News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Backing Off (0s): Authentication Error

Started by wescape, October 09, 2014, 10:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wescape

I am getting the following error when trying to set up Google Voice:

Backing Off (0s):  Authentication Error

I know I have the correct password so I don't understand what the problem is.  Help?

SteveInWA

How, exactly, did you try to set up Google Voice?  Is this on a brand new unit, using the new Google Voice setup procedure, or is it a unit that was set up prior to about a month ago and now doesn't work, or what?

Obihai changed their firmware to accommodate Google's requirement to use the more-secure OAUTH 2.0 authentication protocol.  You now need to follow these instructions to set up your GV service provider:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Note that you must first be logged into the correct Google Voice account on your web browser, then open a new tab to go to the OBiTALK portal to set up GV.

wescape

It is a brand new unit and I am following all the instructions that came with it.  I am already logged in to GV.

SteveInWA

What model is it (100, 110, 200 or 202)

What firmware version is loaded?  Go to the OBiTALK portal, and get into Expert mode, and then look at system status for the firmware version.

If you follow my instructions completely, then the backing off / authentication error should go away.

wescape

I went ahead and followed your instructions but it's doing the exact same thing it was before.

The model is 200.  The software is:  SoftwareVersion   3.0.1 (Build: 4420)

When I looked at SPI in the expert portal there is a red exclamation mark next to the following:

X_UserAgentPort   5080
AuthUserName           xxx@xxxx.com (my google voice sign in email)

What does that mean?

SteveInWA

This is indicating that you are not signed into an acceptable Google account in the same web browser session, in a separate tab, as you are also signed into the OBiTALK web portal.

You said " xxx@xxxx.com (my google voice sign in email) ?"

Is it your-user-name@gmail.com ?  It needs to be a Gmail account.  You need to have one browser tab open, logged into a Google / Gmail account, not a personal domain or some non-Google email address, and another browser tab open, logged into the OBiTALK portal.  When you add the GV account to SP1, you should see a pop-up window from Google, asking if it is ok for OBiTALK to access your account offline, you should agree.  You should then see a spinner wheel icon for several minutes while it exchanges security tokens between the portal and Google.  You should then see a message that it was successful.

Did you see all those things?  If not, you should delete the SP1 configuration, and start over from the beginning.

wescape

I have a google account with google voice that I am logged into in a separate tab but I do not use gmail.  I see the pop up window asking to access my account offline and the spinner wheel but then it says authentication error.  Should I change my log in email to a gmail email?

SteveInWA

If I were you, I'd get a good night's sleep first, and then do this, but of course, the sleep part is up to you   ::)

• It's actually a good idea to attach a Google Voice number to a dedicated account, for maximum security, and so that it doesn't interfere with anything else you do with Google.
  • Go to https://mail.google.com and set up a brand new Gmail account.  Pick two random series of upper and lower case letters and numbers, one for the user name and one for the password, so you won't get any SPAM. You're not going to actually use this for email anyhow.
  • Extremely important:  write the user name and password down, and store it in a safe place.  As soon as you have some time and energy, also set up a recovery email address (use your other email account) and a recovery phone number (NOT your GV number!!!).  This is because, if you lose the user name and password, and don't set up a recovery method, you will never be able to get back into your account to manage your number.
  • Go through the couple minutes of setup stuff to get the new Gmail account working, then log out.
  • Log back into your existing GV account.
  • Now, you are going to follow these instructions to transfer your existing GV phone number over to the Gmail account you just created:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124 
  • After you do that, you need to add a forwarding telephone number and verify it with a phone call from Google.
  • While signed into this new GV account, open another tab, and go to Gmail using the same new account you just created.  Click the avatar on the left side of the page (the generic blue head and shoulders icon), open Chat, and make one outbound phone call to any number, then hang up.  This will install Chat as a forwarding target on your new GV account.  Switch back to the new account, go to the Phones tab of settings, make sure Chat is now there on the list, and add a check mark next to it.
  • Go back to the OBiTALK portal in another browser tab, delete SP1 and factory reset your OBi, and then add it back to the portal using the ***5 method, and finally, perform the GV/OBi setup routine again

wescape

Thank you for the help.  I finally got connected and I can make outgoing calls but I am still not able to receive incoming calls.  The troubleshooting section here:  http://www.obihai.com/faq/GV-and-the-OBi/My-OBi-Does-Not-Ring

says I need to have the google chat box checked but this box is absent.  Do you know how I can get it to appear? Or do you know of another way I can receive calls?

Wes

SteveInWA

Great.

But,  I actually answered that question twice already -- you need to make one outbound call via Chat to get it to appear as a forwarding target on the Google Voice Settings page, Phones tab:

"While signed into this new GV account, open another tab, and go to Gmail using the same new account you just created.  Click the avatar on the left side of the page (the generic blue head and shoulders icon), open Chat, and make one outbound phone call to any number, then hang up.  This will install Chat as a forwarding target on your new GV account.  Switch back to the new account, go to the Phones tab of settings, make sure Chat is now there on the list, and add a check mark next to it."

And, in my linked directions,

"Verify that you also have "Google Chat" listed as one of your forwarding targets on the list.  If you want to receive calls via GV on your OBi, you must have a check mark next to Google Chat.  If you are going to instead forward inbound calls to a SIP ITSP (Callcentric, Anveo, voip.ms, etc.) phone number, then add that number to your forwarding phone list, and later, add it to your OBi as another Service Provider.
If you do not see Google Chat, then open another browser tab, log into Gmail, not GV, and use Google Chat to make one outbound phone call.  This will restore Chat to your list of forwarding targets."

Note:  If you do not see your chat avatar on the left side of the page in Gmail, you need to install the Google voice and video web browser plugin.

Here is a post with complete instructions on how to do that:

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/DvhkFw1kknA/discussion

ballew

I'm having the same issue with a OBi100 Hardware Version 3.4 with software version 1.3.0 (Build:2872).

I have followed the installation instructions but still receive the same error.

My Google account does not use a gmail address and that option is not allowed due to security issues with gmail accounts. The OBiTalk FAQ about using GoogleVoice states:
Can I use a non-@Gmail account Username with Google Voice on the OBi?
Yes, you can use non-gmail account (such as your Google Apps account) and your Google Voice account can be configured on the OBi.

If the OBi100 cannot be configured to operate with GoogleVoice without GMail then I will have to return it.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ballew on October 15, 2014, 09:20:03 PM
I'm having the same issue with a OBi100 Hardware Version 3.4 with software version 1.3.0 (Build:2872).

I have followed the installation instructions but still receive the same error.

My Google account does not use a gmail address and that option is not allowed due to security issues with gmail accounts. The OBiTalk FAQ about using GoogleVoice states:
Can I use a non-@Gmail account Username with Google Voice on the OBi?
Yes, you can use non-gmail account (such as your Google Apps account) and your Google Voice account can be configured on the OBi.

If the OBi100 cannot be configured to operate with GoogleVoice without GMail then I will have to return it.

Return it.

ballew

OK, thanks Steve. I had high hopes for ObiTalk products when I got this as a proof of product line test.

I'll contact OBihai support first (I assume that SteveInWA is not a customer tech representative) so they can explain their FAQ entry first then I'll return it and then look for an alternative product.

SteveInWA

Let me be less ambiguous:

You must use a Google account with Google Voice.  That account doesn't need to also have Gmail.  If that's what you have, you must sign into it on one tab of your browser, and then sign into the OBiTALK portal on another tab of the same browser, to set up Google Voice on the OBi.  This will kick off the process of having you permit access to the Google account, and will generate the necessary secure access tokens for future access.

If you do not already have a Google account, you can set one up here:

https://accounts.google.com/signupwithoutgmail

If you can't or do not want to do that, then send the unit back.

ballew

OK, I am using a Google account just not with a GMail email address.

I'll try again and go through all of the steps again.

Thanks for your help.

brucers

Ok, I'm having the same problem. I logged into my google.com/voice page on one tab and I have a google voice number. I also logged into the Obitalk page on another tab in same browser. I have a newly purchased OBi100 and it has firmware 1.3.0 2872. I also get the "backing off, authentication error" when trying to configure GV.  As with the previous poster, I also do not have a gmail account with a gmail address(just my local ISP email address) and I have the red exclamation points next to the value of my "AuthUserName" and "X_UserAgentPort" in the Expert Config menu. I'm sorry, but I'm confused on this. I already have a google account that I'm signed into on one tab. Do I have to open a gmail account too?

SteveInWA

Have you actually already set up a Google Voice account, using that non-Gmail address?  You need to follow the instructions and get Google Chat calling added to Google Voice before you can do anything with GV on your OBi.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

brucers

Yes, I go to google.com/voice and in the left side of the page it lists the number I have picked for GV under "Your Number:".  Then I click on settings and under "Forward calls to:" it lists Google Chat with my non-gmail email address and I have that box checked. Then under that I have my "Home phone" box unchecked. I just want to replace my landline. I have no mobile phones.

SteveInWA

Start over, from a factory reset, and follow my exact instructions.  Report back here with details of the specific step that fails to complete as described.

brucers

So, I should set up a gmail account then? That is something I never did.