News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID name (CNAM) issue when forwarding GV to Callcentric

Started by SteveInWA, October 02, 2014, 03:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Hi there:

Recently, an old bug returned, such that users who are using a Callcentric / Telengy free NY DID number as a Google Voice forwarding destination, are receiving incorrect caller ID on forwarded inbound calls.  The symptom has been either anonymous/private CID, or some other, bogus phone number displayed.

I've been working with forum buddies Ramjet and Rick, to collect call logs, which I supplied to Google for analysis.  Google identified a problem with one of their carriers, who, in turn, fixed their problem this afternoon.  Caller ID is now coming in correctly for Ramjet and for me (I haven't confirmed with Rick yet).

This is an invitation to any other GV-->CC/Telengy free DID users to test this issue, and to let me know if it is now working properly for you, or not.  I'd like to get as much testing done as possible, while I have Google's attention on the issue.

Thanks!

Taoman

GV-->Callcentric is working fine for me.

GV-->IPKall is not working at all for me. Dialing IPKall number directly works fine.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on October 02, 2014, 04:37:05 PM
GV-->Callcentric is working fine for me.

GV-->IPKall is not working at all for me. Dialing IPKall number directly works fine.

Thanks! 

I'm not going to pursue the IPKall issue.  I recommend just using the CC DIDs instead.

CoalMinerRetired

Starting today, or very late yesterday, it seems calls forwarded from GV > CC are back to working fine, no delay when the first ring happens, and the CNAM is correct (as AFAICT).

SteveInWA

Thanks for the confirmation!  If this pops up again in the future, post back here; it should be easier to identify and resolve any similar issues in the future.

oecra

Is there a fix for the anonymous caller ID bug? I've read several different threads on the issue and unless I missed it, I did not see how to fix the problem.  I've only had the Google Voice and CallCentric setup for about a week, and for the first few days, everything seemed to be working properly.  I looked at my CallCentric call log, and it looks like all calls since Apr 29 have been coming in as anonymous.  I have not changed any settings since the initial set up.

ceg3

I have been using the same setup about the same period of time.  I have gotten a few unexpected "private caller" ID's.

oecra

Quote from: ceg3 on May 02, 2015, 04:57:57 PM
I have been using the same setup about the same period of time.  I have gotten a few unexpected "private caller" ID's.

I gave up on CC and started using Simonics for incoming CNAM.  Seems to be working fine so far.

ceg3

My comments aren't meant to demean this setup to obtain CNAM.  I think this a great way to get the job done and I highly recommend it.

cluckercreek

Quote from: ceg3 on May 05, 2015, 04:45:55 PM
My comments aren't meant to demean this setup to obtain CNAM.  I think this a great way to get the job done and I highly recommend it.

I agree. This has been invaluable to me since it's free!!

VOIPisGreat

In the past year and a half there has been a couple extensive periods that GV weren't properly forwarding to the Callcentric free DID, with delayed/no ring or/and wrong callerID. Just a few days ago I again had a few calls didn't ring the Callcentric DID.

So it's great when it works, but definitely not something you'd like to rely on.

Rick

I also had some issues a few days back.  And, the issues are not just for Callcentric free DIDs, they are for all CC DIDs.  In short, GV doesn't reliably forward calls to CC.  That's not going to change.

ceg3

Quote from: Rick on May 07, 2015, 06:20:29 AM
I also had some issues a few days back.  And, the issues are not just for Callcentric free DIDs, they are for all CC DIDs.  In short, GV doesn't reliably forward calls to CC.  That's not going to change.
I wonder if you think it worth giving up the CNAM by way of CC to insure more reliable GV, based on your experience.

oecra

I would. CNAM is useless if the calls aren't even going through.

Taoman

Quote from: oecra on May 04, 2015, 10:02:19 AM

I gave up on CC and started using Simonics for incoming CNAM.  Seems to be working fine so far.

I also use the Simonics GV gateway. I use CC only as failover now. For a one time fee of $5.99 you get CNAM and forwarding to SIP URI if desired. I register to the Simonics SIP server and I also forward via SIP URI to my VoIP.ms account for an additional failover route.

I experience less latency using the Simonics GV gateway than with either my CC or IPComms DIDs. So for me it's about more than just CNAM. I also get higher quality calls and SIP URI forwarding.

VOIPisGreat

For CNAM, Simonics GV gateway is the way to go. Cost is modest and works well so far. The service is new so the long term reliability is still unknown. I do notice that there's a short delay when answering a call which is a little irritating, but according to the FAQ there's nothing he can do about it.

The only thing I miss about callcentric is the call treatments, which is a really powerful tool to manage your incoming calls.