News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Disconnects at 10, 30, 60 minutes

Started by CLTGreg, September 30, 2014, 06:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLTGreg

I have seen threads before about hangups at exactly 60 minutes with an OBi. I have experienced this with a 202 and lately have been stung at 30 minutes. Today for the first time I was cut off at 10 minutes.

I have always blamed the providers for this but today I was looking at the phone when cut off at 10 minutes. It is a two line corded phone.

Usually the light for a call in progress is red when in use and the other line will be green. When the disconnected happened both lines went red which is usually how it looks when receiving an update through OBitalk. This tells me that something freaked out the 202. This was on an incoming call.

When I tried to call back the party I got an authentication error for GV. It told me if I changed my password to log in to OBitalk to update it. A few minutes later it worked again.

I hope the unit isn't bad because it is out of warranty. 90% of the time it works fine. Please help!

giqcass

The auto disconnects are typically the result of router settings.  I can't remember which ones anymore.  What you experienced here seems to be something else.  If the problem doesn't clear up I would attempt to remove GV from the Obi and then put it back.
Long live our new ObiLords!

CLTGreg

It's been looped in and out. I did move it to a 200 and I can test that way if I have too but it's inconvenient since it might take 50 calls to do it again.

I swear I remember some sort of time out available that could come with audio warning when the time is almost up but I can't remember who/what/where it is.

SteveInWA

This happened fairly often a couple years ago, and then it gradually went away.  I never saw anything that definitively identified the cause of the problem, and there are unfortunately several different things in the path that can cause it.

In the SIP world, there is the periodic registration with the SIP server, but GV doesn't use SIP, so ignore any of those settings.

If you have a problem with your home internet service, it could cause GV to erroneously detect that the call has been hung up, so it kills the connection.  Happening at exact intervals is what is so mysterious.  So many other factors can interfere.  Just one that comes to mind is something else that gets kicked off periodically on your home network, like one of your devices periodically contacting a server to sync files or download updates.  If something even momentarily swamps your network connection, it could cause the drop.

For now, you may want to try running the VoIP call quality test at this website provided by Visualware.  The regular speedtest.net tests are meaningless for VoIP, which is sensitive to network jitter and latency and brief dropouts, not shown by basic speed tests.  Pick your geographic location, pick an endpoint, and let the test run a simulated VoIP conversation.  Use the G.711 codec.  A MOS of less than 4.0 is a sign that you have network problems.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

If you do have call quality or reliability issues with a GV call, note that when you immediately call back, Google's system is keeping track of these events.  If it determines a pattern of repeated dropped calls, followed by call-backs, it flags the call route for investigation.

CLTGreg

Thanks for the info especially the VOIP test. I ran it from Charlotte to San Jose and got jitter 0 packey loss 0 MOS of 4.2.

I agree that it's a mystery but my assumption is that an internal network glitch should cause a disconnect but not the hooks to flash on both lines. It's very similar as to getting an update pushed down from OBitalk. If I update my speed dials online or change any of the SP settings, a few seconds later the phone flashes on both lines even when on hook. This last time it was like that. I would expect the TA to be bothered by a network glitch internally but why would it push that disturbance out the ports?

SteveInWA

Quote from: CLTGreg on October 03, 2014, 01:06:15 AM
Thanks for the info especially the VOIP test. I ran it from Charlotte to San Jose and got jitter 0 packey loss 0 MOS of 4.2.

I agree that it's a mystery but my assumption is that an internal network glitch should cause a disconnect but not the hooks to flash on both lines. It's very similar as to getting an update pushed down from OBitalk. If I update my speed dials online or change any of the SP settings, a few seconds later the phone flashes on both lines even when on hook. This last time it was like that. I would expect the TA to be bothered by a network glitch internally but why would it push that disturbance out the ports?

Your VoIP test results are stellar.  So that's not the issue.  I say, WTF?!  It sounds like maybe your OBi is spontaneously rebooting, or otherwise dropping the connection.  Can you watch the lights on the box to see if the left-most LED blinks when this happens?