News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bridged calls out of LINE1 have low volume

Started by Obitalk, May 14, 2011, 08:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obitalk

Here is the scenario:

I dial a remote obi
Press '2' to dial a new number
I'm able to successfully connect and talk to the other person
I can hear and talk ok
The other party complains that my voice is faint/ or very low

Can someone in the forum help me with some suggestions on how to increase the volume at the receivers end so that they can hear me well.

Thanks

RonR

If the person having difficulty hearing you is being connected through the LINE Port (PSTN):

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> ChannelTxGain : (-15 to 15)

Default is 0.  Try 3 for starters.

Obitalk

Thanks RonR. I have made the suggested changes. I will let you know how it goes since its night time @ the remote obi timezone and I cannot test the changes.

Obitalk

I tried setting it to 3 and also went all the way upto 5. Still no luck. Also when the value was increased to 3 and 5, I seems to get my voice echoing and some sore of latency is being introduced.

RonR

Quote from: Obitalk on May 17, 2011, 12:32:04 PM
I tried setting it to 3 and also went all the way upto 5. Still no luck. Also when the value was increased to 3 and 5, I seems to get my voice echoing and some sore of latency is being introduced.

Then the low audio problem may not be between your OBi and the Central Office that your OBi is connected to.  It sounds like your CO is already driven hard enough.  The problem may be somewhere between your CO and the destination CO.  Or it could be a defective OBi.

If you replace the remote OBi with a regular telephone and make a call from it, does the called party hear OK?

Obitalk

Quote from: RonR on May 17, 2011, 01:12:51 PM
Then the low audio problem may not be between your OBi and the Central Office that your OBi is connected to.  It sounds like your CO is already driven hard enough.  The problem may be somewhere between your CO and the destination CO.  Or it could be a defective OBi.

If you replace the remote OBi with a regular telephone and make a call from it, does the called party hear OK?

Hi RonR

US Obi --> Call remote obi via Obitalk --> Press 2 and dial **8 0776123890 works ok (The TX gain is set to default)
US Obi --> Call remote obi via Obitalk --> Press 2 and dial **8 0777123765 dialled party cannot hear me (The TX gain was set to 0, 3, & 5)
US Obi --> Call remote obi via Obitalk --> Press 2 and dial **8 0777123455 dialled party cannot hear me (The TX gain was set to 0, 3, & 5)

It might be a coincidence. But any number with 0777 prefix causes me issues. But the 0776 prefix goes through fine.

I can certainly try dialling direct, but all its going to prove is that the remote mobile number is either working or not working.

I can also request someone at the remote obi location to dial **8 and then the number. But that just validates one leg or the transmission and omits the crucial US Obi to Remote Obi communication.

Thanks

RonR

Quote from: Obitalk on May 17, 2011, 03:19:34 PM
It might be a coincidence. But any number with 0777 prefix causes me issues. But the 0776 prefix goes through fine.

Doesn't this indicate the problem is with your remote telephone company and not your OBi?  They seem to have audio problems on calls to 0777 destinations.  Making a call from a regular telephone set connected to that phone line instead of the OBi would prove this if it gets the same results.

Obitalk

Hi RonR

I don't think its a problem with the remote phone company as both 0777 and 0776 are serviced by the same provider. And the puzzle continues...

Thanks

RonR

Quote from: Obitalk on May 20, 2011, 08:02:58 AM
I don't think its a problem with the remote phone company as both 0777 and 0776 are serviced by the same provider. And the puzzle continues...

Based on what you've said, I would bet the farm it is the remote phone comany.

You could easily verify whether it is or isn't by connecting a regular telephone set in place of the OBi and making a call to each number.

LeftRight

I would think the problem is somehow related to your PSTN service provider too.

Having someone at your remote obi to place 0777 call would surely confirm this, and OBi treats each PSTN call the same upon physical channel gain ...