News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configuring Obi100 manually to bypass obitalk.com for Google Voice?

Started by voipnoob, October 11, 2014, 06:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

voipnoob

Hey guys.

I recently bought Obi100 device used from eBay. I ran a factory reset and did set up Google Voice through obitalk.com. Everything works great this way!

However, I read that it was entirely possible to bypass obitalk.com and add Google Voice to the device through its web-based interface manually. I tried some guides online that basically change the signaling service to Google Voice and adding user/pass authentication. However, I was never successful. I would always get the "no service configured error".

The guides were from 2013 so they may be outdated. Does anyone know what the trick is? Is it even possible to do still? Thanks for any help.

azrobert

Firmware level Build2824 was the last to allow local configuration of GV. When you configured GV ObiTalk downloaded the latest firmware and you can't downgrade firmware, so you are SOL.

You can make other configuration changes locally after the GV setup on OBiTalk.

See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8685.0

voipnoob

Oh, I see. I guess as long as it works, it's all good. Thanks for the link. I'll keep it handy if I need to make changes locally.

FreeServiceForLife

Quote from: azrobert on October 11, 2014, 07:41:08 AM
Firmware level Build2824 was the last to allow local configuration of GV.

Azrobert, I have not done anything to my OBi100 as far as upgrading the firmware and I remain on Build2824.  You see any downside to not upgrading?  The upside is as you state above allowing local configuration of GV.

Thanks,

azrobert

I have an OBi110 with 2824 and I'm not planning to upgrade unless I need a fix applied. Other people prefer to use the latest firmware. The choice is yours.

There have been several reports of bricked OBi1xx's after an upgrade. I have no idea if the upgrade was the cause.

See: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,29531587?hilite=bricked+obi