News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

For SteveInWA- GV record feature

Started by mo832, September 18, 2014, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

Steve, I posted this as a response in the Obi products thread, but it got overlooked and I guess it really belongs in a different place anyway. I have copied it here:

Quote from: mo832 on September 17, 2014, 07:32:23 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on September 17, 2014, 10:13:43 AM

Google isn't recording anyone's calls.  YOU can record an inbound call IF you set up that option and you then press 4 during an inbound (but not outbound) call.

Steve, why is this only available for inbound calls? Couldn't it be done for outbound as well as long as the same method is used (i.e. press 4 and then a voiceover states the call is being recorded)? What difference does it make who initiated the call if the record notice is given? It's not like the person who called you is aware you INTEND to start a recording in the 3rd minute, if you didn't relate your intentions prior to the phone call. *YOU* may not have even known that you would be receiving a call.

Can you comment?

SteveInWA

I intentionally overlooked it, as I don't feel like getting into a meta-discussion about the varying laws and the ethics of recording calls, depending on the level of informed consent, etc.

I'll just point out that, when recording an inbound call, both parties hear Kiki announce the fact that the call is being recorded, so there is no way to surreptitiously record a call without both parties being informed.  This isn't the case with outbound calls.