News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 Incoming Call Pickup Problem

Started by dhfobi, September 30, 2014, 06:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhfobi

I am experiencing a strange phenomenon on maybe 30% of inbound calls to my number. I have a DECT 6.0 analog wireless phone system connected to my Obi100. When I pickup the call after anywhere from 1 to 3 rings I hear nothing and the only way I can actually connect to the person calling is to hook flash as though I was answering a call waiting and I hear a dial tone, and then since there is no call waiting, I hook flash back and the call is connected. The answering machine associated with the phone does however pickup after the set 4 rings so it is capable of answering the call without my manual intervention.
Tech support at my VoIP provider, Anveo, indicated the following:
" I had similar problem at home with OBI100 and the problem was that OBI was not picking on-hook voltage change from my analog phone. My solution was replacing analog phone."
He suggested I contact Obi to see if there are any settings that would affect the call pickup sensitivity.
Is there anything I can adjust that would increase the Obi100 call pickup sensitivity?
Any help would be much appreciated.

hwittenb

When you take the phone line off hook maybe there is a little "bounce" in the electrical circuitry and you are getting a false hook flash.

The OBi Admin Guide says the minimum hook flash time is 100 ms, but that is not truthful.  My OBi's show the minimum hook flash time setting of 70 ms. What happens if you increase the minimum hook flash time to 100 or 125 ms?

Physical Interfaces --> PHONE Port --> Timers --> HookFlashTimeMin

Hook Flash is a quick transition of the phone's hook switch from Off-Hook state to On-Hook state, and back to Off-Hook state.
This parameter specifies the lower time limit in
milliseconds such that if the hook switch stays at the
intermediate On-Hook state for less than this time limit,
the OBi device will not recognize the state transition as a
HOOK FLASH event, but consider the hook switch remains
at Off-Hook state throughout the transition (in other
words, the transition is discarded as a glitch if it happens
too quickly)

dhfobi

Sounds like a reasonable possibility. The default was in fact 70ms as you have noted, and I have just changed it to 125ms. I'll report if that solves the problem.
Thanks for the direction.

dhfobi

It just occurred to me that my problem is not with being able to hook flash but in being able to answer a call by just touching the phone/flash button. I only use the hook flash to attempt to connect to the call when pressing the phone/flash button to answer the call, doesn't work.
When the problem occurs I hear a little 'buzz' almost sounds like a short packet transmission and the call does not connect.
To attempt to connect I then hook flash which when it works then produces a dial tone since there is no other call waiting on the line, and then if I hook flash again to come back to the original caller, if I'm lucky the original call the connects if the caller has not hung up in the interim.
I hope I'm making myself clear,.... does this clarify my situation?

dhfobi

Quote from: dhfobi on September 30, 2014, 06:33:11 PM
Sounds like a reasonable possibility. The default was in fact 70ms as you have noted, and I have just changed it to 125ms. I'll report if that solves the problem.
Thanks for the direction.

I have tried the suggestion and actually tried several values from 125 to 250ms with no improvement.
To answer a call I tap the phone/flash button for less than the minimum time set for the flash activation, and the call is not answered. It appears to go immediately to HOLD since callers hear the "music on hold" that Anveo provides. The only way for me to receive the call is to use the double hook flash sequence described above. However if I let the associated answering machine answer the call there is no such problem. I've tried another analog phone and it does the same thing. It appears my OBi100 is seeing a phone/flash or any other key as an answer and hold command not just answer.
Are there any other OBi settings that could influence this? I have been told by Anveo that this is not a network problem and that it's in the customer equipment which they of course do not setup or dervice.
Any ideas for me to try would be appreciated.

Shale

I think that when you say "The answering machine associated with the phone " that you are referring to an answer machine built into the DECT base station rather than a separate unit. Right?

dhfobi

Quote from: Shale on October 21, 2014, 04:24:04 PM
I think that when you say "The answering machine associated with the phone " that you are referring to an answer machine built into the DECT base station rather than a separate unit. Right?

Yes, that is correct.