News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice and Faxes

Started by bsdaiwa, September 24, 2014, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lavarock7

Quote from: thogan on December 14, 2014, 05:34:35 PM
I seem to be having more success now receiving faxes.  I set the machine to answer after 4 rings (I also tried 1, 2 and 3 ring settings) and have successfully received 3 faxes in a row now...a 4th fax came in on the 3rd of 3 tries.  I did replace the ethernet and phone cables so I'm not sure if that has helped or if it is the ring setting that did the trick.  I'll keep testing but thanks for all the advice and help. Oh, and I looked into Callcentric but don't want to pay monthly fees for 911 service when I can keep the limited Ringcentral for $9.99 a year.

When I signed up for a free inbound NYC number, I said I was using it out of the country; thus no 911 fee. No 911 service here can accurately determine how to get to my house, so I lied. Also if I am using the account for inbound only, no nee to be able to call 911.

As I understand it, once you tell the system you are using the number in the US, you will get charged the 911 fee.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

rrgg

I have a Canon MF4880 multi-function and would like to try the suggestion of setting a star code suggested in an earlier post:

*01, Modem Call, set($Noji1,200),set($Noec1,1),set($Cdm1,3)

Assuming what's shown above is correct, when I click on Star Code Profile A, I can see 36 codes defined but am blocked from entering a new one.  Is that intentional?

Am I expected to use Backup Config to export an XML file, then edit the XML to add a new code, and then use Import Config to read it back in?  Thanks.

drgeoff

Quote from: rrgg on May 25, 2017, 09:13:37 PMwhen I click on Star Code Profile A, I can see 36 codes defined but am blocked from entering a new one.
Clear the tick from the box(es) at the right hand end of the line where you want to enter a new star code  or change an existing one.

rrgg

Thank you!!!

I should mention that without doing anything, I've been able to send short faxes but not longer ones, so I guess it's the same quality issue others described.

I'm a little surprised that this code is not already a preset on the device for users with fax problems since there are lots of other codes.

From the manual, http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

$NOEC1 = Disable echo canceller once in the next call on this phone port (phone-port specific; admissible value: 1)

$NOJI1 = Disable jitter buffer adjustment once in the next call on this phone port (phone-port specific; admissible value: 1)

$CDM1 = Codecs to enable in the next call on this phone port (temporarily overriding any codec preferences in device
configuration) (phone-port specific; admissible value: An 8-bit unsigned number where each bit of its value represents one
audio codec:
- Bit0 (LSB) = G711u
- Bit1 = G711a
- Bit2 = G726r16
- Bit3 = G726r24
- Bit4 = G726r32
- Bit5 = G726r40
- Bit6 = G729
)

Almighty1

Did something change in the firmwares of the last few months or so relating to faxing with Google Voice as before, using *01 would cause faxes to work when they would fail without the *01 but now, it seems like the *01 would cause faxes to fail in sending and not using *01 would cause faxes to send successfully. 

SmallCube

I have a Brother fax machine with an Obihai 200 using Google Voice, and after some experimenting sending faxes, I determined the following:

• set($Noji1,200) was not sufficient, but boosting it to 500 seemed better.
  • set($Noec1,1) seemed to make sending faxes very slow, or cause it to fail.
  • set($Cdm1,3) did not seem to be necessary as G711u was always used for all my test calls.

vadr

I'm able to send faxes, including more than one page, without any problems or any configuration efforts, using OBI200, GV, Agere WinModem on the computer, and Windows Fax and Scan, a standard feature of Windows 10.

biggpimpn2u

Quote from: thogan on December 12, 2014, 11:38:39 AM
I can send faxes with my Obi200 but can't receive faxes with it (I was successful in 1 of about 20 attempts).  I'm wondering what kind of fax machine you are using as I would be willing to buy a new fax machine if that would solve this problem for me.  Thanks,/Tom

me too I have the same issure I can send a fax but when receiving it says Fax received but instead of printing it out it goes to GV voicemail.  Hope someone has a fix for this?

SteveInWA

Quote from: biggpimpn2u on June 22, 2018, 01:22:06 PM
I can send faxes with my Obi200 but can't receive faxes with it (I was successful in 1 of about 20 attempts).  I'm wondering what kind of fax machine you are using as I would be willing to buy a new fax machine if that would solve this problem for me.  Thanks,/Tom

me too I have the same issure I can send a fax but when receiving it says Fax received but instead of printing it out it goes to GV voicemail.  Hope someone has a fix for this?

Decrease the ring period (the number of rings the fax machine "hears" before it answers the call), to less than 25 seconds.

biggpimpn2u

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 22, 2018, 03:27:40 PM

Decrease the ring period (the number of rings the fax machine "hears" before it answers the call), to less than 25 seconds.

do you mean the number of time the phone rings as in 1 2 3 4 rings or is this some other setting?

drgeoff

Quote from: biggpimpn2u on June 24, 2018, 09:03:03 AM

do you mean the number of time the phone rings as in 1 2 3 4 rings or is this some other setting?
The setting on the fax machine that determines how long it waits before answering a call.

biggpimpn2u

Quote from: drgeoff on June 24, 2018, 10:10:14 AM

Ok thanks I have tried that and it still won't receive the fax I still get a GV message and when I play it I hear the fax dial tons coming in from the machine sending the fax

The setting on the fax machine that determines how long it waits before answering a call.

biggpimpn2u

Quote from: biggpimpn2u on June 24, 2018, 10:33:01 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on June 24, 2018, 10:10:14 AM
I can send faxes with my Obi200 but can't receive faxes with it (I was successful in 1 of about 20 attempts).  I'm wondering what kind of fax machine you are using as I would be willing to buy a new fax machine if that would solve this problem for me.  Thanks,/Tom

Ok thanks I have tried that and it still won't receive the fax I still get a GV message and when I play it I hear the fax dial tons coming in from the machine sending the fax

me too I have the same issure I can send a fax but when receiving it says Fax received but instead of printing it out it goes to GV voicemail.  Hope someone has a fix for this?

well that was easy I fixed it lol

So this is what I had to do so that my faxes would come through the fax machine and not get sent to Google voice mail.

First log in to my google voice account then I went to settings it's the three dots then click under the phone number Transfer to get to Phones tab it takes you to the old google voice setup.  Then click the Calls tab and turn off call screening.  After I did that my faxes come in perfect every time.

Sbarsukov

in addition to the previous post turned off "Filter spam " on GV settings page. Problem solved.

Almighty1

Quote from: SmallCube on September 27, 2017, 07:24:48 PMI have a Brother fax machine with an Obihai 200 using Google Voice, and after some experimenting sending faxes, I determined the following:

• set($Noji1,200) was not sufficient, but boosting it to 500 seemed better.
  • set($Noec1,1) seemed to make sending faxes very slow, or cause it to fail.
  • set($Cdm1,3) did not seem to be necessary as G711u was always used for all my test calls.

My question is how did you get you get the settings to stick as I tried on the Obi202:
*01, Modem Call, set($Noji1,500),set($Cdm1,3)
Saved settings, check the settings and it still shows the above but once I rebooted, it went back to:
I also tried:
*01, Modem Call, set($Noji1,500)
Saved settings, check the settings and it still shows the above but once I rebooted, it went back to: