News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Backing Off (0s): Authentication Error

Started by wescape, October 09, 2014, 10:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

If you want to go through the drill again, with your non-Gmail address, you're welcome to try, since it's unclear to me what has gone wrong.  But, if you just want to get things over with and get it working, then yes, set up a dedicated Gmail account to use with Google Voice.

brucers

Well, I'm not having much luck even setting up a gmail account. After signing on to my gmail there is a message on the far left column which says "something's not right". "We're having trouble connecting to Google. We'll keep trying..."    Errors: 202,212,213,214,215,216,220

SteveInWA

It's probably a temporary network issue.  Try again tomorrow.  If it doesn't work, do the typical rubber-chicken-waving of powering off your computer and all network equipment (switch, router, modem), then power on the modem, let it boot up and then power up the rest of the stuff.

brucers

Well, it's still doing that but apparently I got the gmail account set up and I reset the OBi100 and my status is now "connected".  So I made a couple of  calls and they were received. I had them call me back, but it never rang. I did get their voicemail though.

SteveInWA

You must put a check mark in the box, to the left of the Google Chat forwarding destination on the Google Voice Phones settings page, to have your OBi-attached phone receive inbound calls.

brucers

Yes, I did have that box checked. Well, it's too late for me to call anyone to have them try call me back, so I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

brucers

OK, I had the Google chat box checked, but I had to associate it with the new gmail address I had just created to replace the non-gmail address I previously had google chat tied to. So, I am now receiving calls too and everything seems to be working. Thanks again!

pseudoswede

As suggested in this thread, this Obi200 device has always had a dedicated Google Account only used for Google Voice (for my wife's work). This device has been working great since September 2014 until this past Monday. We have never changed the password, but we kept getting this "Backing Off: Authentication Error".

There was another solution posted stating that you should delete the device from the dashboard, perform a factory reset, and start over again. I tried that, and it still didn't work.

What did work, though, was going into the web admin console for the Obi device. I clicked on the "Voice Services" menu, then the "SP1 Service" button (which is what Google Voice is setup on). Under the "SIP Credentials" section, the "AuthPassword" field was blank. Once I entered the Google Account password, then pressed the "Submit" button at the bottom, SP1 immediately changed to "Connected" status!

Hopefully my solution may help those who Google the error message (and lead me to this thread).

linar

Thanks for suggestions. I had same issue since last 2 days. Below worked for me.

Login to device (Find IP from router login or by dialing * * * from connected phone, then 1).
Enter device IP in broser http://ipaddress ex:http://192.1.2.122 .. default admin/admin user pass.
Probably just rebooting by clicking reboot might work. But I did below.
Wen to voice services, sp1, unchecked default password for gmail and entered my password. This may not be safe entering your gmail password here. Then cleared the password, checked default password.
Rebooted the device by clicking reboot button.

Then logged into obitalk dashboad and it now showed connected. All is good from here.

SteveInWA

Quote from: linar on October 23, 2016, 06:41:12 PM
Thanks for suggestions. I had same issue since last 2 days. Below worked for me.

Login to device (Find IP from router login or by dialing * * * from connected phone, then 1).
Enter device IP in broser http://ipaddress ex:http://192.1.2.122 .. default admin/admin user pass.
Probably just rebooting by clicking reboot might work. But I did below.
Wen to voice services, sp1, unchecked default password for gmail and entered my password. This may not be safe entering your gmail password here. Then cleared the password, checked default password.
Rebooted the device by clicking reboot button.

Then logged into obitalk dashboad and it now showed connected. All is good from here.

That was a "sacrifice the chicken over it" fix.  OBi devices no longer use the password field.  Authentication is performed during setup, via OAUTH secure token exchange.

kindzmarauli

Just had the same issue:
1. Transferred the GV number to a different (non-GMail) Google account
2. Went to ObiTalk dashboard to update GV credentials
3. Authorized per instructions
4. Got "Backing off: Authentication Error"
5. Authorized again in a different browser, different computer, different OS (just to be sure), after spitting three times over my left shoulder (just to be sure) - same error
6. Flashed the firmware (was probably about a year old) to 3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX) on Obi202
7. It rebooted and then authenticated to the GV account successfully - on its own.

Maybe it needed a reboot, maybe it needed the newer firmware. Now I'll never know.

However one thing for sure: needing a Gmail account is a hoax. Just need a Google account (with Google Voice account being active on it, of course.)