News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Inexpensive E911 to use with Google Voice?

Started by sthoenn, October 04, 2014, 09:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sthoenn

Hi,
I've been happy with my Obi100 and Google Voice setup, however, my wife will feel a ton better if we have an E911 service.

I want to keep GV because it is free and international calling (the little we do) is inexpensive.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive E911 service? Anveo and PhonePower don't seem to offer just an E911 service.

Thanks!

Taoman

Anveo is your best bet if you're ok with a maximum of 5 911 calls per year. (I wonder what happens when you call the 6th time?)

https://www.anveo.com/e911obi.asp?sid=7a4cb8cccb15dd687c7e016bd01d995e

sthoenn

THANK YOU!!! Now I need to figure out how to just order the E911 service. They don't make it easy. Please advise if you have any tips. If not, I'll sort it out and say again, THANK YOU!!!

Rick

Callcentric is $1.50 setup and $1.50 per month for E911. 

lhm.

gv911.com for E911, $12.00 per year ($1.00 a month). Works with any service. I have used them for a couple of years now.

Additionally, see if smart911.com is available in your area for when you need to call 911 from a cell phone.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Rick on October 04, 2014, 11:18:35 AM
Callcentric is $1.50 setup and $1.50 per month for E911. 
The very nice thing about CC's 911 is you can dial 933 and it will do some kind of test call and read back your address to you.

lhm.

ceg3

I've used the Anveo e911 service before and it worked fine (though thank goodness I never needed it) and now Anveo is fully integrated into the Obi setup and can be auto-configured.

c3c3

The basic Anveo E911 service is $0.80/month.  Sign up directly with Anveo, not through Obitalk.  Free outgoing account, no incoming number, add E911.

Hollywood

I read on an Amazon review where the poster had the same question. His solution was to map 911 to the phone number of his local emergency dispatch center. In that case they won't have your address when you call, but at least you don't have to remember the actual number. When you dial 911, the OBI would dial the actual 10 digit number for you.

If that works for you, many forum users here can help you with the settings.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Hollywood on October 07, 2014, 11:20:38 PM
I read on an Amazon review where the poster had the same question. His solution was to map 911 to the phone number of his local emergency dispatch center. In that case they won't have your address when you call, but at least you don't have to remember the actual number. When you dial 911, the OBI would dial the actual 10 digit number for you.

If that works for you, many forum users here can help you with the settings.

That was an old solution, before numerous VoIP providers started offering E-911 service.  It's not recommended any more, unless, for some reason, no provider can offer E-911 service.

ceg3

Quote from: c3c3 on October 07, 2014, 10:42:04 PM
The basic Anveo E911 service is $0.80/month.  Sign up directly with Anveo, not through Obitalk.  Free outgoing account, no incoming number, add E911.

I think you may have pointed out a better way.  I wondered at first, but I see going through OBi is 15.00 a year for the service, and I used to have the basic you refer to.  I didn't think I needed the alerts function that adds to the cost, so I went with the basic plan when I had the service.

This good to know, since at the first of the year I am likely to not renew my "panic GV is ending" premium service I added and go back to just GV and Anveo 911.

Thurman

I think I will just go straight to the site. Now will the 5 times a year limit still apply.

arobatino

Quote from: Thurman on October 18, 2014, 04:19:42 PM
The basic Anveo E911 service is $0.80/month.  Sign up directly with Anveo, not through Obitalk.  Free outgoing account, no incoming number, add E911.
I think I will just go straight to the site. Now will the 5 times a year limit still apply.
The current Anveo TOS at https://anveo.com/legal.asp#e911 says
IN CASE OF EXCESSIVE 911 USAGE $5 FEE WILL BE CHARGED FOR EVERY 911 CALL MADE OVER THE LAST 30 DAYS. EXCESSIVE 911 USAGE IS CONSIDERED WHEN A CUSTOMER MAKES MORE THAN 2 911 CALLS DURING ANY 30 DAYS INTERVAL.
Presumably this means that if you made 3 calls over 30 days, you'd get charged $15, once for each call, not just the excess ones. On the other hand, https://www.anveo.com/e911obi.asp says
No more than 5 911 calls can be placed during 1 year.
I wonder if both are true - I wouldn't think they would need the 5 calls per year limit if they're charging $5 for each excessive use call.

OzarkEdge

>>IN CASE OF EXCESSIVE 911 USAGE $5 FEE WILL BE CHARGED FOR EVERY 911 CALL MADE OVER THE LAST 30 DAYS. EXCESSIVE 911 USAGE IS CONSIDERED WHEN A CUSTOMER MAKES MORE THAN 2 911 CALLS DURING ANY 30 DAYS INTERVAL.

>>No more than 5 911 calls can be placed during 1 year.

I trust Anveo means well and is a reputable service provider, but strings like these attached to 911 Emergency Services are ridiculous.  Denis should adjust his pricing to cover his costs and get rid of these arbitrary terms.  911 is for the common good and should not be compromised by a service provider.

OE

JohnMuir

Hi, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer..

I live on a county line, and want my 911 to go to one county's call center and not the other county's center. How does Anveo (etc.) determine which center my 911 call will connect to?

SteveInWA

Quote from: JohnMuir on May 04, 2016, 09:14:36 AM
Hi, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer..

I live on a county line, and want my 911 to go to one county's call center and not the other county's center. How does Anveo (etc.) determine which center my 911 call will connect to?

The SIP VoIP service providers contract out their 911 service to companies that specialize in it, and those companies have to follow the various Federal, state and local laws that define how the service works.  When you sign up, the system will ask you to enter your street address, and it will pick the correct PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point).  You can't select the PSAP yourself.  Don't try to outsmart the system by entering a phony address in the other county!  You'll send the fire trucks, ambulance or cops to the wrong address.  If your locale uses Smart911, sign up and enter all your information, on the Smart911 website.

JohnMuir

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 04, 2016, 09:21:41 AM
The SIP VoIP service providers contract out their 911 service to companies that specialize in it, and those companies have to follow the various Federal, state and local laws that define how the service works.  When you sign up, the system will ask you to enter your street address, and it will pick the correct PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point).  You can't select the PSAP yourself.  Don't try to outsmart the system by entering a phony address in the other county!  You'll send the fire trucks, ambulance or cops to the wrong address.  If your locale uses Smart911, sign up and enter all your information, on the Smart911 website.

Thanks SteveInWA, that was very helpful. No I'm not trying to outsmart the system. I simply want to ensure that my call gets routed to the county that my address belongs to. Sounds like that this is done automatically. Also sounds like this can be double-checked using 922 or 933.

SteveInWA

Quote from: JohnMuir on May 04, 2016, 12:23:37 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 04, 2016, 09:21:41 AM

Thanks SteveInWA, that was very helpful. No I'm not trying to outsmart the system. I simply want to ensure that my call gets routed to the county that my address belongs to. Sounds like that this is done automatically. Also sounds like this can be double-checked using 922 or 933.

That's correct.  I couldn't determine from your original post, where you said "...and want my 911 to go to one county's call center and not the other county's center", if "one" was your county, or "the other" was your county, but it sounds like you'll be all set when you go through the procedure.

Rick

It is perfectly legitimate to contact your 911 center to test your setup after contacting them on their non-emergency number to get permission. 

"Hello, I just got a new phone line setup and I'd like to test the connection to 911.  Would it be ok if I do that now?".

When you do test it, have them both verify the information that they see AND attempt to call you back.  Some E911 services give a temporary number that is used solely for callback purposes.