News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi boxes for phone are awesome. But what if?

Started by Candy, September 25, 2014, 06:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candy

I do not fully understand how Google Voice + Obi + phone set work for all of us.

If Google Voice no longer support Obi, we will lose free domestic calls and inexpensive international calls. But we still can use other low cost VoIPs.

What if Obihai stops supporting Obi phone boxes? Do they have some sort of server that operate daily to support those boxes? I think not but am not certain. Years ago I had used SunRocket. Once they were out of business their box no longer worked because they are the VoIP themselves for their box. This is different.

CLTGreg

That certainly is a risk though a small one as far as the one time price. OBis can be programmed independent of OBtalk. You could grab the admin guide for safe keeping but the only thing you should lose if Obihai went out of business is the ability to reprogram it through OBitalk. And the ability to use the Obi network to talk device to device which few use.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

giqcass

@Candy  Google Voice is officially supported now so I don't expect to lose that service any time soon.

@ CLTGreg Correct most Obi functions will remain intact even if ObiHai the company were to disappear completely.

The Obitalk functionality would be gone.  Configuring devices through the web portal would be gone.  Remote management could still be done for those of us tech savvy enough to do it.  Local management really isn't too difficult.  Many of us prefer it.  One downside is that Google voice can only be added through the Obitalk portal. Once added Google Voice does not need the portal to function.  We would also lose a few special deals like the one offered by Phonepower. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

azrobert

GV can be configured locally with firmware level 2824 and below on the OBi1xx and 4350 and below on the OBi2xx. If you are worried about OBihai going away, don't install any builds above these levels.

Like giqcass said, if you are above these levels GV will continue to work. You won't be able to change your userid or add a new GV trunk.

vtsnaab

Fascinating & helpful info:
Quote from: azrobert on September 25, 2014, 07:47:27 PM
GV can be configured locally with firmware level 2824 and below on the OBi1xx and 4350 and below on the OBi2xx. If you are worried about OBihai going away, don't install any builds above these levels
Perhaps there is someplace where the older versions of f/w can be gotten to get to keep on hand ??
(I do not recall seeing such a place, maybe it is someplace obvious & I've just missed it ??)

Thanks.

Taoman

Quote from: vtsnaab on September 26, 2014, 09:47:31 AM

Perhaps there is someplace where the older versions of f/w can be gotten to get to keep on hand ??

Not sure what the point of that would be since you can't downgrade your firmware level.

vtsnaab

Candy

Quote from: Taoman on September 26, 2014, 09:53:41 AM
Quote from: vtsnaab on September 26, 2014, 09:47:31 AM

Not sure what the point of that would be since you can't downgrade your firmware level.

If we can find the right firmware for the box and instructions for local configuration, that would be great. I read the story about the man who founded Obi, he used to like make something new and then sell it and try new things.

azrobert

You can download the above builds here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

The setup is easy, but like Taoman said above the Obi will not allow you to install a down level build.
Maybe someone smarter than me can hack the box to install a down level build, so it can't hurt to save a copy.

In OBi expert you can see what build you have installed.
Click Status, then System Status.
The build# is listed under Product Information.

giqcass

I keep archived copies for just in case scenarios.  There is always the possibility of flashing the chip manually.

Lavarock7

I would not worry about Obi stopping support for their devices.

Imagine if you had bought a VCR and then people stopped making VCR tapes?

Just a year of using GV with an Obi of an Obi with a Voip account would have well offset the cost of the hardware compared to what the phone company would charge you for similar service.

I once spent $100 on a mower I used a couple of times. It cost $100 but saved me paying someone $200 to do the same job.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

giqcass

Quote from: Lavarock7 on September 26, 2014, 12:26:33 PM
Just a year of using GV with an Obi of an Obi with a Voip account would have well offset the cost of the hardware compared to what the phone company would charge you for similar service.
Depending on the model Obi I would break even in 1 month where I live.  With the sale price I got on my last Obi I actually would have came out ahead in 1 month.  Phone service is ridiculous in rural areas.