal.

What if you suddenly go out of business or sell, what happens to the data? Do you promise not to sell our data to third parties?
This information is here: http://www.obihai.com/legal

What if you decide someone is using GV too much, are you able to cut that party off or limit access?
The relationship with the provider of services that you configure on your device is your relationship.  We do not police the minutes you use with your provider.

Instead of tinfoil accusations I think these are real issues because by the way it appears, and if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me, Obi will be a middleman to all GV calls.
We are a manufacturer and we do not have a voice soft switch. What you've implied is not realistic or possible.

The answer is to allow again local configuring and authentication to avoid privacy complaints and other concerns noted above. And from my end I plan to have a backup VOIP, most likely Localphone or VoIP.ms.  
I'm sorry to repeat myself, but if you wish to add GV to your device then there is only one supported method for authentication:

• For our consumer customers with a Google account, Obihai supports Google Voice when it is setup via the OBiTALK portal.  Google only supports OBi devices authenticating with their platform using the new secure authentication method via the OBiTALK portal.

How you choose to configure and manage your device is entirely your choice.  We have not removed your ability to configure and manage the device locally.

(Note for novice users, we always recommend using the portal.)
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

SteveInWA

Mark, great job with this, and your previous, referenced answer.

Kage

@MarkObihai, thanks for the detailed answers. There's a lot of obvious misinformation and speculation going around the internet related to how obi would work with GV and I thought that these issues should be clarified. I just ordered an obi200 so I have every intention of continuing with its use.

Boykin

If any one is collecting data about our GV usage, I think that would be Google. 

Kage

Quote from: Boykin on September 17, 2014, 06:36:21 AM
If any one is collecting data about our GV usage, I think that would be Google. 

We know that's happening, any service provider or VOIP is going to do that. My interest was in third parties doing it as well.

WelshPaul

Once your info is sold on to third parties it is resold and resold and err resold. Guaranteed google will sell on your info and no doubt record your calls too lol - their keen to read all your emails I know that much.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

SteveInWA

Quote from: WelshPaul on September 17, 2014, 08:49:37 AM
Once your info is sold on to third parties it is resold and resold and err resold. Guaranteed google will sell on your info and no doubt record your calls too lol - their keen to read all your emails I know that much.

Beee Essss

Google isn't recording anyone's calls.  YOU can record an inbound call IF you set up that option and you then press 4 during an inbound (but not outbound) call.

Google isn't listening to your calls for any purpose whatsoever.  Google will use machine learning to analyze your voicemail messages to produce transcripts, and optionally, with your explicit permission, analyze the voicemails to use to improve its speech-to-text system.

Of course, Google, like the vast majority of website operators, collects usage data via cookies and beacons, but it's not collecting data about the content of your calls, or the people you call or the people who call you, to sell to anyone.  The privacy policy is on their website, available for you to read.

If you are worried about this, and you don't believe Google's transparency report and privacy policy, then don't use the service.  Furthermore, GV isn't available outside the USA, so, as someone living in Wales, Google isn't even offering it to you.

WelshPaul

I was just joking about google recording calls. Was a tongue in cheek comment aimed at those with tin foil hats lol...

I have never used google voice, as you pointed out it isn't available here. Sorry if I offended you Steve. :)
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

SteveInWA

Quote from: WelshPaul on September 17, 2014, 11:22:09 AM
I was just joking about google recording calls. Was a tongue in cheek comment aimed at those with tin foil hats lol...

I have never used google voice, as you pointed out it isn't available here. Sorry if I offended you Steve. :)

No offense!  There is just so much tinfoil here that sometimes, I think Obihai should sell it by the restaurant-sized roll.

Thanks.

MarkObihai

Mind the Banter, we're British!  Here's a light hearted 101 for some perspective.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

mo832

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 17, 2014, 10:13:43 AM

Google isn't recording anyone's calls.  YOU can record an inbound call IF you set up that option and you then press 4 during an inbound (but not outbound) call.

Steve, why is this only available for inbound calls? Couldn't it be done for outbound as well as long as the same method is used (i.e. press 4 and then a voiceover states the call is being recorded)? What difference does it make who initiated the call if the record notice is given? It's not like the person who called you is aware you INTEND to start a recording in the 3rd minute, if you didn't relate your intentions prior to the phone call. *YOU* may not have even known that you would be receiving a call.

giqcass

Quote from: MarkObihai on September 17, 2014, 02:00:52 PM
Mind the Banter, we're British!  Here's a light hearted 101 for some perspective.

Point number 4. Enjoying the Misfortune of Others.  I think Americans enjoy this too.  The Germans definitely do because they even created a word for it. Schadenfreude

Point number 6. Thinking Tea Will Fix Everything.  If I am to believe movies that is absolutely true.  Americans use Chicken soup instead.

Point number 9. Driving a Stick-shift on the Wrong Side of the Road.  Anyone under the age of 30 in the US will need you to define "Driving a Stick-shift".  Most think that is a Halloween reference.
Long live our new ObiLords!