News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can obi200 provide dial tone to mulitple outlets?

Started by shuttlefan, September 26, 2014, 09:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shuttlefan

I've got an older rev of OnQ 1x11 basic telecom module (pg 7, top picture)
http%3A%2F%2Fwileysystems.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F04%2FOnQOwnersMan.pdf

I tried plugging in to the various jacks on the panel and various outlets...nothing worked.
obi works fine connecting phone directly.

I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup and are able to use OBI to power the panel with it?

zorlac

I just disconnected my parents Verizon service (Red & Green wires) where it enters the house from the street and their obi200 is driving all the phones in their house no problem.
My obi100 drives 6 phones in my house the same way after disconnecting from the street.
Your URL to the pdf doesn't work for me.

CLTGreg

You can't (as far as I can tell) plug it in to one of the modular jacks. As far as I can see there are three ways to do this. One is to jack in to an existing jack as was already recommended but I'm guess all jacks do a home run to the module so that won't work. The second is to jack in at the demark point which would usually be on the side of the house which should bring you signal to the module then out to the other phones. This may not be a desirable situation depending on where the dmark is and where you want the OBi to be.

The third solution would be to open up one end of a modular telephone cable and slide the red and green wires on to the wiring jack which is known as:

1. LINE IN – Incoming telephone service from the telephone company's Network Interface Device (NID), which is typically located on the side of your house, is terminated at this connection point. The telephone service is transmitted over a Category 5 cable through four individual twisted pairs of wires (one pair for each incoming phone line). Each incoming line is carried over color-coded cable pairs throughout the OnQ System: Line 1 pair (solid blue, white/blue stripe), Line 2 pair (orange, white/orange), Line 3 pair (green, white/green),
and Line 4 pair (brown, white/brown)

It's the line 1 pair you want and I assume it's red to blue and green to blue stripe but I'm not sure. RadioShack may have an adapter that goes from modular to the braids but you should be able to do it with scissors and an old cord.

If you can trace where LINE IN goes to then you can jack it in there. If it goes out to the demark that might not be easy. If the wires go out to a jack that may be in a wall then you should be able to intercept there. Plug the OBi in to the jack and then the LINE IN to the OBi. That's really your goal. Get the LINE IN to the OBi.