News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 not getting IP address

Started by innominato, September 04, 2014, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

innominato

I have opened a ticket on this issue with technical support.

I am just wondering if somebody that has done this in the past can give me an indication on the usual response time.

I also wonder how the contact will be made, I don't think they have my phone # and obviously troubleshooting via email and with a unit (mine) that cannot get an IP address seems problematic.

Can someone turn on the light please

ceg3

Obihai support will respond to requests for support made by way of email.  Maybe you can give more details here about your issue.

innominato

Thanks ceg3. They responded to me by saying they believe my unit has been toasted by a nearby thunder strike.

Goldenmeadow

Do you have flashing red/green LED? If yes, then there is topic on that.

My obi looses IP once a week... And asks for firmware upgrade. I found the way - you need to unplug power supply from receptacle (not the plug from obi! - it's important). Then reboot your rounter and then plug power supply back. It works for me.

My obi is on UPS but looks like it happens when power switches from AC to UPS...

Quote from: innominato >:( on September 04, 2014, 02:51:48 PM
I have opened a ticket on this issue with technical support.

I am just wondering if somebody that has done this in the past can give me an indication on the usual response time.

I also wonder how the contact will be made, I don't think they have my phone # and obviously troubleshooting via email and with a unit (mine) that cannot get an IP address seems problematic.

Can someone turn on the light please

SteveInWA

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on September 06, 2014, 08:17:19 AM

My obi looses IP once a week... And asks for firmware upgrade. I found the way - you need to unplug power supply from receptacle (not the plug from obi! - it's important). Then reboot your rounter and then plug power supply back. It works for me.

My obi is on UPS but looks like it happens when power switches from AC to UPS...

This is misinformation.  You probably have a defective, borderline-functioning AC adapter, or a poor-quality or defective UPS.  Between the UPS and the OBi AC adapter, they should provide enough power filtering and capacitor energy storage to survive the switch-over time in a properly-working UPS.  A few years ago, there was a batch of bad OBi AC adapters out in the wild, which eventually failed, so don't discount that possibility.

I have numerous OBi devices connected to two different UPSs.  The UPSs get regularly tested (temporarily switching to battery backup), and the OBi devices never fail in any way.  Note that UPS batteries have a limited lifespan, depending on ambient temperature and number of charge/discharge cycles, and the sophistication of the UPS's charging circuitry.  Lifespan may range from 3-5 years.  UPSs can also be damaged or degraded by brownouts or strong electrical surges.

Goldenmeadow

Steve, you are right!!!

I checked my Obi's power supply - it was plugged in SURGE ONLY receptacle of UPS :( (stupid me)

But I'm not sure about power supply. I tried power supply from my old Netgear router (the same amperage) and it faulted on me once. But it could be because it was plugged in wrong receptacle of UPS (stupid me)

Anyway. Now I'm on proper side of UPS and will monitor it properly!

But the solution to get Obi back to life is true: unplug POWER SUPPLY from receptacle, reboot router and have a beer. Then plug Obi's power supply back.

Thanks!

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 06, 2014, 07:07:20 PM

This is misinformation.  You probably have a defective, borderline-functioning AC adapter, or a poor-quality or defective UPS.  Between the UPS and the OBi AC adapter, they should provide enough power filtering and capacitor energy storage to survive the switch-over time in a properly-working UPS.  A few years ago, there was a batch of bad OBi AC adapters out in the wild, which eventually failed, so don't discount that possibility.

I have numerous OBi devices connected to two different UPSs.  The UPSs get regularly tested (temporarily switching to battery backup), and the OBi devices never fail in any way.  Note that UPS batteries have a limited lifespan, depending on ambient temperature and number of charge/discharge cycles, and the sophistication of the UPS's charging circuitry.  Lifespan may range from 3-5 years.  UPSs can also be damaged or degraded by brownouts or strong electrical surges.

Goldenmeadow

Ok, looks like I'm talking to myself...

It's Friday again and my Obi100 started flashing red/green asking for firmware update...

So again, simple unplug for 30 minutes and it's up and running.

Why does it happen on Fridays? If it's flash-end-of-the-life issue then I expect to see it at random intervals...

My Obi is not registered with Obitalk, updates are disabled...

Are there any weekly "pings" from Obihai side that might trigger something?

Thanks

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on September 07, 2014, 05:15:44 AM
Steve, you are right!!!

I checked my Obi's power supply - it was plugged in SURGE ONLY receptacle of UPS :( (stupid me)

But I'm not sure about power supply. I tried power supply from my old Netgear router (the same amperage) and it faulted on me once. But it could be because it was plugged in wrong receptacle of UPS (stupid me)

Anyway. Now I'm on proper side of UPS and will monitor it properly!

But the solution to get Obi back to life is true: unplug POWER SUPPLY from receptacle, reboot router and have a beer. Then plug Obi's power supply back.

Thanks!

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 06, 2014, 07:07:20 PM

This is misinformation.  You probably have a defective, borderline-functioning AC adapter, or a poor-quality or defective UPS.  Between the UPS and the OBi AC adapter, they should provide enough power filtering and capacitor energy storage to survive the switch-over time in a properly-working UPS.  A few years ago, there was a batch of bad OBi AC adapters out in the wild, which eventually failed, so don't discount that possibility.

I have numerous OBi devices connected to two different UPSs.  The UPSs get regularly tested (temporarily switching to battery backup), and the OBi devices never fail in any way.  Note that UPS batteries have a limited lifespan, depending on ambient temperature and number of charge/discharge cycles, and the sophistication of the UPS's charging circuitry.  Lifespan may range from 3-5 years.  UPSs can also be damaged or degraded by brownouts or strong electrical surges.

SteveInWA

Time to buy a new OBi 200 series box (well, the time to do that would have been when they were on sale).

Mango

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on September 19, 2014, 08:45:36 AMMy Obi is not registered with Obitalk, updates are disabled...

Do you have OBiTALK Service enabled?  What firmware are you running right now?

Lavarock7

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on September 19, 2014, 08:45:36 AM

It's Friday again and my Obi100 started flashing red/green asking for firmware update...

Probably not your issue, but I used to have strange happenings on the same day each week.

a) PC problems appearing right after Microsoft sent down patched

b) Strange problems when my UPS did a scheduled test (many UPS's have an automatic schedule to switch to batteries and drain them some, then switch to the main AC to charge them and time how long they take to discharge/charge).
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

SteveInWA

Amusing.  Maybe somebody is sneaking into your house and zapping it with a Taser every Friday.  I still think it's time to just hit it with a hammer and get another one, given all the time that has been spent troubleshooting it.

RE:  Lavarock's theories:

a) Microsoft's patch release schedule is the second Tuesday of every month, unless there is an urgent security incident.

b) The whole point of a (properly functioning, good quality) UPS is to make power interruptions almost invisible (or at least insignificant) to the load.  At most, the test would cause a few milliseconds of loss, as long as the battery isn't dying or dead.  Unless this is a crappy UPS with a faulty battery, and too many things plugged into it, I'd doubt that is the issue.

Since the OBi was failing when NOT on the UPS, I think it is safe to say that it's just gone bad.