News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Set up Obi100 but phone won't ring

Started by dblagent007, September 14, 2014, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dblagent007

I've had an Obi100 for a number of years now that I use with my Google Voice account. I didn't use ObiTalk to configure it because I didn't like the idea of giving Obi my Google login credentials. Obi recently fixed this by using OAuth so I decided to reconfigure my Obi100 the easy way.

I updated the firmware to the most recent version - 1.3.0 (2824 2872)).
I factory reset my Obi100.
I configured it using the Obitalk page to work with Google Voice.

It all works except the phone hooked up to the Obi100 doesn't ring. It used to ring before but with this new configuration it doesn't. I've tested it and I can call out without any problems. However, when I try calling my number it doesn't ring. I can even answer the call with the phone and talk to the person on the other end of the line (so the phone line works). The only problem is that I have no idea when someone is calling me (unless my mobile phone is nearby because it also rings when someone calls my GV number).

I poked around in the expert settings, but didn't see an obvious setting to modify that will fix my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Taoman

Quote from: dblagent007 on September 14, 2014, 05:14:13 PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is your X_RingProfile and X_DefaultRing set to? Do you have a newer phone that can handle different ring patterns?
In any case, I would probably try changing your X_RingProfile just to see what happens.

Do have a different provider provisioned for SP2?

SteveInWA

I suggest manually downloading and flashing the latest firmware to your OBi box; you don't have the latest version installed now.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8482.0

dblagent007

My X_RingProfile is set to A and my X_DefaultRing is set to 1. My phone isn't that new and it used to work, which why this is so weird.

Steve, my firmware is actually 2872. I made a mistake in the OP when I wrote 2824.

SteveInWA

I suppose the next obvious trouble-shooting step would be to try a different telephone and a different modular phone cord, or take that telephone and cord to another location (friend, relative, office) and plug it in and see if it rings.

SteveInWA

You can also experiment with increasing the ring voltage say 5 volts at a time, and also try switching from sinusoidal to trapezoidal wave pattern.  See my screenshot of the PHONE port page:

dblagent007

I tried hooking up a different phone to my Obi100 and also didn't ring. I have a second line that is also connected to an Obi100 and it rang when connected to it. So, I know it is definitely not the phone. Something is wrong with the Obi100/GV.

dblagent007

I maxed out the ring voltage (at 82) and changed the wave pattern to trapezoidal (separately and together) and it didn't do anything.

This is very perplexing.

I have another Obi100 that I don't use (I have a total of three). I'm thinking of trying it and seeing what happens.

SteveInWA

Quote from: dblagent007 on September 14, 2014, 08:52:29 PM
I tried hooking up a different phone to my Obi100 and also didn't ring. I have a second line that is also connected to an Obi100 and it rang when connected to it. So, I know it is definitely not the phone. Something is wrong with the Obi100/GV.

Would you please explain that in more detail?  What, exactly do you mean?  Do you have another OBi 100 device that is configured to use the same Google Voice account?  If so, only one of the two boxes will ring (working as designed), since the 100 series only supports one GV connection at a time (without using "forking").

If you have two OBi 100s, I'd suggest setting them up exactly the same way.  Unplug one of them from power.  Plug your phone into the other one and power-cycle it.  Does it work?  Swap boxes and retry.  Does it work?  This will isolate the problem to the hardware or to your configuration.

Oh, and you DO have the Google Chat forwarding "phone" destination added and check-marked on this page, right?

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

dblagent007

I have three Obi100s. One is connected to my GV account (the one I'm having problems with). A second one is connected to a FutureNine account (this one is my home phone). I also have a third Obi100 that is not being used.

I have the google chat forwarding on. I was using the Obi100 to receive GV phone calls before I upgraded the firmware and switched to Obitalk.

I'm definitely going to try the unused Obi100 and see what it does. If it works, then I probably should forget about this one.

dblagent007

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 14, 2014, 09:07:04 PM
AND, don't forget, expiring tonight, you can get a new OBi 200 for $29.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833617008
Thanks for the reminder. I bought two of them (and now I have a total of five Obi devices!). I ought to be able to get it working.

SteveInWA

What happens if you move the telephone and its line cord over to the OBi that is setup with Future 9?  Does it ring?  Just to be sure   ???

dblagent007

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 14, 2014, 09:37:04 PM
What happens if you move the telephone and its line cord over to the OBi that is setup with Future 9?  Does it ring?  Just to be sure   ???
Yes, the telephone rings when connected to the Future 9 account. It just doesn't ring when connected to the phone for my personal GV account.

After I bought the two Obi200s, I'm wondering if I should have just gotten a single Obi202. I actually have two sets of wires in my house for the two different lines. Can I just hook up the Obi202 to the two lines and have my personal GV account ring one line and my home GV account ring the other line? Right now my home GV account is forwarded to Future 9, which then rings my Obi100. I configured it that way back when GV was supposed to be shut down. I'm ready to drop Future 9 on my home account and just use GV.

SteveInWA

Well, yes, you could use one 202 instead of two 200s or 100s, since the 202 has two line ports (RJ-11).  This would be if you want to use the two services independently on two different phone wire pairs to different telephones (or a multi-line phone).

But, if you're going to get rid of Future 9, I wouldn't bother.  Don't forget, the 200 still has 4 service provider slots, and you can certainly configure it to have Google Voice on SP1 and Future 9 or some other SIP provider on SP2.

The common scenario is:  GV on SP1, SIP ITSP on SP2.  Use GV by default for (free) outbound calling, since it's on SP1.  Remove the check mark for Google Chat on your GV settings page, so it won't be used for inbound, and add and enable the SIP ITSP number on that GV Phones page, so it becomes your inbound forwarding destination.  Depending on the SIP ITSP, this gives you Caller ID Name (CNAM) support.

dblagent007

I have two different phone wire pairs. One runs to my personal phone in my home office. The other one is my home phone and runs to the rest of the house. I do it this way so that calls to my personal phone don't ring to the other phones in my house (even if it is a different ring tone - who knows whether my toddler will pick it up).

My final setup when I am done messing with things is for my personal GV account to ring to my personal phone in my office and my home GV account to ring to the other phones in the house with no other SIP providers (I'm planning to drop Future 9 - only switched to them because GV was supposed to get cut).

If I understand you correctly, I can do this with two Obi200s or a single Obi202. Is that right?

SteveInWA

If I understand what you are saying, you will have two separate Google Voice accounts (two different user IDs).  If so, then yes, you can certainly use either two 200s or one 202.  Given the sale on the 200s, two of them are cheaper than one 202 by ten bucks, so there you have it!  With two 200s, neither one will have any impact on the other at all.  It would be just like two different GV users in two different places, with their own OBis.

You can, of course get into all sorts of advanced trickery with dial plans, digit maps and voice gateways, etc, but I'll leave that to ianobi and azrobert to make your head spin.

Just one trick would be that you can make an "intercom" call between the two lines by setting up a speed dial on each box to use the OBiTALK network to call the other box's OBi ID number.

dblagent007

I just got my Obi200 and it works great. I don't know why the Obi100 wouldn't ring, but the Obi200 doesn't have that problem.

amsguy

Did you check "Forward call to Google Chat" in your Google Voice setting?