News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice quit working

Started by whazupman, September 17, 2014, 08:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whazupman

Hi,
I setup the new GV integration the day the announcement was made a few days ago. It worked great for a few days.

Now when I try to dial out I get a dial tone followed by a fast busy. I did enable the new Hangouts/Google Voice integration. Could this kill the Obi GV feature?

I have tried rebooting the Obi100. The dashboard shows "green" with the device connected.

Ideas?

TIA,
Scott

MikePA

Quote from: whazupman on September 17, 2014, 08:24:40 PM
I setup the new GV integration the day the announcement was made a few days ago. It worked great for a few days.

Now when I try to dial out I get a dial tone followed by a fast busy. I did enable the new Hangouts/Google Voice integration. Could this kill the Obi GV feature?
Is the following accurate?

1. GV was working.
2. You enabled Hangouts/GV integration.
3. GV stopped working.

whazupman

Yes, I believe so. But I'm not absolutely sure since the Obi is just a toy and not a line we use. Several days went by before I tried to use the Obi/GV line.

If this really killed the Obi integration I'm surprised Obi has not posted some info about this topic?

SteveInWA

One likely cause of this is that your Google Voice account is mis-configured.

Log onto your GV account from a laptop or desktop web browser, not from a mobile device, and look here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Do you have the Google Chat forwarding pseudo-phone destination shown on the list of forwarding phones?  Do you have an actual Google Voice number on the left side of the page, as evidenced by the exact two words "Your number", and not "Access number" or "Get a Voice number"?

If that looks good, then log onto the OBiTALK web portal, delete your device off of the page, watch while the left-most LED turns red and the lights blink until they stop, and then add the device back again, by using the *5 method (add the device on the OBiTALK portal, and then follow the instructions on the page to find the device and add it).  Then configure GV again on the device.

whazupman

This fixed my issue and my Obi100 and 110 are working perfectly now with GV. I had previously deleted the Pseudo phone for GChat forwarding.

To get the GChat phone to show back up you have to revert Hangouts to the old Chat. Attempt one call (doesn't matter if you install the voice/video feature). Then refresh your GV forwarding phones and you will see the GChat option again.

Then you can change back to Hangouts.

Cheers,
Scott

erkme73

Step 1 was ok on both of my 110 boxes (GV configured correctly with actual number and chat checked).  Neither box was ringing on incoming calls, but both would make calls just fine.

I deleted both boxes from the Obi account, and added the first without issue.  Upon doing so, incoming calls started to ring just fine.

On my second box, I can't seem to get it to register with Obi using the add device feature.  I dial the **5 XXXXXXX number, and it says it's registered the number with the server, but it times out on the web page.  I tried the **9 222 222 222 echo test as suggested, and it works just fine.  I power cycled the box, and retried.  

As a last resort, I logged into the box using the LAN IP and did a reset configuration.  Rebooted, and reattempted everything.  Same results - with the echo test still working.

Did I just boff my box?

Edited to add:  After a few more attempts, it finally took.  I'm now registered.  HOWEVER, I still am not receiving calls on the box.  I can make them fine.    What else can I check?

Edited again:  Having done nothing else, it suddenly started working.  Perhaps GV is just having issues at the moment.  Figures. Usually when I'm doing any kind of network testing, Murphy will have my ISP go down so that I think it's my network...

sfisher

I am trying to get the google chat box to show as a option, no lick getting this done....can anyone provide a walk thru for this?

"To get the GChat phone to show back up you have to revert Hangouts to the old Chat. Attempt one call (doesn't matter if you install the voice/video feature). Then refresh your GV forwarding phones and you will see the GChat option again.
"

I cant find where to get "revert" in hangouts....

SteveInWA

Log into your Gmail account, not your Google Voice account.  Look on the left side of the web page for your avatar (either a generic head and shoulders icon, or a photo or graphic you uploaded).  Click it to reveal the Hangouts settings box.  Click the link at the bottom right of the box that says "revert to old Chat".

See the attached screenshot.

sfisher

Took forever to find it, had to make it the new hangouts then found it and got it back now, thank you so much for your help.

olie

I've searched and searched to the icon to revert back to the old Google Chat and it appears that it has been removed.  I'll try adding a screen shot if someone has any input on this.

I have two OBI devices and the one I've had for years has the Google Chat forward checked but for the life of me I can't get it onto the newest device the OBi200 I bought last week. 

SteveInWA

Olie, I see your issue now (took me a while to notice the rest of your web page):

You are looking at the settings box on the Google+ website.  Since Hangouts is part of Google+, it is not going to offer to revert you back to a service that doesn't work with Google+ !

Instead, go to your Gmail main web page, click your chat avatar along the left side of the page, and then you will see the "Revert" choice as in my screenshot.

olie

:D  Bingo !  Thanks for the clarification, I went to the main Gmail page as you suggested and reverted it back to the old Google Chat.

But after that the Google Chat feature did not show up in the Google Voice settings even with logging out and back in many tries until I manually tried to make a phone call through the computer and that seem to make it click.   The next time I went into phone settings it showed the good old "Google Chat" for forwarding option.

Thanks for the support. Hope this helps other people also.

Olie