News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice forwarding to CallCentric Again?

Started by highpks, October 01, 2014, 05:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

CC and Google spoke on Monday early afternoon, and specific information was requested by CC from Google.  They are currently awaiting that information.

It's great that they spoke, and that SOMETHING is happening.  Hopefully this will result in a permanent resolution of the issue when the fault point is discovered and hopefully agreed to by both parties. 

VOIPisGreat

Rick

Update as of 11/13.  CC has been unsuccessful in contacting GV for an update after their initial contact despite repeated attempts.  Problem has now existed for two months and continues.

My work around - GV to IPCOMMs to CC - solves the problem of receiving calls but is not a resolution.

From my perspective, getting info only from CC, it appears this will never get resolved.  I remain hopeful that GV will step up and attempt to resolve it, but when the contact doesn't even have voicemail on the number he tells people to call that to me says something.

Again, my perspective, from the info I know. 

Rick

Update as of 11/13.  CC has been unsuccessful in contacting GV for an update after their initial contact despite repeated attempts.  Problem has now existed for two months and continues.

My work around - GV to IPCOMMs to CC - solves the problem of receiving calls but is not a resolution.

From my perspective, getting info only from CC, it appears this will never get resolved.  I remain hopeful that GV will step up and attempt to resolve it, but when the contact doesn't even have voicemail on the number he tells people to call that to me says something.

Again, my perspective, from the info I know.  

I will post any new information as I learn it in the hopes that by doing so GV will make efforts to fix the problem.  I believe the more info the better, and look forward to GV proving that it's not their issue if indeed that is true.

lhm.

Rick

To me the biggest problem with Google - whether Voice or any other product - is the inability to communicate directly with Google.  In this situation, Steve volunteered to get a Google contact involved, and that contact did in fact talk to CallCentric.  They agreed that Jake at GV would go do some research and report back, this was on October 27th.  Per CallCentric, Jake agreed to provide test and the trace information between their underlying carrier and CallCentric explaining why the calls are not reaching Telengy numbers.  That never happened.  CallCentric has tried to call Jake several times to follow up, Jake apparently does not have voicemail that kicks in (per CC), and they have not spoken since.

I have repeatedly tested my lines, including a FREE Dirt Cheap DID that CallCentric provided me to do testing.  GV forwarding to the Free DIDs never goes through promptly, often doesn't ring the phone at all or does 1 ring before going to GV voicemail.  Testing with the Dirt Cheap DID sometimes gets a ring within a few seconds, sometimes it takes multiple rings, sometimes it doesn't ring and goes to GV voicemail.  Forwarding to IPComms and then CC results in immediate rings.

CallCentric's perspective, which I 100% buy into after this period of exploration, is that GV has systems in place to route the calls in the least expensive way possible, and that results in this performance problem.  CallCentric says that GV has fixed this before, and then it reverts back when someone sees the increased cost incurred, and that they appear to take no steps to prevent it from reverting back.   Since it's been this way for two months or so, I believe this assessment.  

CallCentric has been very helpful in this exploration, I've never spoken to GV, just communicated to Steve who then communicates to them.  I've provided call logs, Steve has verified that they have been sent to GV.  I've explained the problem, and Steve's latest response on the GV forum is that he's done, they're done, the problem is only with Free DIDs (which it is not).    

Perhaps if they directly contacted me directly and I could show them the problem, they could see the issue and resolve it.  If they cared, which again it appears they do not.

I can say that I'm done going indirectly to GV.  If they want to contact me they can easily do so via the GV forum, they also have my phone number in their call logs so they could call me.  I've asked him to do so.

Until that happens, forwarding from GV to CC which worked fine for me for many months (May to September) is now not an option, and I'll be examining porting my numbers out of GV if no resolution is forth coming.  Too bad, it was a nice service, but it too unreliable to use going forward unless something changes.

Also, this is not just a GV to CC issue.  Without knowing the magnitude of the problem, it is easy to surmise potentially anyone calling a Telengy number with their GV line would experience very delayed ringing on the other end, which the caller would only notice if when the person picks up they say "hey, it rang 9 times" and the person on the other end said "nope, rang twice". 

I believe that GV either lacks the technology to monitor their network effectively, or doesn't look at the monitoring information, or looks at the major issues and not all the issues, or is governed by keeping costs as low as possible.  I endeavored to, and will continue to try to be the squeaky wheel.

sdinto

I've had the Obi-GV-CC setup working for over a month.  I was using it as recently as two days ago.  Then today, my GV calls stopped forwarding to my home phone (on Obi), but my cell was ringing as it was also connected to GV.  Odd.  So I tried to call the CC number directly, and it rang on my home phone.  It appears GV was not ringing my home phone even though the CC number was listed on my GV settings.  I removed the CC number from GV, and tried to connect it again.  GV now asks to verify that number, and calls it.  Despite numerous attempts to input the 2-digit code, it said, "I'm sorry, I didn't get that.  Please enter the two-digit code."  I tried several times, and sometimes, the phone would not even ring, or rang many seconds too late.  I still haven't connected my CC to GV now.  And I don't want to go back to choosing Google Chat to link my home phone.  Help?

azrobert

Try changing the DTMFMethod for the CC trunk to RFC2833 from the drop down list.
If GV still doesn't recognize the entered digits, try the other options.

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile X  General -> DTMFMethod: RFC2833

sdinto

^ Sorry, where should I make this change?  In CC, in Obi, or in GV?  I can't seem to find it.  Thanks.

sdinto

No worries, I tried again.  It took minutes before my phone rang, and I have deleted the code.  Luckily i remembered what it was, and GV connected to the number.  Must have been an unusual resetting that got the CC number disconnected to GV.

sdinto

I guess I spoke too soon.  Today, it doesn't ring on my Callcentric number again when the GV number is called.  It was working properly until 2 days ago, and I didn't change anything!

SteveInWA

Quote from: sdinto on December 16, 2014, 01:20:07 PM
I guess I spoke too soon.  Today, it doesn't ring on my Callcentric number again when the GV number is called.  It was working properly until 2 days ago, and I didn't change anything!

For the most reliable performance when forwarding from GV, get a paid Callcentric local number of your choice, (a "DID") instead of using Callcentric's free NY inbound DIDs.  In this case, you do get what you pay for.

carl

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 16, 2014, 05:02:51 PM
In this case, you do get what you pay for.

Exactly, that's why I dropped Google Voice- I got what I paid for.

Rick

GV is not reliable in forwarding phones.  While some post that if you use a paid Callcentric number instead of a free DID it will work properly, that was not my experience in intensive testing I did over a month.  Whether free or paid, forwarding by GV was inconsistent.

Callcentric was very cooperative in trying to work with GV to see if the issue could be resolved, but was unable to obtain any information from GV who ultimately stopped communicating on the subject. 

Setting up IPCOMMs to forward to Callcentric (GV to IPCOMMS to GV) does work reliably.  You can look at past threads of mine to see the discussion regarding this issue. 

MikeHObi

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 16, 2014, 05:02:51 PM

For the most reliable performance when forwarding from GV, get a paid Callcentric local number of your choice, (a "DID") instead of using Callcentric's free NY inbound DIDs.  In this case, you do get what you pay for.

Google had the same problem with paid DID's into Anveo, so why would paying for a number at Callcentric ensure the problem goes away?  Google has made it very clear that they do not want to spend any time they can avoid resolving edge issues with their voice system.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

carl

Quote from: MikeHObi on December 26, 2014, 06:31:03 PM

Google had the same problem with paid DID's into Anveo, so why would paying for a number at Callcentric ensure the problem goes away?  Google has made it very clear that they do not want to spend any time they can avoid resolving edge issues with their voice system.
It will not do anything, at last not reliably, but it's Google's way to shift the blame.