News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does the OBi 100 accept Usernames with underscore?

Started by QBZappy, May 13, 2011, 09:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Issue:
I can not register a voipms sub account on my OBi 100 unit.

Background:
The sub accounts must have an underscore as part of the user name. ex=12345_XXX

I have successfully registered a VoipMS sub account on the OBI 110. The OBi 110 registered fine. The OBi 100 will not register with the sub account. I tried the same sub account settings with Eyebeam soft-phone, it registered fine.

Conclusion:
Trouble shooting this with voipms support, we arrive at this conclusion. This is part part of the live chat I had with the customer rep.

[Chris] sometimes we run into a device not supporting underscore.
[QBZappy] OK then, I will see if the underscore is the problem. You did say that it is a requirement of the sub account, right? I must use the underscore?
[Chris] yes, since the underscore is part of the username.
[Chris] we cannot change this.

Can someone at OBi central confirm this please.

Edit: OBi 100 firmware= 1.2.1 (Build: 2283), OBi 110 firmware= previous build
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

obi-support2

OBI does not have such limitation. Underscore(_) or dash (-) in username are all supported.

A simple capture of SIP Register messages from the OBi will show if that's an OBI issue.

Thank you.
OBIHAI Support Staff

QBZappy

UPdate: -SOLVED-

I deleted the voipms sub account, and created a new one. The new sub account is now registering to voipms. I don't know why it didn't work before.

For those that want to setup extensions to a far away OBi endpoint this sub account feature allows you to connect via an extension number. It gives you PBX like capabilities with VM, music on hold, etc... without the trouble of setting up a PBX.

If you are sending an OBi to a 3rd world type country where there are no DID or very expensive DID service, setting up an OBi with a local SIP account or in this case a voipms sub account + the far end POTS line gives you a cheaper alternative to communications to that country using a regular telephone set.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

obi-support2

Good that you get it solved.

Sometimes there may be invisible extra white spaces when you enter parameters on
the OBi web page. The OBi will not remove any trailing or leading white spaces from the username field. Just a theory.
OBIHAI Support Staff